Chemo sickness

Options
LLLady
LLLady Member Posts: 67
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
HoW long can Due Plan on being sick from his chemo treatment?
He got the 3 day pump removed yesterday? we have tried Compazine, Tranderm scop they have not worked for him today were trying Zofran at $180.00 for just 9 pills after insurance I hope this is gonna work. I just want him to feel better .
He's saying if he can't find a medication thats works for his nausea then he doesn't want to do this any more.
Thanks everyone HUGS!

Comments

• AuthorUnknown
    AuthorUnknown Member Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Lady,

I am very sorry that Deuy is not feeling well.
    I remember when my mother started her chemo pills, the oncologist told us that in case of severe nausea or diarrhea we need to call him right away. I think you should call the oncologist who is on call today. You should not wait.

Please also rememeber that chemo is not for everyone. One can take it, another one can not at all. One needs to be very careful with it. Please call the clinic today, there should be somebody there to talk to, and if not, go to emergency.

Hugs to you and Duey.

Eleonora
  • LLLady
    LLLady Member Posts: 67
    Options

Lady,

I am very sorry that Deuy is not feeling well.
    I remember when my mother started her chemo pills, the oncologist told us that in case of severe nausea or diarrhea we need to call him right away. I think you should call the oncologist who is on call today. You should not wait.

Please also rememeber that chemo is not for everyone. One can take it, another one can not at all. One needs to be very careful with it. Please call the clinic today, there should be somebody there to talk to, and if not, go to emergency.

Hugs to you and Duey.

Eleonora

Hi Eleonora thanks for responding
    i did call the oncologist he's the one who gave us a new medication
    Duey say's he would be fine if he can get rid of the nausea.
  • debralla
    debralla Member Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    LLLady said:

Hi Eleonora thanks for responding
    i did call the oncologist he's the one who gave us a new medication
    Duey say's he would be fine if he can get rid of the nausea.

Hello Lady.
    I was pretty sick my first few treatments . Compazine did not work for me , My third treatment they changed my pre- meds and take home meds to Zofran . Still had some slight nausea , But was not as bad . I am going on treatment #20 I feel good on day one and two then pretty wiped out for the next three days .Then by day 4 I start to bouce back and feel pretty good till the next treatment . Hope this helps . Tell Duey to hang in there , He should start to feel better soon .
    Take Care and God Bless .
    Debra
  • jams67
    jams67 Member Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I too felt worse the first treatment. After that, the nausea wasn't quite as bad, but I did take Zofran sometimes. I seemed to feel worse when the pump was removed, because my system had so much of the medication in it. Hope there is an impovement soon. jams
  • CAMaura
    CAMaura Member Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Hi There. HOUND your doc for good nausea meds -- and samples. EMEND, from Merck, ws the only med which would work for me, and it was awesome. Please advocate for Duey and really bug the docs for help. They can find samples for you. EMEND was $150.00 for a four-pill pack and I was always given samples...And I think Merck even offers to assist patients with the cost. All thebest to you and I do hope Duey is offered this med...Take care - Maura
  • tennislover
    tennislover Member Posts: 64
    Options
    Hey there, I get sick very easily. The chemo for me has made me throw up all three days that I am on it. I take Zofran and compazine and something else that i cant remember right now. I still would get sick once or twice a day. I am going to bring up something that I havent seen anyone write about and I hope that I dont offend anyone but my last treatment I tried the medicinal marijuana route and I do have to say that I didn not throw up once. I still took the same meds but I did the "other thing" 1st thing in the morning and that was all I needed. I live in Cali so it isnt that big of a deal here, they have medical marijuana clubs here. I am not a pot head and never smoked or used it before but tried it since I felt like I had nothing to lose, if it helps, great. I dont know how you feel about that but it is an option. Again, I hope that i dont offend anyone by this.
  • foxy
    foxy Member Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hi, I watch here every day, but seldom post. Just thought I would add my story. Stage 4 Dec 1993, chemo weekly for one year, and I am still here to talk to you. Chemo saved my life!!!!!
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Emend was the only thing that would touch the sickness for me. That, and ginger ale....and candied ginger.....
    The day AFTER the pump is removed is the worst, and the day after that is marginally better. Tell him to hang in there....It WILL get better. I, too, am here writing because the pre-surgical chemo/radiation saved my life.

Hugs, Kathi
  • TheBean
    TheBean Member Posts: 9
    Options
    I also felt worst right after pump disconnected. Zofran worked well for me and my angel of a doctor was able to give me enough free samples to get through. After a few treatments I seemed to tolerate it better. Another drug that I have found useful is Ativan. While not technically an anti-nausea drug, it does have that component to it. It also helps quell some of my anxiety and slows down my digestive tract. Sometimes I get nauseated just from being upset. Hang in there - there is help out there. Ask for samples!!!
  • nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    Options
    My Ono Doc prescribed Promethazine 25mg(substitution for Phenergan)for nausea. I don't know if it works because I have not had to take any. I would make sure that your Ono Doc is alwasy kept up to date. I call mine everytime I feel something new or receive a new side effect. I am surprised he has not given me his personal number (ha, ha).
  • Triggin
    Triggin Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hey there, I get sick very easily. The chemo for me has made me throw up all three days that I am on it. I take Zofran and compazine and something else that i cant remember right now. I still would get sick once or twice a day. I am going to bring up something that I havent seen anyone write about and I hope that I dont offend anyone but my last treatment I tried the medicinal marijuana route and I do have to say that I didn not throw up once. I still took the same meds but I did the "other thing" 1st thing in the morning and that was all I needed. I live in Cali so it isnt that big of a deal here, they have medical marijuana clubs here. I am not a pot head and never smoked or used it before but tried it since I felt like I had nothing to lose, if it helps, great. I dont know how you feel about that but it is an option. Again, I hope that i dont offend anyone by this.

I used medical marijuana
    I used medical marijuana everyday throughout my year long treatment for my Rhabdomyosarcoma when i was 19 yrs old. Now i am 32 and free of cancer and still occasionaly use, but this is what got me through my year long treatment. It gave me an appetite and when you eat, your body gets the nutrients it needs to keep your blood counts up! it took any pain away and made me feel normal, which was a huge relief! I would highly recommend it! don't be scared, it is not Bad for you. cheers

scott
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    nudgie said:

My Ono Doc prescribed Promethazine 25mg(substitution for Phenergan)for nausea. I don't know if it works because I have not had to take any. I would make sure that your Ono Doc is alwasy kept up to date. I call mine everytime I feel something new or receive a new side effect. I am surprised he has not given me his personal number (ha, ha).

emend ......
    was the only thing that worked partly for me....My last 2 treatments were off the oxaliplatin so there was no nausea at all....the oxal was making me very nauseous. I have 1 more treatment and hopefully done......Try the Emend if you can get it. It was the only thing that helped me any at all.......
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    Chemo and nausea
    What I found best is marijuana. It's not always available mainstream due to ignorance (watch the movie Reefer Madness) and the pharmaceutical companies, but it works and increases appetite too.
    Sorry you are having so much trouble with this
    -p
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Options
    PhillieG said:

Chemo and nausea
    What I found best is marijuana. It's not always available mainstream due to ignorance (watch the movie Reefer Madness) and the pharmaceutical companies, but it works and increases appetite too.
    Sorry you are having so much trouble with this
    -p

Old posts
    Hehehe Phil and Buzz... this is an old topic where the posts are from 2006, other than the recent post from Triggin who came in and left his couple of posts in various topics about marijuana for nausea. But the folk in this topic who were actually posting their questions were from back in 2006 ;) Trig just resurrected the topic so he could say his bit and leave again... no other posts from him about anything else in other topics ;)

Huggggs,

Cheryl
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options

Old posts
    Hehehe Phil and Buzz... this is an old topic where the posts are from 2006, other than the recent post from Triggin who came in and left his couple of posts in various topics about marijuana for nausea. But the folk in this topic who were actually posting their questions were from back in 2006 ;) Trig just resurrected the topic so he could say his bit and leave again... no other posts from him about anything else in other topics ;)

Huggggs,

Cheryl

What's old is new again
    Maybe I'm the one who's Buzzed
    :-)
  • glinka65
    glinka65 Member Posts: 132
    Options
    PhillieG said:

What's old is new again
    Maybe I'm the one who's Buzzed
    :-)