My first day here!

Kelly3761
Kelly3761 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello all, i'm 45, married and have 2 sons, 15 and 8. I found a lump in my breast the last week in July, I have no idea of the date, it's still a blur. On August 14th I had a lumpectomy, my tumor was 2.7 centimeters. i start chemo this coming Wednesday. My doctor warned me that I will lose my hair quickly. So today I went and bought a very nice wig, my fear was i'd get up one morning to drive the kids to school and be half bald and would have to drive them with a towel on my head. See, i'm keeping my humor, no one can take that from me. I have much support from family and friends, but reading your stories let's me know that you are the people that truly understand what I am going through. I would so enjoy talking to anyone who is interested, advice, humor, tears, all the emotions I know we all feel. I wish us all the best!

Comments

• toninasky
    toninasky Member Posts: 102
    Hi Kelly,

I like you am pretty new to this website, but I must tell you that you will make many friends. I did not find my lump, it found me in a mammogram, and is 2.1 c. I had a lumpectomy in July, and started chemotherapy 3 weeks ago. I am having adriamycin for 4 treatments one every 3 weeks, then they will do taxol, 1 every week for 12 weeks, and then 5 weeks of radiation. I had lymph node involvement. 1 out of 11 was positive, but the PET Scan was negative for any other cancer in my body. so if there is a minute spread the chemo should take care of it. I know that it is a shock, but it is not a death sentence. You will survive. You need to keep a positive attitude, and believe in the Lord's help. I had no side effects to my 1st chemo treatment, in fact it was a breeze. I did have a problem with the Neulasta they gave me 24 hours later to keep up the white blood cells. I had a very bad reaction to it, and will not take it again. I too went out and bought a wig before losing the hair. I also had my head shaved because I did not want to watch it fall out. I am married, 64 years old, working every day as an Answering service operator. I had 3 children. We adopted twins a boy and girl who ar now 37, and we had a son Timothy who would be 36 this year, but sadly he passed away in 2000 from cancer of the esophageus caused by acid reflux. He was 4 days over his 30th birthday when he went home to the Lord. I miss him very much.

If you would like to use the email on this site, I would love to keep in touch and be a support for you, and perhaps you for me. you will find me under toninasky in the directory.

Keep the faith, and remember 1 day at a time. You are right, only we know what it feels like to be told you have the MONSTER C . Be strong and of good faith, the Lord does not give us more than we can handle.

toninasky
  • cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    I am new to the site but it is a joy to explore. The chat froom is filled with people who have been through what you are going through, so they have lots of great advice and plenty of humor to share. I was diagnosed with bc in 2002 and will come up on my 5 yr. anniversary in Oct. I had stage 1 bc but in two spots, so I had the BIG operation but no chemo and no radiation. The emotional effects of being diagnosed are fading quite a bit now, but I was totally panicked the first few weeks. It helped me to read and read and read some more. Now I enjoy the chat room here. Several are bc survivors and many are really long term survivors. It helps me to know some long term survivors in my locality too. The local chapter of the National Breast Coalition was a great support with lots of literature and people to talk to. The Relay for Life in town has been a blast. And the Wellness Community has a support group for breast cancer patients too. The internet can be a great resource at all levels. Write me using the email at this site (under cabbott) if you have any questions. I love to look up stuff. My son is 15 now but only 10 when I first started on this rollercoaster. Good luck!
  • nasa2537
    nasa2537 Member Posts: 311
    Hi Kelly...I remember the "blur" very well. Funny, though, I can't remember dates like when I quit smoking, or when I moved to FL, but I remember the diagnosis date, the lumpectomy date, the date radiation started, and the date I started the tamoxifen. I didn't have chemo, but have many friends who did. Most lost their hair about the 14th day after the first treatment. Keeping your humor is the biggest start to a great recovery. Also, being prepared is another way to beat it. You now have a wig that you didn't have to buy while in a total panic. And, remember, it will grow back.Did anyone suggest to you to get Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book? It was a wealth of info for me. It is very long and involved. But, what my onc told me was to get a copy of the biopsy report (remember...it's your health and you are entitled to copies of every test they do to you), and go home and read about MY report....read ONLY the things that pertain to me. As for the chemo you are about to start, read ONLY about the drugs they will use on you, etc. It is too confusing to read about things that don't pertain to you. Dr. Susan is one of our leading breast cancer researchers, and the book was very helpful. I would also recommend a support group. Check with the cancer society and your oncologist's office for groups in your area. I went to one that was mostly older women (I am 48 now), but it was very therapeutic to see women in their 70's and older who had beat it up to 15 or 20 years ago, when they didn't know near what they do now. I needed that reassurance at that particular time. Most areas will have groups of various ages. We have one called "Young at Heart" which is all women 50 and younger. Even if you don't feel you need the help right now, you can be a big help to other women just starting their journey, and that in itself is very therapeutic. I wish you well. I think you will handle things just fine, even though there are so many ups and downs....keep the positive attitude and the humor....it helps you recover much quicker! Take care....Cyndi
  • Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    Kelly,
    Many of us here have walked the road that you are going down. I was diagnoised in May of 05. I did a lumpectomy, chemo A/C 4 treatments, 2 weeks apart,and then Taxol & Herceptin for 12 treatments, each week and then Herceptin for about another 18 treatments. Did 33 radiation treatments and I have been clean for about 6 months and I intend to live a long and healthy life with NED (no evidence of disease). The beast is a tough beast but one that most of us are capable of beating... So if I were you I would look at life this year... like you will have to slow down so you can be ready to face the rest of your healthy life... and look forward to the days ahead when you will be blessed with Grandchildren.... Let me know when you have questions.. I will be glad to answer them for you. There will be times when you will be totally exhausted... but try to remember that this too will pass... look for the little things that bring you joy.... and before long you will be back in the swing of life.

Take Care... God Bless.

Susan..

P.S. to email anyone all you have to do is click the little envelope below their message and it will get their email address for you.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Hats, scarves, and 'going naked' were my style...I wore a wig for 1/2 hour, was at a client, (computer consultant) and burst into tears, ripped it off....3 men said "You are very good looking bald"....that was that. Be careful, tho...I got SUCH a SUNBURN one time...no sunscreen, so calif summer, you get the idea....

I wore my battle regalia proudly...I fought the beast on 2 fronts within 2 years...rectal followed by breast...

WATER WATER WATER WATER WATER!!!

Day before, day of, day after infusion....6 months later, I have NO tingles AT ALL...and my kidneys/liver/bladder (the filters for the chemo) are working GREAT!!!

Hugs for a brave soldier....think of something fun to do AFTER the treatments...I went to a Spa in Palm Springs for 3 days...and focus on that during the treatment...

Hugs, from an 'alum'
    Kathi
  • billswife
    billswife Member Posts: 33
    I begin the journey with you. After being the 3 year caretaker for my husband in his cancer battles we found out just before our long awaited dream move to SC that it was my turn with bc. I was diagnosed on the day of your surgery
    After the initial shock wears off and you find you are not alone it does get a little easier each day. Hubby & I decided we're not going to let this hold us back so the move is on. My mastectomy is the 27th-- the day the movers come--my plastic surgeon for the reconstruction will work visits around a schedule that allows me to come back to NJ to see him and the chemo will be in SC ( not the way I intended to make new friends but hey)
    When I first posted here , I didn't think I had the courage or strength to do all this. These wonderful ladies family and friends showed me I did.Your's will too.
    As my cousins said to me-- " welcome to the club nobody wants to join"
    God bless you

Kathy