Iron Deficiency Anemia

inkblot
inkblot Member Posts: 698 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi Ladies,

During my recent oncology check up (now once yearly) my doc discovered that I'm anemic. Quite a surprise. My only symptoms had been fairly mild:
1. I'd taken up crunching ice, which I've never done before.
2. I'd get an occasional muscle cramp in my upper or lower leg upon physical exertion.
3. I noticed over the previous months that I'd become fatigued easier than ever before but just chalked it up to aging. Otherwise, no pains, aches or complaints. Doc noticed that my gums and lips were pale. Obviously this developed so slowly that I hadn't noticed.

My Ferritin level is at 8, so she says I'm more than just a little deficient. Began iron supplements right away. Many gastric problems with that and finally found something which is easier on the tummy, so going ok with that part of it. However, docs have concluded that I'm loosing blood somewhere, so the search begins. No obvious urine/stool bleeding but stool test for occult (hidden from the naked eye) blood came back positive. I take a lot of Vit C, so docs aren't sure whether the test was skewed due to the "C", as it can cause occult tests to read falsely positive.

Am scheduled next week for an endoscopy and colonoscopy. Will have both procedures at the same time. Sounds most unpleasant to say the least. Gastro doc says it will likely take no more than 30 minutes for both and that I will be out, so I guess that's consoling! I'm sure that it will be one of those days which will only be memorable because it's BEHIND me! LOL

Gastro doc is also a cancer survivor and says that
bc metting to the colon is not common but that it does happen. Also, that there are many, many other possible issues, such as an asymptomatic ulcer, diverticula problems (eveidently there are several varieties of these), an inflamed/irritated/bleeding polyp, a small tear anywhere along the GI tract...the list is longer than I'd imagined. My onc says that it's also entirely possible that I've developed an iron malabsorption syndrome. Just have to wait and see as we begin the "ruling out" process.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone with any experience/knowledge about IDA and what the outcome/dx may have been, in someone with no pre-existing conditions, such as kidney disease/dialysis, etc.. In the absence of any gastric/intestinal symptoms and since all my other labs are perfect, it's a mystery at this point. Also, I've never heard of an "asymptomatic" uler but evidently they exist, per the doc's statement. Any input on that one, ladies? LOL Live and learn!

Love, light and laughter,
Ink

Comments

• cruf
    cruf Member Posts: 908
    Hi Ink! Haven't seen any posts from you in quite a while! So glad to hear from you! I don't have anything to say about your anemia other than I hope it turns out to be nothing! I too, will have a colonoscopy in the near future. Can't wait! NOT!Good luck! Will be praying for you. HUGS!! Cathy
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Yes, my dear, I am one of the 'lucky' ones to win the prize of bc and crc....in 19 months!
    Mine were both primary site cancers...one squamous cell carcinoma, one adenocardinoma....but according to one oncologist I spoke with, there is a relationship in many women....
    Colonoscopies (of which I have now 2 'under my belt') are not tough, and neither are endoscopies (of which I've had one). You are under consious sedation, and won't remember....BUT the PREP is the nasty thing.....
    PHOSPO-SODA is this seemingly harmless, 3 oz bottle of stuff...trust me...I have had 5 encounters with this 'cleansing'...to date, I have NEVER finished the whole thing....
    One of my semi-colon friends suggested mixing it VERY COLD into margarita mix....it is VERY SALTY...don't put salt on the rim....just imagine chips and salsa....and a mexican guitar...
    Hope you don't follow my path....BUT, if you do....21 months after my initial dx, I am NED on BOTH the rectal and the breast cancer....
    Hugs, Kathi
  • Mosis50
    Mosis50 Member Posts: 59
    HEY INK!!!
    So glad to see you post again. I miss reading your wonderful words of wisdom!!! May God have his loving arms around you. I pray that this is nothing serious and the tests give you the answers you need!!! Susan
  • jmears
    jmears Member Posts: 266
    Your issue sounds very familiar ... although I do have mets to the bones and at the time of the anemia showing up I was only taking Herceptin ... Dr said the same thing ...must be losing blood ... I had the Colonoscopy and endoscopy and as everyone says ...it's the prep ...I almost had to cancel...but i am a huge baby lately about swallowing things. Anyway ...nothing showed up wither way except yhe Gastro Dr said i have irritable bowel syndrome ... but that is kind of a catch all. I tried several iron tablets ... and they all gave me diarreh (I neverspell that right)which is opposite from the normal reaction ... so my Onc Dr had me take 6 weekly treatments of iron infusions. Since I started those infusions I have also started a chemotherapy called xeloda and as of this past Monday ... my iron levels are great ...even with the chemo. My Onc concluded that I had an obsorption problem for whatever reason ... but the infusions worked well. My Onc is also a Hemotogist and I see a lot of older women and pregnant women taking the iron infusions ... so it's not unusual. Anyway ... best of luck to you ...love to hear how your prep goes ... the test will e a piece of cake!!! Jamie
  • inkblot
    cruf said:

Hi Ink! Haven't seen any posts from you in quite a while! So glad to hear from you! I don't have anything to say about your anemia other than I hope it turns out to be nothing! I too, will have a colonoscopy in the near future. Can't wait! NOT!Good luck! Will be praying for you. HUGS!! Cathy

CRUF,MOSIS50 AND JMEARS!!!

My goodness, what a wonderful surprise to hear from you guys!!! Just made my day! Better than anything the ole doc could have prescribed.

Thanks for sharing and for your words of encouragement.

I had the procedures yesterday. The prep was literally a PITA (pain in the arse). You HAD to ask, Jamie! LOL I only finished half the 4 litre bottle of wicked juice to achieve the desired result. That being a tired me and a somewhat sore bum. Anyway the procedure itself wasn't a deal. Somewhat sick from the anesthesia afterwards, but that's par for me. My system is quite terrible in tolerating pain meds, anesthesia and many other things one could name.

Doc discovered and removed 6 polyps. Two of which appeared to have been producing the occult bleeding. Won't have the path report until Tuesday (due to the holiday) but doc's instinct and experience lend the idea that they're benign. An interesting thing was that they generate a report of the procedure, with details and still pictures to bring home, together with post-procdure instructions. Pics of my polyps! Should I frame them or what? NOT! Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Jamie, hang in there. I've heard of Xeloda accomplishing some amazing things and I'm so happy to hear that your iron problem is solved! Wondering if I may have the iron infusions and skip the many months long process of rebuilding my stores with pills? Glad you mentioned that, so I can ask my doc.

Ink
  • inkblot
    KathiM said:

Yes, my dear, I am one of the 'lucky' ones to win the prize of bc and crc....in 19 months!
    Mine were both primary site cancers...one squamous cell carcinoma, one adenocardinoma....but according to one oncologist I spoke with, there is a relationship in many women....
    Colonoscopies (of which I have now 2 'under my belt') are not tough, and neither are endoscopies (of which I've had one). You are under consious sedation, and won't remember....BUT the PREP is the nasty thing.....
    PHOSPO-SODA is this seemingly harmless, 3 oz bottle of stuff...trust me...I have had 5 encounters with this 'cleansing'...to date, I have NEVER finished the whole thing....
    One of my semi-colon friends suggested mixing it VERY COLD into margarita mix....it is VERY SALTY...don't put salt on the rim....just imagine chips and salsa....and a mexican guitar...
    Hope you don't follow my path....BUT, if you do....21 months after my initial dx, I am NED on BOTH the rectal and the breast cancer....
    Hugs, Kathi

KathiM,

Thanks for sharing. While I didn't follow your semi-colon friends suggestion, it was certainly a thought about half way through the process! LOL

Your experience is a lot to deal with in so short a period of time indeed! Your bravery is only rivaled by your infectious sense of humor! I get a huge laugh out of some of the things you post here. Keep up the good work on both fronts!

Ink