Could use some help in Chapin/columbia SC area

Options
billswife
billswife Member Posts: 33
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I posted before when I had just has a questionable MRI and was fearful of results so close to moving away from my base of support-- thanks you to those who replied, it did help.
The results of the biopsy were indeed positive but I have very little hard info.(right after we left for SC so did all my drs until after Labor Day!--isn't anyone allowed to get sick in August?)
I've decided I want to have the surgery done here at our NCI Comprehensive Cancer Center. It's 15 minutes from what is still home.
I must have a mastectomy because the original tumor is 3cm and more than one is involved in the same quadrant, followed by chemo-- no mention of radiation. I'm OK with that.
Don't know much about lymph nodes but inthe physical exam he he said he didn't feel anything unusual. Good , I guess
I'm doing all my pre op stuff while he's away and while he alone can get me on the schedule fairly quickly, hooking up with the plastic surgeon will push everything back to the end of Sept.-- the same week we're suppose to move.
We can make arrangements for me to remain behind until I can travel and my husband to go to SC to close on the home & take delivery of the furniture
So I can breathe a little easier about that.
If any of you live in the Chapin/ Columbia, SC area, I sure could use some advice, help anything about deciding on which Palmetto hospital to choose for my follow -up chemo, finding doctors, support groups anything tht would make a stranger in a strange land feel not so alone.
Thanks for listening
Kathy

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Oh, Kathy....fight the beast with all that you can!!!!
    I am in So Calif, so am no help for local centers (MINE here is fantastic...sigh...quite a communte for you!!!)
    PLEASE keep us posted, and understand that you will be 'recovering' for quite awhile if any of the nodes are removed....I consider myself to be totally ok...went out and cut a limb off a fruit tree...swelling....sigh....
    DO NOT lift, carry, anything.....my surgery, with nodes removed, was a year ago Sept....

Hugs, Kathi
  • Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    Options
    Hi Kathy,

As you know I am from Aiken, but my Mom has an oncologist in Columbia. She is with the group below:

http://www.sconcology.net/about.asp

Her Doctors name is Rosmary Lambert-Falls. She is happy with her. They have built a new Cancer treatment facility, Info in in the web site shown above. The Phone number for that practice is 1-802-461-3000.

If you don't use this group, then your other option is this web site.
    http://www.palmettohealth.org/facilities/cancer/open.html

There are 4 hospitals in the Chapin/Columbia area. Lexington Medical Center (seems to be fine for Cancer), The Palmetto Health Care runs both Richland Memorial & Baptist Hospitals (they collectively run the second Cancer Center above) and Providence Hospital (it is the Heart & orthopedic hospital).

Hope this helps.

Take Care and God Bless.

Susan
  • Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    Options
    Slight correction:

I gave you a wrong digit in the phone number

1-803-461-3000.