tamoxifen and hair

Options
carolt
carolt Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi! I know that this sounds rather shallow of me but I was wondering if it is ok to use hair coloring or a hair relaxer on my hair while using tamoxifen. I have been on it a year now and have noticed that my hair texture is changing and that it is super curly and very difficult to manage. I have relaxed my hair prior to my cancer and had good results. I called the info line on my tam. prescription but they were unable to help. Thanks for any help anyone might have.....carol

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Oh, Carol, wish I could help...just started my tamoxifen today...keep me posted, please?
    Hugs, Kathi
  • cruf
    cruf Member Posts: 908
    Options
    Hi Carol! I was on Tamoxifen for 5 years and had my hair colored every month. I also had a change in texture as well as some mild thinning. I was never told not to do it and didn't notice anything bad while doing it. Hope this helps. HUGS!! Cathy
  • LesleyH
    LesleyH Member Posts: 370
    Options
    Hi Carol,

I have exactly the same problem - to color or not to color. My hair came back gray and curly. I asked my onc and she said there was no problem, but I am just a little worried about it. I am looking for a salon that uses a non-ammonia product. I think that we should probably be a bit more careful than most.

Hugs.

Lesley
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    KathiM said:

Oh, Carol, wish I could help...just started my tamoxifen today...keep me posted, please?
    Hugs, Kathi

Carol,

Well, let me say 'duh'!. My mom has been on Tamoxifen for 4.5 years...has her hair done weekly...perms, color, etc...no problem. Doesn't color any more...beautiful silver color...she said she didn't have any trouble...she is 83 years young.
    Hugs, Kathi
  • carolt
    carolt Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi! Thank you all for your comments, they help and make me feel as though I can make a better decision knowing what others have experienced. I hope that all goes well for you all and thanks again!
  • katcam
    katcam Member Posts: 83
    Options
    i have been on tamoxifen for 1 1/2 years - i color and highlite my hair every month and did so even during my treatments with no problems. i have also noticed that my hair is curlier - it was always poker straight but now it has alot more wave to it.
  • ireneingeorgia
    ireneingeorgia Member Posts: 73
    Options
    Hi. The only thing I heard was not to color or perm till you've been able to cut your hair twice, I guess giving some new growth some time.
    Hope it helps.
    Love
    Ireneincordova