Irontecan/Erbitus vs. "#3CO62". Help!!

Options
musiclover
musiclover Member Posts: 242
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My friend Mark is faced with yet another tough decision - start the more traditional Irontecan/Erbitux treatment or go on another experimental trial. The doctor is pushing the trial. Mark has stage IV rectal cancer with tumors in his liver and lungs. The last regimen was working at first but took a turn for the worst. He was on Avastin/Oxyplatin/Xeloda. I really need some feedback from those out there that have been in his shoes or know someone that is/was. The new trial drug is so new it has no name. New and different doesn't necessarily mean better and I don't really want Mark experimenting with something that has zero track record. HE would be the track record that that point. Thanks so much for being there for us.

Kathryn

Comments

• HowardJ
    HowardJ Member Posts: 474
    Options
    Kathryn,

Many oncology clinical trials use standard of care plus the trial drug on top of that, versus standard of care alone (although depending on the phase of the study this may not always be the case). I tried searching clinicaltrials.gov and PubMed on 3CO62, and also 3C062 and did not find anything. If you know the sponsor of the study you'll be able to search clinicaltrials.gov and learn more about the study to help with your decision making.

Good luck!

Howard
  • lfondots63
    lfondots63 Member Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Hi Kathryn,

I've never been on trials but have a suggestion if it is possible for you. It sounds like others have sent out some tissue to labs to have it "zapped" with the type of chemo they would be taking to see if the tissue was resistant or not to the chemo. I hope I explained that ok. Could you ask your doctor about doing this? This is such a personal decision for Mark since he doesn't know if the traditional treatment will work. Also maybe find out if you can start the traditional treatment and if it doesn't work go to the trial. I personally would be leary about being a guinea pig when I have not tried all other paths. HUGS for such a tough decision. Tell us if you find anything about the new drug in case others come on and ask at a later date.

Lisa F
  • jennhws
    jennhws Member Posts: 8
    Options
    i have stage4 started chemo in april xeloda,oxy,and avastin didn't work started xeloda,irrenotecan,and erbitux worked for a while and stopped now xeloda,irrenotecan,erbitux,and avastin not sure yet if it's working feels like it is and the rash is back which seems to be a good indicator i am also lymp, liver, and lungs.hope this helps if you would like to know more i'm more than willing to share.GOD bless!. jennifer
  • AuthorUnknown
    AuthorUnknown Member Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Hi Kathryn,

I would have Mark do the traditional method and not experimenting any more. I would have him do what is known to work. I would have him experiment only if nothing else worked.

Are you also looking into alternative methods?

Please check out the book "Outsmart your cancer: alternative non-toxid treatments that work" by Tanya Harter Pierce.

Hope it helps. Please do let us know how Mark is doing.

Best wishes, Eleonora
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator