Rise in blood pressure with A/C treatment

Options
mrsbetty2
mrsbetty2 Member Posts: 24
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just finished my 3rd A/C treatment with Neulasta shot the day after. Both days my blood pressure was 20pts higher than 2 weeks ago.
Has anyone else experienced to rise in pressure. I have never had a problem before. Is this normal?

Comments

• Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    Options
    My blood pressure stayed fairly consistent during A/C and taxol/Herceptin Didn't see any changes.

Susan
  • OregonSeaStar
    OregonSeaStar Member Posts: 41
    Options
    It could be that it isn't the treatment itself that is causing the blood pressure to rise. Perhaps its the anxiety surrounding the treatment that causes the change.
  • amelia
    amelia Member Posts: 56
    Options
    Yes, my blood pressure went up and so did my heart rate. Went from a normal 72 beats per min, up to over 100. Can't remember what my blood pressure was exactly, but I know it went up. Also my blood pressure and heart rate seemed to be high for my entire treatment of AC with neulasta. I believe my problem was more the neulasta than the AC. I was Ok until 2 days after the Neulasta shot and things went down hill from there. They say "bone pain", but this wasn't bone pain. I know this because I know for a fact you do not have any bones in your tongue and it hurt!! Just the slightest touch to my skin from head to toe and I hurt. Couldn't do a thing but lay still for two or more days. Are your treatments every two weeks or three? Mine was every two weeks. My blood prssure seems to be Ok now, three years later, maybe just a little high for me. But that could be my age having just turned 50.

Keep the faith, things will get better. The aches and pains from chemo are mostly gone now and I have a full head of hair, even better than before. I was stawberry blond and the color changed to a darker almost brown, but I have been using sun-in and it keeps my stawberry highlights like they used to be. Keeping you and all survivors in my prayers, Amelia
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others...I suspect the Neulasta. I had a love/hate relationship with it....

I have naturally low blood pressure normally, so when they said "Normal range", it was actually high for me.

I am 7 months away from the chemo, and everything is back to MY normal...I still drink 2 quarts of water a day, if I can...

Hugs, Kathi
  • mrsbetty2
    Options
    Thanks for your insight. I have treatments every 2 weeks of A/C. I have one more then it changes to taxol for 4 treatments. I looked up all the drugs they give me and the only one that could affect blood pressure is the Decadron i get thru the iv. My pressure usually is 120/70 and yesterday it was 166/84. The nurses were concerned. They told me to monitor it for a week and if it didn't go down to see my primary DR.
    The Neulasta shots do make everything ache and sore to the touch. Last week my mouth was tender to spicy food. Have lost all my hair.I know i will make it thru this terrible disease as my daughter just got done with chemo for Ovarian cancer. I was her angel thru hers and now she is my angel. We are closer than ever. My family has been great. Just have to keep the faith. Thanks girls.
  • karenack
    karenack Member Posts: 90
    Options
    mrsbetty2 said:

Thanks for your insight. I have treatments every 2 weeks of A/C. I have one more then it changes to taxol for 4 treatments. I looked up all the drugs they give me and the only one that could affect blood pressure is the Decadron i get thru the iv. My pressure usually is 120/70 and yesterday it was 166/84. The nurses were concerned. They told me to monitor it for a week and if it didn't go down to see my primary DR.
    The Neulasta shots do make everything ache and sore to the touch. Last week my mouth was tender to spicy food. Have lost all my hair.I know i will make it thru this terrible disease as my daughter just got done with chemo for Ovarian cancer. I was her angel thru hers and now she is my angel. We are closer than ever. My family has been great. Just have to keep the faith. Thanks girls.

My blood pressure has pretty much remained the same throughout. I will have #3 of A/C next Thursday. My hair, too, is all gone and ironically, I am taking my 14 year old daughter to see the musical "Hairspray" tonight!!! I haven't had as much nausea this time thanks to Emend but I have been so utterly exhausted. My mouth is also starting to have problems as my gums are swollen, sore and bleed easily. My onc. called in "magic mouthwash" for me, but I can't tell that it has really helped yet. Mrsbetty2, I have wondered how you are doing, it's good to see your post. Take care everyone!
  • Susan956
    Options
    mrsbetty2 said:

For Mouth sours try a mouth wash called Biotene, it is for dry mouth and works wonders in making your mouth sores feel better.

Also if you don't get good results from Neulasta or you get too sore, ask them about Neupogene. It is a shot you have to take every day, but it sure reduced the side effects for me and worked much better on my blood count as well.

By the way... one of my side effects.... of cancer...was that my Mom and I became so much closer. We had always been close... but she became my strength when I was down.... She was and still is my angel....

(((( Hugs)))))

Susan
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Susan956 said:

For Mouth sours try a mouth wash called Biotene, it is for dry mouth and works wonders in making your mouth sores feel better.

Also if you don't get good results from Neulasta or you get too sore, ask them about Neupogene. It is a shot you have to take every day, but it sure reduced the side effects for me and worked much better on my blood count as well.

By the way... one of my side effects.... of cancer...was that my Mom and I became so much closer. We had always been close... but she became my strength when I was down.... She was and still is my angel....

(((( Hugs)))))

Susan

Hey, Susan!

One of MY side effects was getting back with my sister...we had not spoken for 2 years!!!!

Hugs, Kathi
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398
    Options
    KathiM said:

Hey, Susan!

One of MY side effects was getting back with my sister...we had not spoken for 2 years!!!!

Hugs, Kathi

One of the side effects one can stand for sure. Nice to see bridges being built and your ability to cross and come together. I am still grateful for the old friends that I got back in touch with after more than 20 years because we still thought enough of each other. Good for you and being open to it...
    Tara
  • Susan956
    Options
    KathiM said:

Hey, Susan!

Hugs, Kathi

It really is true that the beast can have some good side effects....

Susan
  • mrsbetty2
    Options
    Susan956 said:

It really is true that the beast can have some good side effects....

Susan

Thank you girls for all your insight and advice. It is comforting to know we are all in this together.My blood pressure is back to normal as i check it every day. I have learned alot by checking these boards. I only have one more treatment of A/C and then i have 4 treatments of Taxol with the Neulasta Shot the day after. Can anyone tell me if the Taxol will be better or worse as far as side affects. My Dr. said i won't need to take the emend so does that mean i won't have the nausea? Thanks again for all your insight.
  • Susan956
    Options
    mrsbetty2 said:

Thank you girls for all your insight and advice. It is comforting to know we are all in this together.My blood pressure is back to normal as i check it every day. I have learned alot by checking these boards. I only have one more treatment of A/C and then i have 4 treatments of Taxol with the Neulasta Shot the day after. Can anyone tell me if the Taxol will be better or worse as far as side affects. My Dr. said i won't need to take the emend so does that mean i won't have the nausea? Thanks again for all your insight.

How Wonderful that you are almost finished with A/C. It is much harder on the body than taxol... or at least for me. Taxol doesn't cause nausea, so your stomach will start feeling much better. It also didn't make me as tired. It does have a couple of it's own side effects. After a few of the treatments your hands and feet will start to hurt, it causes temporary nerve damage...it does get better. Your nails will also start to look really bad and you may loose some of them. I learned how to use nail polish real well. It covers up the oddities. I was lucky and only lost 2 toenails. I hope you will be even luckier. But in general at least for me it was much easier.

Again keep drinking water. It seems to help get the poisions out of bodies.

When I was in treatment their was a lady named Mrs. Betty... who was a great help to me. She always let me know what things would be like and showed me that their would be life after treatment.

Take Care....God Bless (((((Hugs))))

Susan