What is the recurrence rate for Stage IIIa?

Options
Future
Future Member Posts: 133 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I see lots of information on survival rates but...... what percent of survivors experience a recurrence of cancer? Can't seem to figure that number out. I am a 3 year survivor and struggle with "what is just age and abuse to your body" and what is a symptom that you should contact your doctor. Where is that balance?

Comments

• tlmac
    tlmac Member Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hi Future, I am a stage II grade III node negative estrogen positive 3 1/2 survivor who takes Arimidex to protect against recurrence and Fosamax to repair the loss of density to my bones. Many of us are most comforted by regular testing. I hate tests and have chosen not to have any unless I'm symptomatic. Whether or not you have ever battled cancer, there's no simple way of determining normal aging from cancer or something equally serious. Statistics change daily and are greatly affected by disgnostic improvements and our understanding of the importance of diet and exercise. I've personally known women diagnosed at stage I who recurred at stage IV. Another friend was diagnosed 15 years ago, node positive. She's still working with NED (no evidence of disease). Since being diagnosed, I've lost 2 friends who were perfectly healthy till the moment they stopped breathing. Recurrence rates are affected by a multitude of variables including stage, tumor size, number of positive nodes, tumor grade, estrogen receptor-positivity, DNA content, menopausal status, and age. If it would help you to know, ask your oncologist for specifics on your chances of a recurrence. I keep my sanity by living each day to the fullest. I've also got a great relationship with my medical team who are willing to see me any time I need a reassurance. If you're really interested in numbers, you might want to glance over this report from the Cancer Control Journal entitled Age and the Risk of Breast Cancer Recurrence:
    http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:OXFsOtqWpG8J:www.moffitt.usf.edu/pubs/ccj/v3n5/article4.html+breast+cancer+recurrence+statistics&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=2
    I wish for you what I wish for all of us, peace of mind and continued good health.
    terri
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    tlmac said:

Hi Future, I am a stage II grade III node negative estrogen positive 3 1/2 survivor who takes Arimidex to protect against recurrence and Fosamax to repair the loss of density to my bones. Many of us are most comforted by regular testing. I hate tests and have chosen not to have any unless I'm symptomatic. Whether or not you have ever battled cancer, there's no simple way of determining normal aging from cancer or something equally serious. Statistics change daily and are greatly affected by disgnostic improvements and our understanding of the importance of diet and exercise. I've personally known women diagnosed at stage I who recurred at stage IV. Another friend was diagnosed 15 years ago, node positive. She's still working with NED (no evidence of disease). Since being diagnosed, I've lost 2 friends who were perfectly healthy till the moment they stopped breathing. Recurrence rates are affected by a multitude of variables including stage, tumor size, number of positive nodes, tumor grade, estrogen receptor-positivity, DNA content, menopausal status, and age. If it would help you to know, ask your oncologist for specifics on your chances of a recurrence. I keep my sanity by living each day to the fullest. I've also got a great relationship with my medical team who are willing to see me any time I need a reassurance. If you're really interested in numbers, you might want to glance over this report from the Cancer Control Journal entitled Age and the Risk of Breast Cancer Recurrence:
    http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:OXFsOtqWpG8J:www.moffitt.usf.edu/pubs/ccj/v3n5/article4.html+breast+cancer+recurrence+statistics&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=2
    I wish for you what I wish for all of us, peace of mind and continued good health.
    terri

terri,

So, in a nutshell, "Live each day as if it is your last", right?

No offense intended...I truly believe that...not going out on a wild hair, just making sure that things are said that need to be, people are hugged that need to be...

Having beat every stat for my rectal cancer (stage III), I KNOW cancer can strike again...it did, 3 months later...totally unrelated breast cancer (stage IIB). I guess the powers that be didn't think I learned the lesson the first time...had to do a little reinforcement...hehehehehehe

Talk about perspective: When I was given the bc diag, I said "OK, so what do we do with THIS one?". No tears. For a person who has this as their first cancer, it is devistating. But there is a 95% survival rate for bc, and reoccurance rates, as you shared, can be minimized by proper treatment and lifestyle changes.

I am VERY sensitive to body changes, and have a dear, understanding primary care who will take me seriously, with a grain of salt. Currently, I am having symptoms that can't rule out brain metastisis (from the rectal or breast, who knows..both could do it). So, he put in for an MRI. He saved my life with my rectal cancer. I trust him when he says I am overreacting, and when I am not.

Hugs, Kathi
  • Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    Options
    I think Kathy has more prespective than most of us. But I agree to try to live your life a day at a time making sure that you enjoy life and trying not to let the everyday irratations to take away any of your joy. I intend to be here for a long time. But if I have to fight the beast again... I will gather my strength and do it. I try not to be consumed by fear. I have seen that some people are so consumed they can't enjoy life with NED. For me I have been able to have a balance... but I admit for me this web site seems to be a great comfort. I sign on every day... and give it a few minutes... and then try to pack it away until the next day... it seems to work for me. Once I sign off... my chance of recurrence is gone until the next day... when I give it it's 15 minutes of fame and then I get on with living my life to the fullest. And yes sometimes.... it knocks on my door at other times... but I try to rien it back into to it's worry window and get back to enjoying the wonderful world that has been provided for our enjoyment.

Take Care.. God Bless...

Susan
  • krkath
    krkath Member Posts: 72
    Options
    KathiM said:

terri,

No offense intended...I truly believe that...not going out on a wild hair, just making sure that things are said that need to be, people are hugged that need to be...

Having beat every stat for my rectal cancer (stage III), I KNOW cancer can strike again...it did, 3 months later...totally unrelated breast cancer (stage IIB). I guess the powers that be didn't think I learned the lesson the first time...had to do a little reinforcement...hehehehehehe

Talk about perspective: When I was given the bc diag, I said "OK, so what do we do with THIS one?". No tears. For a person who has this as their first cancer, it is devistating. But there is a 95% survival rate for bc, and reoccurance rates, as you shared, can be minimized by proper treatment and lifestyle changes.

I am VERY sensitive to body changes, and have a dear, understanding primary care who will take me seriously, with a grain of salt. Currently, I am having symptoms that can't rule out brain metastisis (from the rectal or breast, who knows..both could do it). So, he put in for an MRI. He saved my life with my rectal cancer. I trust him when he says I am overreacting, and when I am not.

Hugs, Kathi

Hi Kathi,
    Just to say you are such a wonderful person and love seeing your e-mails.
    I'm just recently seeing a Pain Session Group, doing Aqua Therapy, Relaxation Tech., a little stretching (yoga type) and finally Bio-Feedback.
    Everything seemed to be going on fine and I have felt just recently like my body hurts in wierd places (like the flu) and my head sometimes has this swimmimg sensation.??? Can't really explain it.
    I had B/C masect. w/ pos. nodes and the aggressive Taxotere, A/C combined. At a year and 1 mo., completion of therapy; feel like chemo and rads have destroyed my body. I think I told you I've shrunk 2" and also like you have osteoporosis.
    I have my 3 mo. checkup 9/21. But how did you feel before they said you might have brain mestasis? Did your blood work look different? Since they are ordering a scan, how did you feel?
    I too am concerned with recurrence since I felt better a month after my sessions ended and my body seems to be getting older by the day, as Terri has asked a question I think we all worry about. You know every little ache and pain. Just wondering if you felt anything different? Or anyone else?
    Hugs to all you out there fighting the beast!
    Happy Labor Day.
    Kathy
  • drenna
    drenna Member Posts: 8
    Options
    KathiM said:

terri,

Hugs, Kathi

Kathi,
    I also had the "floating" feeling in my brain, horrible headaches and crazy dizziness. I had a mri done and saw a nerologist(sp?). It turned out that I was having a rare reaction to taxoter. When I stopped taking the drug, it took about 2 months for most of the symtems to go away.oh,yeah I was also covered in bruises,I do mean covered! Two weeks ago I had a hysterectomy, complete. I will have a brain scan every 3 months for I don't know how long, along with blood test. Talk to your ancologist, from what I see on this site and from my own. They are committed to not only killing our cancers but also our fears! Walk in faith not in fear!
    drenna
  • drenna
    drenna Member Posts: 8
    Options
    KathiM said:

terri,

Hugs, Kathi

My reaction was to tamoxaphen, not taxoter. 9 months out of treatment can I still call it "chemo brain" or were there just too many drugs?! So sorry for the mis-information. drenna