Hello everyone

lovonna
lovonna Member Posts: 78
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Tomorrow I am scheduled for a skin grafting over this open wound that I have been nursing all week. I am finding myself very apprehensive about this, even more so than the mastectomy! The donar sight has me more concerned than the graft on my reconstructed breast.

Also am nervous about the docs wanting me take radiation. After all my problems with chemo, I am hedging on what to do. Since my cancer came to the surface of the skin is it possible that my radiation won't have to go too deep? I haven't been to a radiation oncologist yet.

Thanks for your prayers, LoVonna

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    LoVonna....just focus on the day after tomorrow...think of something special to do on THAT day....you WILL get thru it...you are strong and courageous.
    As far as radiation...it's a piece of cake compared to chemo...the side effects, with the exception of MILD fatigue, are all local....and there is this WONDERFUL burn creme called Silvadene that really works! Also, Aquaphor...your rad guy will know about both.
    I am 4 weeks out, and I have NO SIGNS of radiation left!!!!!!! Stay hydrated...baby your skin...
    Hugs, Kathi
  • LesleyH
    LesleyH Member Posts: 370
    LoVonna,

I don't know what the skin grafting will be like so can't offer any advice there. Though I do send lots of good thoughts. Where is the donor site?

I have had lots of rads though and know that it is something that I'm glad I did. I did react rather badly to the rads, but still managed to keep up with my regular life. Rads are so safe nowadays, I really don't think it's a big issue and may keep the beast away forever!

Hugs.

Lesley
  • Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    Good luck tomorrow on the skin graft. I am sure that all will go well and you will be relieved to be finished with it.

As for Radiation, I did 33 treatments with it... and after chemo it was a piece of cake... I got a little rash for a couple of weeks but other than that no obvious side effects.... I was surprised that it was so easy for me. I have really fair skin.

Take Care.. and God bless tomorrow...

Susan
  • LesleyH
    LesleyH Member Posts: 370
    I hope the skin graft went well, LoVonna. Please tell us all about it when you feel up to it. We are thinking of you.

Hugs.

Lesley