Nausea and Vomiting

Options
karenack
karenack Member Posts: 90
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
On the day of my A/C treatment I felt okay. Then the next two days were really hard. They had given me three different drugs through my IV, (Ativan, Decadron and Aloxi) and then they sent me home with Phenergan and Zofran. I couldn't seem to get my nausea and vomiting under control during those two days. I am going to ask if they can give me something stronger or different to get it under control but am not sure what might be more effective. I also didn't have any appetite the first three days. Any ideas?

Comments

• pansylover
    pansylover Member Posts: 80
    Options
    I was given EMEND for Nausea/vomiting. I never did either....I was not given the drugs that you are getting and do not know the reactions, if any.
    Thinking of you as you go thru the process of defeating the beast. Think good thoughts,little army men going thru your veins to CONQUER the uglies.
    Prayers,HOPE and lots of (((HUGS)))
    Cindie
  • karenack
    Options

I was given EMEND for Nausea/vomiting. I never did either....I was not given the drugs that you are getting and do not know the reactions, if any.
    Thinking of you as you go thru the process of defeating the beast. Think good thoughts,little army men going thru your veins to CONQUER the uglies.
    Prayers,HOPE and lots of (((HUGS)))
    Cindie

Thanks, I will ask about it next week. I am going to my hairdresser today to get my head shaved and my wigs styled. I am so upset about this. I know it is vain, but I think when my hair is gone, the realization of my cancer will become real and tangible. Please keep me in your thoughts. I hate cancer!!!
  • epgnyc
    epgnyc Member Posts: 137
    Options
    I had trouble with nausea and vomiting as well. Besides what they gave me via IV in the hospital, when I got home I took Zofran, Decadron and Ativan. They kept adding to the initial Zofran when that alone didn't work, but the final cocktail did the trick. Good luck.
  • JUSTAWORD
    JUSTAWORD Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Well i will be starting my chemo within the next 2 weeks so i may be speaking out of turn but one thing my oncologist said that may work is ginger. also ginger ale. i asked cuz i want to not have to take too many drugs. if you do try this please keep me posted. it may just be wishful thinking, but if it works that would be great.
  • Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    Options
    karenack said:

Thanks, I will ask about it next week. I am going to my hairdresser today to get my head shaved and my wigs styled. I am so upset about this. I know it is vain, but I think when my hair is gone, the realization of my cancer will become real and tangible. Please keep me in your thoughts. I hate cancer!!!

Karen
    I found that on my bad days, I would take the two pills they gave me before I would move. I kept a glass of water by the bed, I would move ever so slowly to get the water and pills. I would stay in bed and not move for about another hour. It seemed to help me not start getting sick.

Also, you are not vain about your hair. It was by far the hardest thing for me. It felt like I was loosing my identity... By the way it does come back. I now have a full head of hair... So the beast can be beating and you will get back to life as normal... just with a much different perspective on life for having had to had a brush with the beast.

Take Care... God Bless...

Susan
  • inkblot
    inkblot Member Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Hi Karen,

Sorry that you're having a difficult time getting the nausea under control.

I took Anzamet to control nausea/vomiting. I took one pill prior to treatment and one pill each day for the next three days. No vomiting. Not everything works the same for everyone, so you and your doc may well need a bit of trial and error to find what's going to work best for you.

Next treatment, don't just suffer through...if you have the same response again, ring your doc immediately so he/she will know that whatever you're taking isn't working and can try something else straight away.

Hang in there and hoping the next treatment will be easier for you. ((((K))))

Love, light and laughter,
    Ink
  • karenack
    Options
    inkblot said:

Hi Karen,

Sorry that you're having a difficult time getting the nausea under control.

I took Anzamet to control nausea/vomiting. I took one pill prior to treatment and one pill each day for the next three days. No vomiting. Not everything works the same for everyone, so you and your doc may well need a bit of trial and error to find what's going to work best for you.

Next treatment, don't just suffer through...if you have the same response again, ring your doc immediately so he/she will know that whatever you're taking isn't working and can try something else straight away.

Hang in there and hoping the next treatment will be easier for you. ((((K))))

Love, light and laughter,
    Ink

Thanks to everyone for your help. I am already dreading next Thursday's treatment. Hopefully we can find a drug or drug(s) that will help.
  • kathydaly
    kathydaly Member Posts: 81
    Options
    Dear, dear Karen, I am so sorry that your 1st go round was so bad. I was given the decadron and ativan before the chemo and then the drug that begins with a Z to take at home, but it was called something else then and so they've renamed it or it was another drug that began with a Z ( 15 yrs ago ). Those did work for me. But, I think inkblot is right on the money. Tell them even now, so they can have exactly what you need before you even get there, also it will relieve you now to know there is something that will be more effective by talking to your oncologist. The next two days were bad for me too, but bearable due to the right cocktail.

The lack of appetite became worse for me,I went from 143 to 124.

It was suggested I drink Ensure and I was bad and didn't. I just couldn't. I understand it's better now and people make it into a smoothie with ice and fruit and a blender. I did good with yogurt also.

I am thinking of you Karen as you go through this and will be praying for you. OK.

What is the date of your next chemo, you said Thursday, but was that yesterday, or next Thursday?

God bless you and keep you safe in His arms.

Much love, Kathy
  • karenack
    Options
    kathydaly said:

Dear, dear Karen, I am so sorry that your 1st go round was so bad. I was given the decadron and ativan before the chemo and then the drug that begins with a Z to take at home, but it was called something else then and so they've renamed it or it was another drug that began with a Z ( 15 yrs ago ). Those did work for me. But, I think inkblot is right on the money. Tell them even now, so they can have exactly what you need before you even get there, also it will relieve you now to know there is something that will be more effective by talking to your oncologist. The next two days were bad for me too, but bearable due to the right cocktail.

The lack of appetite became worse for me,I went from 143 to 124.

It was suggested I drink Ensure and I was bad and didn't. I just couldn't. I understand it's better now and people make it into a smoothie with ice and fruit and a blender. I did good with yogurt also.

I am thinking of you Karen as you go through this and will be praying for you. OK.

What is the date of your next chemo, you said Thursday, but was that yesterday, or next Thursday?

God bless you and keep you safe in His arms.

Much love, Kathy

my next treatment is Thursday, November 2nd. I am already dreading it! I am going in prepared to get the meds that will prevent me from getting so ill this time! I am feeling pretty good now...just in time for #2! I had my head shaved and my husband actually likes it!! Hugs to all of you!!!!