Hello everyone

LLLady
LLLady Member Posts: 67
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I hope your all doing well
We have a question for you
How do we know the chemo is working?
How do they know if the cancer is coming back, Gone ect....
I did read about a test C.E.A ? that they check but if it's that easy why didn't they check that in the first place or on anyone they think may have cancer ?
Thank you my sweet angels

Comments

• Patrusha
    Patrusha Member Posts: 487
    My thought is that you DON'T know the chemo is working until it is all over with and tests show NED (No Evidence of Disease). Those same tests will hopefully detect any recurrence. Sometimes they'll do a few rounds of chemo and do a CAT scan, for instance, depending on the case.

The CEA (carcinoembryonic antigen) test is just a marker of sorts. The normal level is between a 0 and 3. When I was dianosed, my CEA was only 1.5 (they probably have a CEA for Duey in their paperwork, just ask them). Some people have CEAs in the hundreds at diagnosis and others have none at all. So it really isn't a diagnostic test.

CEA can help, however, to determine if cancer is building in the system. The CEA might increase in that case. I say "Might" because illness, injury, and even medicines and chemo can cause fluctuations in the CEA. It's a very individual marker, and not always a reliable one in the larger over all treatment puzzle.
  • Betsydoglover
    Betsydoglover Member Posts: 1,248 Member
    Hi Lady -

It depends in part upon the Stage. I am Stage IV. I had a PET and CT scan before chemo - then one after 2 cycles, another after 6 cycles (my last chemo) and since then PETs and CT's at least every 2 months - looking forward (ok - not) to the next one at the end of September (which will be 3 months instead of 2 and that also scares me). My oncologist does CEA tests also, but they have never been significant for me (and of course CBC's and blood chemistry. My onc says frequent trips to the scanner is the way to go. But if you are at an earlier stage than IV, then it is more difficult because your chemo is "adjuvant" meaning preventative and there isn't so much that's obvious to follow. By the way, that is not a bad thing - I'd take stage 2 or 3 over stage 4 any day (or night) of the week!

Betsy
  • ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    Hi lady'
    Cancer treatment is a leap of faith, you just have to believe that it is working,I knew it was for me. When I finnised my chemo ,I had a very old regime of 5fu and levamisole, I asked my onc how I would know if i was in trouble again. He finally suggested that if I had any problems eg a pain or something that progressively got worse and never improved ,see my doctor asap. I have done that on several occassions and have been treated for pancreatitis ,several lots of ulcers ,gall bladder ect ect ectBUT NOT CANCER. Your husband is a survivor ,believe it,((((())))) Ron.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    I have finally accepted that the beast will stalk behind me 1 foot for the rest of my life. I will allow that, just no closer. Closer than 1 foot, I go to the doctor....just like with my MRI (STILL waiting for the insurance) for my head....
    I, unfortunatly, KNOW that the beast can return without notice...3 months of NED for the crc brought me stage II breast cancer.
    That said,
    I do NOT recommend worrying about it. Make the appointment with the doctor, and push until the ache or pain has been identified. We cancer survivors have learned the lesson of not 'writing off' changes in our body....we have far too much to lose.....

But until otherwise informed, the chemo is working, I AM NED, and that is that. On with the show!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • LLLady
    LLLady Member Posts: 67
    KathiM said:

I have finally accepted that the beast will stalk behind me 1 foot for the rest of my life. I will allow that, just no closer. Closer than 1 foot, I go to the doctor....just like with my MRI (STILL waiting for the insurance) for my head....
    I, unfortunatly, KNOW that the beast can return without notice...3 months of NED for the crc brought me stage II breast cancer.
    That said,
    I do NOT recommend worrying about it. Make the appointment with the doctor, and push until the ache or pain has been identified. We cancer survivors have learned the lesson of not 'writing off' changes in our body....we have far too much to lose.....

But until otherwise informed, the chemo is working, I AM NED, and that is that. On with the show!!!

Hugs, Kathi

Your all so awesome I learn more here from you all then any where
    You all always seem to make me feel better. I really don't know what I would do without you all
    XOX
  • pink05
    pink05 Member Posts: 550
    Hi,

In your husband's case, as long as the scans show NED, you know that the chemo is working. Just make sure that you always report anything that seems out of the ordinary.

God bless,

-Lee-