Breast Surgery

Jean4567
Jean4567 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am having a bi-lateral masectomy w/ sentinel lymph node dissection on Oct 2. They tell me this is a one day surgery -no overnight. Is this true for all? I can't imagine going home that night. Please share you experience. Thanks

Comments

• jdubious
    jdubious Member Posts: 113
    Wow - that's amazing! I had single mastectomy with sentinel biopsy and stayed 2 nights in 2004. I was really sick from the anesthesia and couldn't even get out of bed to use the bathroom for about 24 hours. They also want to watch for blood clots and have those vibrating things on your legs for a day. I'm really surprised that you aren't staying at least overnight. I would be uncomfortable with this situation, but that's just my opinion.
    jill
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Wow, I had a LUMPectomy with sentinel node and axcillary node removal...there over night...drain...
    Also, I was VERY nauseous...but, next morning....up and eating a waffle, of all things!

I will add you to my prayer list....

Hugs, Kathi
  • ireneingeorgia
    ireneingeorgia Member Posts: 73
    Hi Jean. Sorry to meet you here, but at least we all have understanding in each other. I had rt breast removed February, I stayed one night. I've had 5 other surgeries this year that were same day. They try and move you out, but if I were you, I would tell the dr. you want to stay at least one night. I am having reconstruction this Tuesday on both sides and they say that is same day surgery too, including a skin graft????!!!
    But, I was told if need be, I would be able to stay one night for this if I needed to. All the best to you, HUGSA.
    ireneincordova
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    KathiM said:

Wow, I had a LUMPectomy with sentinel node and axcillary node removal...there over night...drain...
    Also, I was VERY nauseous...but, next morning....up and eating a waffle, of all things!

I will add you to my prayer list....

Hugs, Kathi

OK, so maybe I'm just a whinner, is THAT it???? I'm weak, so I CAN'T go home the same day?????HUH?????
    Sorry, had to laugh....
    Kathi
  • epgnyc
    epgnyc Member Posts: 137
    This is just nuts. I don't know a single woman who had even a single mastectomy (and I know half a dozen) who didn't stay at least one night in the hospital afterwards. I also believe it's now legally mandated that women must be permitted by their health care providers to stay overnight if having a mastectomy. You should definitely check this out and talk it over with your doctor. Good luck.
  • siu1988ldh
    siu1988ldh Member Posts: 3
    Jean,
    In June I had a bi-lateral (with expanders inserted) along with 15 nodes right side and two on the left removed. First thing I would do is call your insurance carrier and ask what their stance is on time spent in the hospital. I did this and they told me don't worry as long as your Dr. approves it you are covered. I had plans on going home on the second day but I had such a painful night prior to going home I told the nurse I need one more day and it was approved by my Dr. They will try to get you out of bed to move around as soon as possible and actually this really does help. Do not rush it but really after 3 days in the hospital I was ready to get home. Hope this helps!
  • Future
    Future Member Posts: 133 Member
    Jean,
    If they (insurance or doctor) say no to overnight hospital stay ask about 23 hour observational stay. Many hospitals have an observational unit and because you aren't there 24 hours it isn't considered an overnight stay. For me, the unit was in the day surgery recovery. It's a thought
  • billswife
    billswife Member Posts: 33
    I had a sentinel lymph node dissection yesterday and a port put in and was home last night but had a real hard time coming out of the anesthesia.Just didn't want to be up
    My mastectomy is scheduled for the 27th and they already told me I'll be staying overnight, maybe 2 depending on the reconstruction. I'm glad they'll only want to be sure I wake up from the anesthesia, them will take me upstairs to sleep -- not get dressed, go home & sleep.

Kathy
  • billswife
    billswife Member Posts: 33
    Kicked in the teeth again & venting
    I'm beginning to hate labs, computers and vacations. After almost 3 weeks, we finally got a fianl result on my husbands latest PET-CT scan and even after chemo and a surgery,there is yet another tumor in his lung! We were so hoping that the "Puffy" stuff they saw was just a scar or something from the surgery. Anyway, his oncologist says it now looks like Chemo for 2 for us when we get to SC. I'm still waiting for the results of my lumph node biopsy last week. My husband said he made the surgeon promise someone would call with the result by the end of the week.( He was bring sent to some conference all week) Well the week's over and I called today but anyone with the authority to talk to me wasn't there.
    I'm at an NCI Comprehensive Hospital and I'm getting no kind of support. I talked to my husband's oncologist today and I got more help from him about putting together a team near our new home that I'm getting from my own Doctors.
    The movers come Wednesday-- they day of the surgery. Sombody just tell me I can pull this all off.

Kathy
  • Sarah06
    Sarah06 Member Posts: 30
    Wow, you may want to call your insurance company. You may be too sick from anesthesia or too weak to leave the next day. Some hospitals even wait a day before giving you solids and they want to make sure you go to the bathroom too before you leave.
    Sarah06