Back pain from Femara & Aromasin

KTJDsmom
KTJDsmom Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi, After one month on Femara, I developed severe low back pain. X-ray, CT, MRI, whole body scan, bone density all pretty much normal. Onc had me stop Femara for 7 days; back pain subsided. Started on Aromasin; back pain returned after 1 wk. Onc. says it won't do any good to switch me to another; gave me the choice of quiting drug. I'm not ready to quit yet; want to hang in there; but some days pain is so severe that I can hardly walk. I'm doing physical therapy now; which is helping slightly. Never had back pain before in my life (I'm 53). Has anyone else had the same problem; and what did you do? I'm not looking forward to dealing with this pain for the next 5 yrs!

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Even tho I am 'eligible' for the aromatase inhibitors (femara, aromasin, arimidex), I came up osteoporotic after chemo, so my onc has me on Tamoxifen for at least a year, then we will switch. So far, almost 2 weeks out, no side effects....
    I am also on Actonel for the osteo...

BTW, have you any OTHER symptoms....I had a double dose...colorectal cancer and breast cancer...not related, but higher incidence in women (oh, joy!) with one or the other ending up with both....back pain was my first symptom...
    You are at the age....have YOU had YOUR colonoscopy??????

Hugs, Kathi
  • cruf
    cruf Member Posts: 908
    I'm 54 and was on Tamoxifen for 5 years with really no joint problems.I switched to femara in Oct. and progressively developed multiple joint pain and fatigue. I stayed on it till This month and have switched to aromasen. Now I have back pain which I'm not sure is from the meds. I've only been on it for 1 1/2 weeks so think it's quick for symptoms. I did have more and more discomfort from the Femara at about 3 mos. and it continued. I also had increased hot flashes and night sweats which I've now had for 6 years! YUK! All I can say is it's possible the meds have caused the pain but if it progresses, I would have a workup to R/O any other problems. Please keep us informed. HUGS!! Cathy
  • LesleyH
    LesleyH Member Posts: 370
    I have always had lower back pain after standing for long periods (at least since my third pregnancy - 9 lb baby). Now I walk 6 miles a day and get some back pain. I am on Tamoxifen, but can't honestly say that it's the cause. I did find that doing these 8 exercises EVERY day really helps:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Are-You-Willing-To-Follow-Eight-Yoga-Exercises-For-the-Lower-Back?&id=7571

Hugs.

Lesley
  • littleladi
    littleladi Member Posts: 11
    I was on Tamoxifen for 2 years, then had a recurrance. I have been on Arimidex and developed aching hands, ankles and knees. Saw my Onc last week and she said Arimidex causes the hands and feet to hurt and there is nothing I can do about it. Gave me the option of going back on Tamoxifen, which I feel 'failed' to work on me, so I'll put up with the pains. I did switch from Tylenol to Ibuprophen, and the Onc said that was a better choice for the joint pain, but she said to try the other one, Aleve is it? I'll have to check the store shelves. Never was one for pain meds, but never had a pain that stayed for the duration: 5 years of this! Arimidex doesn't normally cause the bigger bone joints to hurt (so I'm told), but we know every body is different. My knees never hurt before and now I dread the act of sitting and standing. Just put me in the corner over there, and let me be. Kidding! Therapy and staying active is a good thing.
  • KTJDsmom
    KathiM said:

Even tho I am 'eligible' for the aromatase inhibitors (femara, aromasin, arimidex), I came up osteoporotic after chemo, so my onc has me on Tamoxifen for at least a year, then we will switch. So far, almost 2 weeks out, no side effects....
    I am also on Actonel for the osteo...

BTW, have you any OTHER symptoms....I had a double dose...colorectal cancer and breast cancer...not related, but higher incidence in women (oh, joy!) with one or the other ending up with both....back pain was my first symptom...
    You are at the age....have YOU had YOUR colonoscopy??????

Hugs, Kathi

Hi,Kathi, I'm new to this site and not quite sure how things work! It's funny you mentioned having colon cx. My dad died of colon cx in 1984 at the age of 59. He ignored symptoms for months before getting checked out. Because of that, I've had 3 colonoscopies; last one in May,'06, month after I finished radiation. Everything's fine in that area. I've also had Type 1 diabetes for the past 14 yrs; and on an insulin pump. None of my docs think that has anything to do with the back pain.
    Thx, KTJDsmom
  • KTJDsmom
    cruf said:

I'm 54 and was on Tamoxifen for 5 years with really no joint problems.I switched to femara in Oct. and progressively developed multiple joint pain and fatigue. I stayed on it till This month and have switched to aromasen. Now I have back pain which I'm not sure is from the meds. I've only been on it for 1 1/2 weeks so think it's quick for symptoms. I did have more and more discomfort from the Femara at about 3 mos. and it continued. I also had increased hot flashes and night sweats which I've now had for 6 years! YUK! All I can say is it's possible the meds have caused the pain but if it progresses, I would have a workup to R/O any other problems. Please keep us informed. HUGS!! Cathy

What kind of work up do you mean?
    Thx,
    KTJDsmom
  • cruf
    KTJDsmom said:

What kind of work up do you mean?
    Thx,
    KTJDsmom

Hi again! If the pain persists in your back, Have an Orthopedist evaluate you. That's their speciality. Can't hurt to R/O disc problems. Maybe you just twisted funny and don't remember doing it. I don't recall if you said you had an MRI? That might be an idea. Maybe some PT to help you relax and some exercises to strengthen the area. Just a few suggestions. Good luck! Feel better. HUGS!! Cathy
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    KTJDsmom said:

Hi,Kathi, I'm new to this site and not quite sure how things work! It's funny you mentioned having colon cx. My dad died of colon cx in 1984 at the age of 59. He ignored symptoms for months before getting checked out. Because of that, I've had 3 colonoscopies; last one in May,'06, month after I finished radiation. Everything's fine in that area. I've also had Type 1 diabetes for the past 14 yrs; and on an insulin pump. None of my docs think that has anything to do with the back pain.
    Thx, KTJDsmom

I'm so proud of you! I have only had 2 to date, the first finding the cancer, and the 2nd finding NED!!!!

Ask about Tamoxifen...maybe it will be better!

Hugs, Kathi
  • KTJDsmom
    cruf said:

Hi again! If the pain persists in your back, Have an Orthopedist evaluate you. That's their speciality. Can't hurt to R/O disc problems. Maybe you just twisted funny and don't remember doing it. I don't recall if you said you had an MRI? That might be an idea. Maybe some PT to help you relax and some exercises to strengthen the area. Just a few suggestions. Good luck! Feel better. HUGS!! Cathy

Thx Cathy! I have seen an ortho doc.; and had an MRI. Nothing much structurally wrong with me. Going to P.T. for the past 3 wks. Helps a little. Working on strengthening back & abs. Ortho said he couldn't really find anything wrong. I think back pain's got to be from meds. Today's a "bad back" day!
  • cruf
    KTJDsmom said:

Thx Cathy! I have seen an ortho doc.; and had an MRI. Nothing much structurally wrong with me. Going to P.T. for the past 3 wks. Helps a little. Working on strengthening back & abs. Ortho said he couldn't really find anything wrong. I think back pain's got to be from meds. Today's a "bad back" day!

I'm having more back pain today! Oh well! Feel better. HUGS!! Cathy