Back from my reconstruction!!!

Options
jamilli
jamilli Member Posts: 16
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am back from having my reconstruction done at UCLA Medical Center. Everything went well. I had to have 3 surgeries in 8 days. My surgeon, Dr James Watson, was amazing and treated me like gold as did his staff. The DIEP procedure done on the right looks real nice and I had an implant put in on the left for symmetry.I can't say I'm thrilled about the incision in my lower abdomen, but I am happy to have my own tissue on the right.
It's been an interesting ride. This is a nasty diagnosis to have and everything that must be accomplished to beat cancer is very complex and burdomsome. I don't know what to say other than I feel fortunate and happy.
I wish you all the best this Thanksgiving Day (I am recuperating, the husband took the kids to the park). But most of all I wish you all to stay vigilant in your dealings with health care professionals and with your self examinations.

Comments

• mc2001
    mc2001 Member Posts: 343
    Options
    Wonderful news, Jamili! Thank you for sharing this with us. When we experience cancer or other horrible experiences and come to have some good things happen to us, ie. a nice breast surgery, it makes Thanksgiving that much more precious. I hope you have a good day of relaxing while hubby and the kiddlings are away for a while. God bless you and yours.
    -Michael (leukemia survivor)
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Welcome home! What a wonderful word, home! And this marks the beginning of your NEW future!!!

I raise my glass....

Hugs, Kathi
  • kathydaly
    kathydaly Member Posts: 81
    Options
    I add my all my good wishes, congratulations!!

I had a tram-flap done on my 1st bc, and couldn't have been happier. I too had that incision, lengthy, it was gone to nothing in 3 yrs., I swear to God, I don't even see it! So more congrat's, since you will be a bikini baby again if you so desire, lollol, Kathy
  • Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    Options
    Glad that all has gone well. Glad to see that your family has managed to take this in stride. I am sure that the kids enjoyed their day at the park.... and it gave you a little rest time...

Take Care.... God Bless...

Susan
  • Terri1438
    Terri1438 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello, I am having a double mastectomy with diep flap reconstruction on March 5th. I am really scared and was wondering how you are and how you dealt with the fear of having such a lengthy surgery.