Ininotecan/Campostar

Patti1
Patti1 Member Posts: 109 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My husband starts Irinotecan/Campostar on Tue for 8 treatments. He has had Folfox/Avastin for 4 mo, 28 Rad Treatments and rectal and liver surgery. He does have a permanent colostomy. ANy ideas what we might be facing with this type of chemo. (side Effects) Thanks and Merry Christmas to all

Comments

• shmurciakova
    shmurciakova Member Posts: 906 Member
    I was on Camptosar 3 years ago. I had 6 rounds of it during the summer of 2003. I did not get the runs like most people report, to the contrary I was plugged up, but I think that is unusual. Diarrhea is the most common side effect as far as I know, I do not have a colostomy either so you might wait to hear from other people with ostomies about how they did with it and how they coped with the side effects. Other than getting nauseous after the first treatment, my nurses figured out how to pre medicate me and I did not have that problem again. I did loose most of my hair and looked like one of the Peanuts crew by the time I got done, but now my hair is back as long as ever!
    Good luck!
    Susan
  • kerry
    kerry Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    Hi Patti,
    I have been on Camptosar a couple of times. The first time my side effects were dimished taste, diahhrea and lots of nausea. The second time around, I lost lots of hair, very little diahrea, but a general over sick feeling for several days following treatment.

My best wishes to you and your husband. Please let us know how he is doing and any other question you may have.

Kerry
  • nanuk
    nanuk Member Posts: 1,358 Member
    you can probably expect more toxic side effects from the irinotecan/Campostar than the Folfox..although everyone is different, I could not tolerate ininotecan-(SP?) and had to stop it..
    bottom line with all these drugs is how much toxicity can we tolerate, and which will kill us first, the chemo or the cancer? If he is one of the lucky ones who has minimal side effects, then maybe the drugs can successfully kill the cancer..
    Bud
  • Monicaemilia
    Monicaemilia Member Posts: 455 Member
    Hi Patti - as you have already been able to tell, everyone has different reactions to these drugs. Personally, I have an iliestomy and am currently on both drugs, plus Leucovorin and Avastin. I have only had two rounds, but so far have noticed slight nausea at the beginning of the infusion, no diahrrea (instead I seem to be slightly constipated), I did start losing more hair with the second round, and I did get some mouth sores. My biggest complaint would be extreme fatigue for the first few days, but Oxaliplatin/Xeloda did exactly the same thing to me. I'm not finding this regimen too taxing. I hope the same goes for your husband. Merry X-mas! Monica
  • libris
    libris Member Posts: 23
    I was treated with Irinotecan for 4 months earlier this year. I was told that they would typically treat for 4 weeks in a row, then give 1 week off. I never made it through 4 treatments and needed my week off after each 3- sometimes because I had low white blood cell count (I needed neupogen injections), sometimes because I just felt too lousy. I had lost all my hair after about 6 treatments. At the time I had an ileostomy and didn't suffer the typical diarrhea associated with the treatment as the complications arise in the colon itself. Your husband may have some of this side effect since he does have at least part of a working colon. The most unpleasant effect for me was the near constant nausea which I was unable to get under control with any of several drugs that were prescribed, nor with acupuncture and chinese herbs. I hope that your husband's experience is not too harrowing. Many have breezed through with this regimen. Best of luck!
    Cynthia