Surgery scheduled August 1st

afraidinindy
afraidinindy Member Posts: 80
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Don't remember what I've updated out here, but my husband is to have colon resection with an ileostomy next Tuesday. I'm getting more nervous as the time nears. Can anyone that has been through this give me any information and what to expect? Doctor says he is a bit concerned as this is not the usual type case - whatever that means. I'm so afraid of what they will find after they get in there. Any advice you can offer me?

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Hey, my dear, it's ok to be nervous.

As far as 'not usual', neither was I...squamous cell in the rectum....my surgeon said 'rare as hen's teeth'....
    Hubby's doc will tell you all the post-surgical stuff, and I would imagine he will be in the hospital for a little over a week, I was....first 2 days post surgery were a blur, then started getting back to 'normal'. BUT, THEY MADE ME GET OUT OF BED THE DAY AFTER SURGERY...I WAS VERY MAD...SOMETHING ABOUT AVOIDING CLOTS...HEHEHEHE...
    I had a reenstimosis (I have NO idea how to spell that)...simply, no stomy...so I can't share about that...
    If he is like me, he will get MAJOR drugs, so don't expect him to stay awake the whole time anyone visits in that first 2 days...let him sleep...he is being awakened every night at least once about 2am to take his vitals...
    I was in the hospital 3 times on this fight, and so I learned to go with the flow...laugh as much as you can....be VERY nice to his nurses...one went all the way to the cafeteria to get me some ice cream one night...
    AND, to make this longer...my fav story....

I was in a teaching hospital, so I was seen by MANY attendings/residents/nurses/etc everyday. I got to the place that when someone in scrubs or a white coat made eye contact (I had a roommate), I would pull down my sheets, and pull up my gown so they could see my incision. One morning, a young man in scrubs made eye contact, and I went into my routine. My gown was half way up when I noticed his eyes were as big as saucers...I stopped, and he said "No, no, no....I just here clean bathroom" in broken english....I laughed sooooo hard....
    Hugs to you and hubby,
    Kathi
  • Moesimo
    Moesimo Member Posts: 1,072 Member
    I had the same surgery. I felt miserable for a few days. Make sure the stoma nurse marks where the stoma goes. Bring a small pillow to use on abdomen when coughing. Remember to walk, and walk and walk some more.

Ask for an epidural for pain control. It was wonderful.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Maureen
  • musiclover
    musiclover Member Posts: 242
    My friend Mark had a fabulous surgeon for his surgery. His situation was "not normal" either - he had a tumor connected to his sphincter muscle. Usually that means a permanent colostomy but the doctor worked some magic so that Mark could get a reversal at some point. The surgery he had is called TME, very specifically designed to preserve the rectum, nerves, one's manhood (if one IS a man) and more. It is much less invasive than traditional colon surgery. His recovery was long. They cut through his abdomen and his muscles were sore for some time (three months total?). He is doing fine now and the scaring is minimal. He wasn't lifting heavy things, driving too much or doing any vigorous exercise during that time.
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Indy -

Best advice I can give to you is - try not to worry about it. There are dozens of us who have had one iteration of this surgery or another here. It wasn't fun and it wasn't fast, but we're all still here.

Advice for your husband - WALK WALK WALK. Don't do sit-ups (won't be difficult to dissuade him from that, trust me) and don't lift heavy objects for a few months. Did I mention WALK WALK WALK?

Keeping you both in my prayers.

- SB
  • jana11
    jana11 Member Posts: 705
    Hi. I saw the post and wanted to send a note hoping your hubbie's surgery is a breeze. Just hang in there. Stay in the hospital room with your hubbie in case he has any late night problems.. and try to relax. My hubbie brought tons of cards and pictures and put them on the walls in the room. Made me feel good.

Good for home is a wedge pillow in case his stomach is sore and laying down hurts. Get a removable shower head for home right after surgery when you have to keep certain areas dry for a bit.

The best advice, is just be loving and supportive. We can tell you have already mastered that. Hang in there. jana
  • jams67
    jams67 Member Posts: 925 Member
    I'll be praying for you, best of luck with the surgery. Remember being afraid of something that you are imagining is similar to being afraid of the dark. You're just afraid of something that might happen, not that does happen. Wait and see what really happens, and deal with it in a concrete way. In the meantime, ask everyone you know to pray for him.