Question

Options
blackbandana
blackbandana Member Posts: 64
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi, I'm a stage IIb BC survivor, but recently I've been dealing with a lot of back & hip pain. I have herniated a disk a couple of times in the past that sits on my siactic nerve and causes pain down my leg, but this recent bout of back pain is very different. It's a constant pain from the center of my back out to my hips, I know its probably nothing, but can not stop worrying about it. I had an MRI done last Friday and have a bone scan set for Sept 16. If anyone has had anything similar, please let me know. You are all inspirational to anyone who comes to this site seeking advice and/or comfort. Many thanks.

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Just to be safe, have you had a fecal ocult blood test done? Just to rule out, I had a 2 inch tumor in my rectum....followed by...you guessed it...stage IIB breast cancer....

Don't want to alarm you, but better safe than sorry....colorectal cancer is beatable, if caught!

Hugs from a been there/done that (read my user page if you want more info.....)
    Kathi
  • tonkatuff
    tonkatuff Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hello ~ I've been searching here for someone else who has metastatic disease (breast cancer that has spread to another part of the body). I come across your question and it sounds so similiar to what I've experienced.
    I in no way mean to scare you but not a month after my biopsy for breast cancer (which is considered as S4)I was diagnosed with metastatic disease. The breast cancer had spread to my T8 vertebrae in my back(center of my back, just under my bra buckle). I appologize but this is a very long story. I had to be very persistant with my doctor and even leave the area for a second opinion. At the request of my doctor I agreed to let them perform two needle biopsies on my back in this area, which are not always guaranteed (very painful). They both come back negative. This didn't ease my mind for I knew something was causing this pain, and I'm no whimp.
    Mind you this pain was so horrendous I could not set up, get up, lye down, walk or motivate without severe pain, this pain was constant. I was living on more than 12 pain pills a day and he wanted me to continue to do this until after they had brought my breast cancer to a close.
    No, I don't think so... I went out of the area for a second opinion. He sighed at them and wanted to know what they were looking at. This is definently a tumor that has taken over your T8V. He made the remark they have some of the best technology ever and was some of the best pictures he had ever seen. Evidently didn't know how to read it.
    The thing is now I'm experiencing constant pain down my leg to my foot, along the outside arch to the little toe, and even across the top keeping me from arching my foot or like stand on my tip toe. I had a bone scan which showed nothing and on 9/8 I have a lower MRI. I'm told that the nerves above your belly button run around you, like your ribs; those below your belly button run down your legs. I was told a constant pain is not good, that is a good sign of cancer. Where as if it comes and goes it could possibly be arthritis or a siactic nerve.
    I also have severe foot pain to the point that they are numb, this is constant as well but maybe sometimes milder than others. I don't know if there is any truth in it or not but one doctor told me cancer doesn't spread below the elbow or the knee. I don't know?
    I know how you are feeling with the worrying deal. I have to admit that I've worried myself sick over this, but I must put it on the shelf and get on with my life for my kids sake. I try not to let it interfere with living my life to the fullest. But yes it continues to knock at the door. I wish you all the best, it's important to keep yourself occupied. Continue to fight this beast, be persistant and don't be afraid to get a second opinion.
    I'm going to take KathiM advice and ask my Dr about the fecal ocult blood test.
    GOOD LUCK, Hugs and Kisses!
  • ylgriffin1
    ylgriffin1 Member Posts: 17
    Options
    hi, i am having severe back/hip problems. i too had pre-existing herniated disks in the neck and in the cyatic nerve prior to being diag. in 04 with stage IIbc invasive, non-met. I had a series of mri's and they found arthritis had settled in all herniations. my body scan says it hasn't spread. my onc told me the chemo contributes to joint pain and exaserbates (sp) any pre-existing problems. sometimes i can barely stand it hurts so bad. and the pain going down my leg is constant. i am going to discuss this with my onc 9/7 when i go in for treatment. I will let you know what she says.
    hang in there. yvette
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    tonkatuff said:

Hello ~ I've been searching here for someone else who has metastatic disease (breast cancer that has spread to another part of the body). I come across your question and it sounds so similiar to what I've experienced.
    I in no way mean to scare you but not a month after my biopsy for breast cancer (which is considered as S4)I was diagnosed with metastatic disease. The breast cancer had spread to my T8 vertebrae in my back(center of my back, just under my bra buckle). I appologize but this is a very long story. I had to be very persistant with my doctor and even leave the area for a second opinion. At the request of my doctor I agreed to let them perform two needle biopsies on my back in this area, which are not always guaranteed (very painful). They both come back negative. This didn't ease my mind for I knew something was causing this pain, and I'm no whimp.
    Mind you this pain was so horrendous I could not set up, get up, lye down, walk or motivate without severe pain, this pain was constant. I was living on more than 12 pain pills a day and he wanted me to continue to do this until after they had brought my breast cancer to a close.
    No, I don't think so... I went out of the area for a second opinion. He sighed at them and wanted to know what they were looking at. This is definently a tumor that has taken over your T8V. He made the remark they have some of the best technology ever and was some of the best pictures he had ever seen. Evidently didn't know how to read it.
    The thing is now I'm experiencing constant pain down my leg to my foot, along the outside arch to the little toe, and even across the top keeping me from arching my foot or like stand on my tip toe. I had a bone scan which showed nothing and on 9/8 I have a lower MRI. I'm told that the nerves above your belly button run around you, like your ribs; those below your belly button run down your legs. I was told a constant pain is not good, that is a good sign of cancer. Where as if it comes and goes it could possibly be arthritis or a siactic nerve.
    I also have severe foot pain to the point that they are numb, this is constant as well but maybe sometimes milder than others. I don't know if there is any truth in it or not but one doctor told me cancer doesn't spread below the elbow or the knee. I don't know?
    I know how you are feeling with the worrying deal. I have to admit that I've worried myself sick over this, but I must put it on the shelf and get on with my life for my kids sake. I try not to let it interfere with living my life to the fullest. But yes it continues to knock at the door. I wish you all the best, it's important to keep yourself occupied. Continue to fight this beast, be persistant and don't be afraid to get a second opinion.
    I'm going to take KathiM advice and ask my Dr about the fecal ocult blood test.
    GOOD LUCK, Hugs and Kisses!

Have the tests been done for leukemia? I was at a computer client's today who was sending out mailers for the leukemia/lymphoma support society. Some symptoms on the literature sounds like what you post....there IS a 1% chance of leukemia from chemo....

Hugs, Kathi