Has anyone tried Sutent?

Options
rbemail
rbemail Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My dad has stage IV colon cancer that has spread to his liver, lungs, spleen, etc. He has tried everything and nothing is working. He had some success with Oxyplatin, however the neuropathy in his hands and feet was devestating. It's been a year since he had his last treatment with Oxyplatin and he is just getting feeling back. Unfortunately, his markers keep going up, so the doctor wants to put him back on Oxyplatin. But this time he was thinking about mixing it with something called Sutent. Has anyone ever tried this combination? If so, how did it work?

Comments

• nanuk
    nanuk Member Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    There probably isn't anyone here who has tried it, unless they were in a trial..it's other name is Sunitnib, and it was just approved by the FDA last Thursday. It's a Targeted therapy-(Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitor)
    Here's one article on it:
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/06/060603091240.htm
    I googled it-(Dogpile) and came up with a lot of information. It's pretty new, but they have completed phase III trials.. Bud
  • Betsydoglover
    Betsydoglover Member Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    nanuk said:

There probably isn't anyone here who has tried it, unless they were in a trial..it's other name is Sunitnib, and it was just approved by the FDA last Thursday. It's a Targeted therapy-(Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitor)
    Here's one article on it:
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/06/060603091240.htm
    I googled it-(Dogpile) and came up with a lot of information. It's pretty new, but they have completed phase III trials.. Bud

Also, its approved indications are advanced renal cell carcinoma (kidney) and a rare form of stomach cancer. But, that doesn't mean it is isn't worth trying for CRC. Once approved for any indication, doctors can use it in other ways. Still, as Bud says, you won't find much info from folks, cuz it is way too new.

Take care,
    Betsy