Neulasta

Options
toninasky
toninasky Member Posts: 102
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Well I was doing fine until they gave me neulasta. I have run a fever between 101 and 103, and severe chills. My blood work was really good. I am not going to take it again, adn they agree. Feel like someone beat me to death. My body reacts badly to some drugs, and high fever is one of the signs. I feel awful. Blood work done today, and white blood cells really good. NO MORE NUELASTA, Anyone else have a problem with it???

Comments

• dbqueen
    dbqueen Member Posts: 16
    Options
    EVERY time I took Neulasta I got a fever. They told me it had nothing to do with the Neulasta and kept putting me on antibiotics. My counts were not high enough to stop taking it. But I was very suspicious that it was the Neulasta causing the fever. Interesting to hear of your experience.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    I HATED Neulasta....same reason...during my breast cancer treatment. Sadly, my white counts were ALWAYS in the basement!!!!
    During my rectal treatment, I was given Neupogen instead. This is the same stuff, but the delivery system is different....1 shot a day for 4 days....I had NO reaction to that!!! (Other than my white cell count coming back into the good range...)

Hugs, kathi
  • Tigger35
    Tigger35 Member Posts: 21
    Options
    Sorry to hear you are feeling bad. I had Neupogen, the only side effect was some bone pain, I have larger bones. They gave me pain killer, I did fine, my WBC stayed up. Hope you feel better.
  • Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    Options
    Sorry to hear of your trouble. I like many of the others here did not get good results with Nuelasta. I had tremendous bone pain and it did not help my white blood cell count. They switched me to Neupogen. It was much better. Much less bone pain and it worked to really help my white blood cell count. So if your white blood cell count starts to go low (mine was a problem) then you may ask about the Nuepogen. The only down side was that I had to take a shot each day for 10 days each time I had A/C, but to keep from going to the Doctor I learned how to give it to myself. Not too bad. Hope you get to feeling better.

Take Care... God Bless..

Susan
  • toninasky
    Options
    KathiM said:

I HATED Neulasta....same reason...during my breast cancer treatment. Sadly, my white counts were ALWAYS in the basement!!!!
    During my rectal treatment, I was given Neupogen instead. This is the same stuff, but the delivery system is different....1 shot a day for 4 days....I had NO reaction to that!!! (Other than my white cell count coming back into the good range...)

Hugs, kathi

Hey Kathi, and dqueen

How many days did the chills and fever last I am on day 5 and at my witts end. Can't take much more. Onc says bad side effect could last up to 10 days. I don't know if I can take it. I am really physically beat up. I am a pretty strong person but this is from hell.
  • toninasky
    Options
    Hi Kathy and dqueen,

How long did the fever and mainly the chills last. Onc say bad reaction could last 10 days. Don't know if I can take it. I am pretty strong but this is really beating me up. He won't use it again. This is from hell.

Toni
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    toninasky said:

Hi Kathy and dqueen,

How long did the fever and mainly the chills last. Onc say bad reaction could last 10 days. Don't know if I can take it. I am pretty strong but this is really beating me up. He won't use it again. This is from hell.

Toni

Toni,

I was over the sides from the Neulasta by day 5 post chemo. That said, I took Tylenol as often as was recommended, and drank water, water, water....flushed that stuff right thru....
    Also, I used a heating pad for my shoulder...it hurt very badly the day AFTER the injection....
    PLEASE ask about Neupogen...it is a bit of a pain having to keep going back for shots, but it was so much more tolerable...wish I had spoken up and switched back....

BUT remember the water....I drank 2 quarts daily...day before infusion, day of, and day after, and then on my 'special' day (when the Adriamycin came in full force) I forced down as much water as possible. It REALLY makes a difference, trust me....

Hugs to a great lady!

Kathi
  • pansylover
    pansylover Member Posts: 80
    Options
    I haad the injection in my stomach area. not much trouble there.some bone pain but took tylenol for that andh yes,lots lots lots of water.
    Cindie
  • ylgriffin1
    ylgriffin1 Member Posts: 17
    Options
    sorry that you had a bad reaction. i had neupogen. it was great. a few aches but my body is very sensitive so my onc never gave me neulasta. i injected neupogen once daily for 7 days after treatment. made a difference with my counts. i only required 1 transfusion when i did 4 months ACT in 04. Now with the reoccurrence, i doing MFL in 6 months. My numbers are okay since this treatment is not as toxic as ACT. ask your onc about neupogen. I wish you well. God Bless.
    Yvette