Had 2 mastectomies 2 yrs. apart, now had tumor removed from under my skin above sternum...

prayerangel
prayerangel Member Posts: 147
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
...the docs are calling it a local reoccurence. It wasn't attached to anything, like bone or muscle. My question is this...does anyone know of anyone, or yourself, having a 3rd site, and then the odds of it spreading to bones, liver, etc.? Are there statistics out there on the Internet? Any suggestions? The first mastect. wasn't hormonal, the 2nd and 3rd times were. Have been on tamoxifen for almost 4 yrs.
Thanks.

Comments

• ktinkey
    ktinkey Member Posts: 170
    Hi,

I was on tamoxifen for 4 years when I had a local recurrence (3rd time also). The oncologist switched me to Femara. Since I was premenopausal, I opted to have just my ovaries removed, so I could take the medication. You can take shots to stop your ovaries from producing estrogen. You need to discuss all your options with your oncologist. I also went into a trial for an experimental drug that was supposed to boost the immune system. The drug company stopped the trial, but I had very good results. The cancer responded and it has not spread and it has been three years now. Of course everyone is different, but I am out here to hold up the candle of hope for you. I was Stage IV with the second recurrence, so the oncologist still keeps a very close eye on me. You know your own body, so let the doctor know of any new symptoms right away. Most time they are nothing, but my doctor always wants to know as soon as possible. Better to be safe than sorry.

God Bless,
    Kathy
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398 Member
    ktinkey said:

Hi,

I was on tamoxifen for 4 years when I had a local recurrence (3rd time also). The oncologist switched me to Femara. Since I was premenopausal, I opted to have just my ovaries removed, so I could take the medication. You can take shots to stop your ovaries from producing estrogen. You need to discuss all your options with your oncologist. I also went into a trial for an experimental drug that was supposed to boost the immune system. The drug company stopped the trial, but I had very good results. The cancer responded and it has not spread and it has been three years now. Of course everyone is different, but I am out here to hold up the candle of hope for you. I was Stage IV with the second recurrence, so the oncologist still keeps a very close eye on me. You know your own body, so let the doctor know of any new symptoms right away. Most time they are nothing, but my doctor always wants to know as soon as possible. Better to be safe than sorry.

God Bless,
    Kathy

There have been cases where women have many reoccurances of breast cancer and I know of an old singer who had it 5 times, even though had double mastectomy. They just can't get every cell and she still had no involvement with bone or organs.
    From what I understand, since we don't get cut right down to muscle there still are cells attached and that is why chemo and radiation come into play. Chemo kills cells cut loose in blood and radiation from my understanding is largely due to seeding of cells that can occur during the removal of disease.
    No two people are alike and no cancer therefore are alike. I found that out since my cancer didn't meet any of the criteria set out by medical community and I didn't react like most people through my treatments.
    Sounds to me like you are taking good care and found this early. That is the best we can do for we truly do know our own bodies.
    Tara
  • prayerangel
    prayerangel Member Posts: 147
    ktinkey said:

Hi,

God Bless,
    Kathy

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU all of you! To have people out there that have had the exact same thing as me! You have no idea what it means to me, that you have all answered my questions. It is true, that no 2 people's bodies are the same, and the cancer isn't the same either. I am so grateful for all of those women who have gone before us, making it so much easier for US! I'm glad I live in today's technology, than years past.
    God bless you all!
    Karen