Tips for Nausea? What works ?

Options
NWmom
NWmom Member Posts: 80
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi all, Carl just turned in his pump today at noon. Overall, I think he has done remarkably well for his first go round. I do wonder what all of you do for nausea? He is on three different meds and is taking them religiously, but he is still having nausea. I have told him he needs to eat like a pregnant woman, small amounts all the time which is helping a little. Any tips or hints? Thanks,
Heather

Comments

• Betsydoglover
    Betsydoglover Member Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Hi Heather -

Your advice to eat like a pregnant woman is pretty good (though I'll bet Carl was never pregnant and so he may not get it!). Not sure what his drugs are, but given the pump reference I am guessing 5FU is one. I was on Xeloda (oral 5FU), oxaliplatin and Avastin. I had mild, low-level nausea. When I received my infusions, I had Decadron (dexamethasone) and Kytril as anti-nausea drugs as part of the infusion protocol. Then I had both Compazine (generic) and Ativan as take home drugs (plus the first 3 cycles I had Anzemet (very expensive anti-nausea drug - given to me by my oncologist).

I found that if I took the Compazine regularly - regardless of how I felt the first week - it MOSTLY abated the nausea. Sometimes it didn't and I took Ativan in addition. I really found that consistency in taking these drugs made the big difference. I was never really sick(just twice - and odd you should mention pregnancy, but it was like that - I vomited and then I felt absolutely fine!)

Wishing you the best - have him eat small amounts of whatever food seems appealing, keep taking the Compazine regularly and hopefully the situation will improve.

Take care,
    Betsy
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Options
    Hi, Heather -

Something I have done when hit with nausea at sea is apply a couple drops of white ginger oil on my wrist at the point where they take your radial pulse. I can't tell you what it does, but it helps amazingly. And it's all natural. You can get the white ginget oil at most healthfood stores.

I also agree with eating small and often - stick to carbs - and something that comes up as easily as it goesdown (just in case, you know)

- SB
  • NWmom
    NWmom Member Posts: 80
    Options

Hi Heather -

Your advice to eat like a pregnant woman is pretty good (though I'll bet Carl was never pregnant and so he may not get it!). Not sure what his drugs are, but given the pump reference I am guessing 5FU is one. I was on Xeloda (oral 5FU), oxaliplatin and Avastin. I had mild, low-level nausea. When I received my infusions, I had Decadron (dexamethasone) and Kytril as anti-nausea drugs as part of the infusion protocol. Then I had both Compazine (generic) and Ativan as take home drugs (plus the first 3 cycles I had Anzemet (very expensive anti-nausea drug - given to me by my oncologist).

I found that if I took the Compazine regularly - regardless of how I felt the first week - it MOSTLY abated the nausea. Sometimes it didn't and I took Ativan in addition. I really found that consistency in taking these drugs made the big difference. I was never really sick(just twice - and odd you should mention pregnancy, but it was like that - I vomited and then I felt absolutely fine!)

Wishing you the best - have him eat small amounts of whatever food seems appealing, keep taking the Compazine regularly and hopefully the situation will improve.

Take care,
    Betsy

He is on Folfox, and also zophran, decadron, and Ativan. We also have some compazine hanging around. The way the docs made it seem was that he would only need the meds during the treatment and that's it. I am guessing now that he may need to take the meds through the weekend......
  • nanuk
    nanuk Member Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    spongebob said:

Hi, Heather -

Something I have done when hit with nausea at sea is apply a couple drops of white ginger oil on my wrist at the point where they take your radial pulse. I can't tell you what it does, but it helps amazingly. And it's all natural. You can get the white ginget oil at most healthfood stores.

I also agree with eating small and often - stick to carbs - and something that comes up as easily as it goesdown (just in case, you know)

- SB

get away from decadron & Zofran, and try avitan alone. The health food store has ginger cancy that helped me. Ativan was the only thing that helped me..they have it in liquid, which works faster. Medical marijuana helped also-(capsules)
  • CAMaura
    CAMaura Member Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    It seems as if some anti-nausea meds work for some and not for others. It might be a case of trying a few to see which one(s) work well for his system...
    Sad to say that after my first treatment, I was in the ER. My ststem was really having a hard time with the first groups of meds for nausea. But, my doc switched to EMEND by Merck and it really did work pretty well. Ask about. It is expensive, but my onc's office had samples for my treatment and Merck has a great plan to help customers.
    Do make suret hat you tell your docs - constantly - about the side effects. Some things cannot be avoided, but nausea and vomitting can and should be taken care of immediately.
    All the best to you. This is a tough time, but with you by Carl's side, I am sure he will be doing well. Take care and Happy Holidays!!!
    -Maura
  • alta29
    alta29 Member Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    dexamethasone/emend and suppositories works wonders for me
  • Triggin
    Triggin Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Try Medical Marijuana!
    I used medical marijuana everyday throughout my year long treatment for my Rhabdomyosarcoma when i was 19 yrs old. Now i am free of cancer and still occasionaly use, but this is what got me through my year long treatment. It gave me an appetite and when you eat, your body gets the nutrients it needs to keep your blood counts up! it took any pain away and made me feel normal, which was a huge relief! I would highly recommend it! don't be scared, it is not Bad for you. cheers

scott
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    Triggin said:

Try Medical Marijuana!
    I used medical marijuana everyday throughout my year long treatment for my Rhabdomyosarcoma when i was 19 yrs old. Now i am free of cancer and still occasionaly use, but this is what got me through my year long treatment. It gave me an appetite and when you eat, your body gets the nutrients it needs to keep your blood counts up! it took any pain away and made me feel normal, which was a huge relief! I would highly recommend it! don't be scared, it is not Bad for you. cheers

scott

Amen
    Too bad it's not available in every state legally, but I hear you. I'm all for it.
    -phil
  • Mark L Fuzek
    Mark L Fuzek Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2016 #10
    Options
    Tips for Nausea? What works ?

Fortunately, I had no nausea during or after 3 treatments, but they gave me Zofran before starting chemo. I also have phenergan (promethazine) for nausea. It makes one sleepy, whereas the Zofran does not. Ginger and GingerAle with real ginger will also help relieve nausea.

• kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    edited November 2016 #11
    Options
    Emend

So sorry to hear about the nausea.  I had constant nausea for about 6 days during and after treatments.  Finally found Emend, a CRAZY expensive anti-nausea which, thankfully, my insurance covered for me.  It was the only one that really helped.  Sugar-free lemon drops helped with the nasty taste that contributed to the nausea, as well.