New to the Forum

msuscottie
msuscottie Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi All. Grandmother & Mother are both Breast Cancer Survivors. My wife & I just recently had our first daughter and I don't know much about the disease ... Is it hereditary?

I actually just got out of the hospital from my second brain surgery to remove a brain tumor, so I am paranoid about my daughters health! These forums are great for information and new friends, There is another good one over at patient-network.com ... thanks for the help everyone!

Comments

• Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    Breast Cancer can be heriditary.. but also can happen in women with no family history. The goal with Breast Cancer is early detection. So just make sure that routine exams are done and at least if the beast comes... you will catch it early enough to win the battle. Also, by the time your daughter is old enough to get breast cancer... I expect that they will have a cure. They are learning how to treat the disease so much better each day.

Take Care.. God Bless.... Hope your recovery is going well.

Susan
  • toninasky
    toninasky Member Posts: 102
    Hi, Well of course it can be hereditary, but in my case there is not one case of breast cancer in my family anywhere. Mine is related to hormones, and not because I took them, I did not. After menopause you still have those nasty estrogens and progesterones, and that is what my tumor was related too. The most important thing I think I can say is, dont' worry about tomorrow, it may never happen. Enjoy each day with your daughter and wife. As for you, I wish you blessings and a complete recovery.

Toni
  • ylgriffin1
    ylgriffin1 Member Posts: 17
    hi all, mother survived cervical cancer, grandmother is breast cancer survivor now I have breast cancer at 40 & 43. cancer in family increases offsprings chances. early detection is the key. don't panic, be aware and make sure your daughters get checked more often like i did. god bless. yvette
  • Tigger35
    Tigger35 Member Posts: 21
    Welcome, congratulations, daughters are wonderful. I had breast cancer at 35 & 37, hereditary on my father's side, more uncommon, but it does happen. My best advice is to educate your daughter as she develops to know her body. Doctors don't see patients enough to know what feels normal, only we know our bodies well. Also, from a parents point of few, I have a teenage daughter, I can't give her answers as to what may or may not happen to her. I have educated her and have had her talk one-on-one with my doctor. There are studies out there that you can research about cancer, heredity, tests, etc. The last study I read only 10% of all breast cancers are hereditary, that was about 5 years ago. Enjoy your daughter. Take care.