Encouragement please!

Options
lovonna
lovonna Member Posts: 78
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am just over ten weeks out from my last chemo treatment and STILL have very little to no taste on my tongue. Can taste around the edges-sweet things mostly. Am starting to get discouraged that this isn't going to improve.

Does the fatigue last forever? Still laying down to take a daily nap.

Thanks for your help.

God Bless
LoVonna

Comments

• LesleyH
    LesleyH Member Posts: 370
    Options
    LoVonna,

The only advice I can share is to have patience. YOU have been through a lot. YOur body takes about a year to recover. We are all different, but I have a constant sore throat and I am 5 months past rads. I don't think you should expect things to ever be quite the same, but I think after a year, you'll start to feel a lot better.

Hugs.

Lesley
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    LoVonna...
    Lesley is right, each person is different. The one thing that I PAINFULLY learned is that when my body is telling me to slow down, I do.
    Have you asked your oncologist about your symptoms? They sound very familiar to me (I have had 2 cancers in 19 months...so I pretty much ran the race....hehehehe).
    Do take care of your body...its the only one you have! I just took mine to a spa (as you may have read on my post). The other thing I STILL do is drink LOTS of water...at least 2 quarts a day...seems to make things run better.
    Don't give up, it DOES get better...just imagine you are recovering from Pnumonia, or a broken leg...patience is the key!
    Hugs, Kathi
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    KathiM said:

LoVonna...
    Lesley is right, each person is different. The one thing that I PAINFULLY learned is that when my body is telling me to slow down, I do.
    Have you asked your oncologist about your symptoms? They sound very familiar to me (I have had 2 cancers in 19 months...so I pretty much ran the race....hehehehe).
    Do take care of your body...its the only one you have! I just took mine to a spa (as you may have read on my post). The other thing I STILL do is drink LOTS of water...at least 2 quarts a day...seems to make things run better.
    Don't give up, it DOES get better...just imagine you are recovering from Pnumonia, or a broken leg...patience is the key!
    Hugs, Kathi

Oh, and see, chemo even affects your ability to SPELL (hehehehehehe).....pneumonia.
    hummmm...e before u except after pooo....
    Hugs, Kathi
  • lovonna
    Options
    Thanks you two. This no taste sensation is VERY aggravating. I have never had so much hard candy in all my life and chewed so much gum. Just feel like there is a nasty taste in my mouth at all times. My fear is that I will never regain my taste buds.
  • Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    Options
    LoVonna,

Things will get better. I finished chemo in November and finished radiation in February. I have regained most of my energy back and I can taste food again. It is not to say that I don't still have days and weeks when I am tired...and when I am I have learned that I just have to slow down and rest.... but life gets better each and every day.... So try to have patience and you will regain your energy.

Take Care... God Bless..

Susan
  • Linda0908
    Linda0908 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    LoVonna
    Last month June was 2 years post b/c diagnosis.
    I did surgery, chemo and radiation and had very little taste and felt like I was sucking on a tin can. It does get better. As far as the fatigue it does get better. I do not have the same strength as I did before diagnosis and often will take a nap. I look at it this way, rather would have to take a nap then be 6 feet under. It used to upset me that I would need a nap and I have finally decided that my body went through a hellish treatment and maybe it just needs a nap.
    I used to love to eat apple sauce with cinnamin, that I could taste or lemon sherbert.
    I wish you wonderful naps and they will be less frequent as time goes on.
    Best
    Linda
  • vac
    vac Member Posts: 97
    Options
    i lost my taste buds through out chemo everyting taste like paste. i was able to eat spicy food not all the time and i would drink boost for breakfast. but i did drop 50 lbs which i needed too. about 3 months after my chemo my taste buds came back. then i had a stem cel transplant and lost them again. that was 3 yrs ago and my taste buds are back!!!! be patient you will get them back and food taste so much better and of cource i gain back the 50lbs which sucks!!!but i have been cancer free for almost 4 yrs!!!
  • lovonna
    Options
    Thanks to all of you, I love this board! To think I stumbled upon it by accident.
  • ebhls
    ebhls Member Posts: 1
    Options
    dear lovonna,
    congratulations, you are done and this is great!. let your doctors and nurse know that you still have problems, and hang in there, you've been thru the worst. Fatigue does not last forever, I don't know what type of therapy you had, but I had ac + 8 weeks of radiation, and was out of breath for almost everything for a few months. doing laundry was a huge thing and accomplishment (i laugh now), but things do get back to normal. try excercising a little, whether treadmill or just a trip to the mailbox. More important is your nutrition, make sure you are eating right, and don't get discouraged, you beat this thing to the curve and that in itself is fantastic. god bless