Erbitux Rash

liverpoolgirl
liverpoolgirl Member Posts: 44
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Well as you know I had posted to find out when my husband should expect to see the "ErbiRASH" Well it's here and pretty nasty. Today will be his third infusion of Erbitux. Just wondering does anyone have any remedies to sooth it a little, I have stocked up on Head and Shoulders for him, as I read on this board that that helps. Onc. nurse said to wash with Neutregina (sp) soap and use Lubriderm Moisterizer, which I also stocked up on. Just wondering if anyone out there has any other suggestion on what to use, all you fighters know some remedies that the doc/nurse's dont.

I read all you posts every day, and you guys/gals are the best, I am in awe of you all. I am what you all call a lerker.....

My prayers are with you all
Keep up the good fight, this BEAST CAN AND WILL BE BEATEN

Debbie
aka "the English chick"

Comments

• nanuk
    nanuk Member Posts: 1,358 Member
    derm doc gave me betamethasone Dipropionate .05%
    (Rx) Bud
  • dash4
    dash4 Member Posts: 303 Member
    HI! So sorry to hear about your husband. It is hard to watch them deal with the rash. My husband, John, has been on erbitux for 9 months now--has needed 3 "breaks" for a couple weeks. But there is hope--John went to a dematologist doing a study and biopsied the rash....he is on Keflex (antibiotic)500 mg 3 times a day and soriatane (psoriasis medication) 25 mg 2 times a day. It is amazing how much it is controlling the rash. John's rash has been so severe he ran a fever from it and was hospitalized even. And then it was so bad on his face and head he was embarrassed to leave the house and his head was very painful just to lay back on a pillow and his head and back had pustules that would just bleed from the pressure of sitting back or laying down. Now he has some rash--but the pain and pustules are gone...his face and scalp are clear. We have tried all kinds of ointments and nothing really did the trick for John till he was on the meds. If you want more info - you can email me--glad to share our experience and hopefully prevent you from being where John has been with the rash. Good luck.
    Dash
  • rthornton
    rthornton Member Posts: 346 Member
    nanuk said:

derm doc gave me betamethasone Dipropionate .05%
    (Rx) Bud

Diprolene, aka betamethasone diproprionate, is great for treating exema. It's a steroid, and I was told NOT to use it on my face because it thins the skin. So, after a while veins would start to show through the skin, which would be bad on a face.
  • goldfinch
    goldfinch Member Posts: 735
    I may not qualify to answer this as my rash has not been bad, except at the very beginning (of course and they would bleed, I choose to believe the erbitux is working even without a bad rash). The rash started after the 1st or2nd day of erbitux. I got these huge pustules on and around my nose that would burst open at the slightest provacation, but especially if I was pushing to go to the BR. I tried the head and shoulders and some clearisil. But although it dried it out, it left things very, very dry and the pustules kept coming. I talked to my NP and she gave me a script for clindamycin cream. That was quite effectice. My nose andsurrounding area are still a bit redder than usual, but nothing that a little concealer can't cover. I went back to my usual routine of cleansing with an avon face cleanser and using a microdermabrasion product from them. If I use it just as the pustule is forming it seems to clear it before it gets started.
    I get the rash on my chest and excessive dryness on my back (unusual for me despite my old age~~~50 years old today!!), but neither if these bother me much. I have a little on my scalp, but again not bothersome unless I'm taking a very hot shower. I had my 6th dose yesterday.
    i'm having more issues with hair loss from the camptosar.
    Good luck!!!
    Mary