Breast prosthesis and airport security

Options
berta422
berta422 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone with a breast prosthesis been through airport security for travel within the US since the recent restrictions on liquids, creams, and gels were added? Was anything said or done about your prosthesis at the checkpoint?

Comments

• inkblot
    inkblot Member Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Interesting question. I can't IMAGINE! How would they even be aware of such a thing anyway? If you were behaving in what they considered to be a "suspicious" manner and/or perhaps already under suspicion or on a "no fly" list, maybe they'd check you out but otherwise, what would be their clue? However if they did pull you aside, I'd imagine that a female security person would have to investigate further. But how much further is the question and personally, I think that would certainly be a major insult to ones dignity and sense of humanity. Yet, I can concieve of how a really determined terrorist, wishing to target public transportation or any other locale for that matter, would not be above using a breast (or any other) prosthesis (even a bodily implant?) in order to carry out the harming of others. So, I'm sure the security forces are aware of such a possibility and are trained to deal with it. We can sigh and say this is the world we live in, but it's quite dreadful in reality. Our way of life, prior to 9/11 is a dinosaur, never to be resurrected. The younger generations will adapt quite easily I expect but those of us who are older, who so cherished and honored our everyday freedoms, those inalienable civil liberties, feel the sting of losing more of those freedoms every day.

Something I'd do, in order to try to avoid any problems ahead of time, is contact airport security, well in advance of your flight and speak to a supervisor and explain the situation. Try to find out what you need to do, if anything at all and do whatever they suggest and you should be fine. My only other idea, would be
    to carry with you, (and I'd carry it everywhere I went these days) a statement from your surgeon, describing the type of prosthesis and the reason for it. Signed and notarized (at a minumum) with the contact phone number for the Dr.. Surely one wouldn't need to register with the FBI and have letters or something from them in order to be able to fly, unmolested and unharrassed?!!! Wicked business all around anymore just to go about our daily lives and it's a shame that it's necessary.

Good luck and hope you can find solid answers to your questions by contacting the proper authorities. I'm thinking that your doctor should be able to help you get started.

Love, light and laughter,
    Ink