tamoxifen?????

vac
vac Member Posts: 97
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
i have been on this drug for almost 4 years, after the fifth year my doctor wants to put me on another drug. is this a common pratice or my doctor is just paranoid. i had 13+ lymph nodes. i have been cancer free for 4 years. thanks for the help.

Comments

• cruf
    cruf Member Posts: 908
    Hi! This is the new feeling in post menapausal woman. Tamoxifen for 5 years then an aromatose inhibitor such as Femara, Arimadix and aromasin. I was on Tamoxifen for the full 5 years. I was put on Femara and after 8 mos, switched to aromasin due to alot of joint pain, high cholesterol and very dry eyes caused by the complete block of estrogen production. I've been on the aromasin now for 3 mos and must say, I'm not feeling any better than with Femara. I had noninvasive BC with no + nodes and I was put on this. HThe MD said I could quit if I want as he doesn't know if it is doing me any good BUT... I'm afraid to. There's a feeling of comfort knowing I'm trying to prevent the reoccurance.Hope this helps you some. Good luck! Let us know how you make out. HUGS!! Cathy
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    First of all, NAKED HAPPY DANCE for the NED!!!!! YEA YEA YEA YEA YEA!!!!!!
    I MUST tell you a BIG Thank you!!!!!! I forgot to take my tamoxifen last night before bed...you reminded me!
    I had sentinel node positive, stage IIb, invasive breast cancer. I had a total hyster with my bowel resection...I WAS eligible then for Arimidex...BUT the chemo had made me osteoporotic. My onc and I decided on the Tamoxifen for the first year, with Actonel, to build up my bone density, and then switch to Arimidex (or whatever they come up with in the mean time).
    Breast cancer ER and PR positive reoccurance reduction research is changing fast...sometimes even daily! I don't think your onc is sensing anything other that going with the flow. The whole point is to keep us from having to fight the beast again!

Hugs, Kathi
  • katcam
    katcam Member Posts: 83
    i have only been on tamoxifen for 1 1/2 years and my onco told me at my last appt that in another year he may switch me to another drug - he will review w/me at that time, so it is not uncommon i guess. he said he wanted to be sure i was past menopause, which the tamoxifen kicked me into!! hugs, kat.
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Your doctor is definately not paranoid. He's just up with the research. The tamoxifen gave you 50% better chance of survival and the aromatase inhibitor, whichever kind you choose, gives you 50% better chance of disease-free survival over that. That doesn't mean 100% chance you don't relapse. I had a 90% chance of making it to five years with my stage 1 node negative breast cancer. With tamoxifen I had a 95% chance. With exemestane (aramosin) it's now 97 1/2%. I was able to switch over at 2 1/2 years thanks to a total hysterectomy after an ovarian cancer scare (turned out to be nothing wrong, but it did let me start the better medicine sooner and the insurance paid for it all!).The aromatase inhibitors are significantly better than tamoxifen in several ways but they also have different drawbacks. They can't be used by women until menapause has set in because they can't overcome the estrogen produced by the ovaries. When the ovaries shut down, the aromatase inhibitors can reduce the estrogen produced by you andrenal glands on your kidneys and produced by the fat in your body. Aromatase inhibitors do not cause uterine cancer like tamoxifen. Aromatase inhibitors are significantly more effective in effecting a longer disease-free survival in women with estrogen positive breast cancer. But the inhibitors are going to reduce the amount of bone density women have too. If you are on them, you need to take calcium pills, drink your 4 glasses of milk each day, exercise a minimum of 30 minutes a day, and get your bone density test regularly. The side effects aren't much different than tamoxifen, but I haven't noticed as much depression-like stuff since I switched. I do have lots of warm spells, but with the surgery and all, I just expect that!! Good luck!