I stopped tamoxifen!!!

Options
jcbeenthere
jcbeenthere Member Posts: 19
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
On July 4th I declared my independence from Tamoxifen. I was at the stage of crying when I was in public and my shower of sweat started. I don't have a death wish but, I was told my chances of breast cancer would be the same as any other woman. I had a hysto at 38yrs old and so only took estrogen, not progesterane. My genetics test was negative despite my maternal grandmother and 1st cousins death from bc. I also take effexor, 75mg 4 daily. I have been through 3 cancers sonce 2001 and am not sure what good feels like, although cancer free. I have only told my onc that I stopped, against his wishes of course. Men can't seem to fathom just how awful(at least to my degree) them. He feels all othrs will do the same. The new medicine out is not new according to him. Just a "hype". I'll discuss ramifications next visit.

Hang in there as long as you can!!!!!!!!!!

thanks
jeanne

Comments

• LesleyH
    LesleyH Member Posts: 370
    Options
    Jeanne,

Please get a second opinion. There are many options if you can't to tamoxifen.

Hugs.

Lesley
  • Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    Options
    Jeanne,
    I was lucky enough to find a female Onc. She is absolutely great. She can understand so much better what they issues are like. You might look around locally and see if their is a female onc. Mine has been very sensitive to quality of life issues. By the way for me taking effexor was a disaster.. It wired me up like a top...

Please try to get a least one more opinion before you give up on Tamoxifen or an alternative.

But if not do Take Good Care of yourself...Because you definitely deserve a break...

Take care... God Bless...

Susan
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    jeanne,
    I just started my Tamoxifen ride on Monday...so thank you for sharing what I need to watch for!
    I, too, have a female onc...she is VERY sympathetic to my troubles...
    Hugs, kathi
  • littleladi
    littleladi Member Posts: 11
    Options
    I stopped, too, but that was beause it didn't work on me and my cancer came back after two years. I strongly agree with getting a female onc. I started with a male in my clinic setting and saw him once a year. That means I saw him twice in two years. I got referrals from the local support group and from friends. Checked out three by meeting them before deciding on which to go to and am glad of my decision. One onc doc said she would never have put me on Tamoxifen because it's so OLD!
    You hang in there, and do take charge of your body!
    Janine
  • lbinmsp
    lbinmsp Member Posts: 266
    Options
    Hey Jeanne. You don't mention what type / stage breast cancer (maybe in another posting - I'm new here). One year ago I was diagnosed with DCIS - Stage 0 (thank GOD)! Had lumpectomy and weeks of radiation. When the issue of Tamoxifen came up I started doing a lot of my own research and decided against it. According to the sites I found, it would improve my cancer free status by about 3%. I had a total hysterectomy at age 32 (I'm 59 now), was on Premarin all those years but taken off once the breast CA appeared. I was also put on Effexor 75. I have since been having serious sweating too but have no idea whether it's hot flashes (since the removal of my Premarin) or whether it's from the Effexor (this can cause abnormal sweating too). I'm also a kidney cancer survivor (5 years) but recently had mets to the lung surgically removed. Bottom line, I think that we're in charge of our bodies and we need to make our own decisions about what we do or don't do. My (female) doc is supportive of my decisions because she knows they're based on a lot of serious investigation on my part and also because she's a woman who respects my feelings.

God bless!