Plan B!

susabella
susabella Member Posts: 46
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Well, on to plan B! I had all my pre-op work done yesterday for my surgery on 11/6, and met my plastic surgeon for the first time. I was really hoping for a bilateral pedicle flap reconstruction, but I don't have enough tissue for 2 breasts and with a bad back he wouldn't consider risking making it worse. Implants, it is! Oh well. Hopefully, I'll be cancer free and that's what's important. I told him the breast cancer has robbed me of my peace of mind for now, but it's not going to rob me of my self-esteem too! The beast can't have everything! I'm sure I sound vain, but I just want to feel as normal as I can. I'm learning that you need to be very flexible when you walk down this breast cancer road! Being a little deranged doesn't hurt either. LOL

Good thoughts to everyone tonight!

Susan

Comments

• Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    Glad you are managing to roll with the punches that the beast tosses out. Keeping your sense of humor is oh so important.... By the way you aren't vain... there is not a single one of us who doesn't understand how this beast plays with your self esteem.. but we refuse to let the beast win....

Take Care... God Bless....

Another Susan
  • mssue
    mssue Member Posts: 242
    Hi Susan,

So you are the deranged one - JK - keep those spirits up honey,you've got alot to go through.We are here every step of the way,it's so kewl to have a place to go,where everyone has either been there,going there or are there now.My thoughts and prayers are with you.

((Hugs))
    Sue
  • kathydaly
    kathydaly Member Posts: 81
    Well, I think you're doing wonderfully. You had a plan and it didn't work and so now you have another plan, with a good attitude to match. We are all rightfully upset, and a lot of us newly deprived of a breast(or 2), which is in no way close to being vain.

I was fearful of doing the tram-flap in '94 due to my back, so first I went to an orthopedic surgeon at my local medical group that I had, and he reassured me resoundingly that it would in no way affect my bad back, and/or what about your keister(buttocks), lol. I am sure you haven't ignored that possibility.

I believe your self-esteem can only get better going through this process, surpriseingly.

You find out things you never knew about you.

You get so much support, if ask for help.

Your family of origin helps, or gets healed for you, if you can stay open.

You become more spiritual usually.

You find kindness in THE most unexpected places.

You grow, in the important ways.

So, you are so right that it will not rob you of your self-esteem.

If you can keep flexibility and humor holding either hand, you will be in the best possible shape. Hope needs to be in your heart at all times, defining your belief that this to shall pass.

Love and prayers, Kathy
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Susan,
    What a fantastic attitude you have!!! No vanity that I read in your post...just wanting to be, as you said, as normal as I can. Peace of mind will return, if you work at it....and implants are NOT the end of the road....my girlfriend has them, after surgery...and she looks GREAT!

Hugs, Kathi
  • susabella
    susabella Member Posts: 46
    KathiM said:

Susan,
    What a fantastic attitude you have!!! No vanity that I read in your post...just wanting to be, as you said, as normal as I can. Peace of mind will return, if you work at it....and implants are NOT the end of the road....my girlfriend has them, after surgery...and she looks GREAT!

Hugs, Kathi

You are a peach! Thanks so much for the support! I hope you're doing well?
    Hugs!
    Susan