Is Side / Flank Pain 4 Months Post-Op Normal?

KCFighter
KCFighter Member Posts: 50
edited March 2014 in Kidney Cancer #1
July 2nd will be 4 months since I had a laparoscopic nephrectomy surgery to remove my right kidney. I've been recovering well but have been noticing that the same side pain I had gone into the doctor complaining about before they diagnosed me has returned (text books call the side pain "flank pain"). It's a dull ache on my right back side, just above the wasteline.

I am worried there is a recurrent tumor developing internally at the site where my kidney used to be. However, I'm hoping it is just a normal part of healing. I was thinking maybe has the scar tissue is forming it is causing this pain. Has anyone else experienced this?

Comments

• lbinmsp
    lbinmsp Member Posts: 266
    Call your doctor. It could be that you have a back injury with related sciatic nerve pain (I had that pre-surgery and then of course it returned post-surgery due to recovery time of less activity than normal. Also, go online and investigate. Best bet, though, is call your doctor. Regardless of what it may or may not be, don't mess around.
  • lbinmsp
    Me again - been thinking about you and wondering how things are going. Have you been back to your doctor(s)? Am hoping the pain wasn't anything major.
  • KCFighter
    KCFighter Member Posts: 50
    lbinmsp said:

Me again - been thinking about you and wondering how things are going. Have you been back to your doctor(s)? Am hoping the pain wasn't anything major.

My 6 month follow-up is in 2 weeks & I am anxious to get it done! The side pain seems to have subsided & was probably related to normal healing. I talked with the doc & what he predicted there has been the case.

I see I didn't mention that I've also had pain in the middle of my back right under the spin (right at the bra strap level). My worry is lung mets of course but I'm hoping it is nothing serious. Never had back problems in my life. The pain is so dull, you would disregard...if you weren't worried about a recurrence. My side pain pre-diagnosis could've easily been dismissed & was by many docs. But it wouldn't go away so I kept trying new docs until one found it. I am thankful I listened to my body instead of those first few doctors.
  • lbinmsp
    KCFighter said:

My 6 month follow-up is in 2 weeks & I am anxious to get it done! The side pain seems to have subsided & was probably related to normal healing. I talked with the doc & what he predicted there has been the case.

I see I didn't mention that I've also had pain in the middle of my back right under the spin (right at the bra strap level). My worry is lung mets of course but I'm hoping it is nothing serious. Never had back problems in my life. The pain is so dull, you would disregard...if you weren't worried about a recurrence. My side pain pre-diagnosis could've easily been dismissed & was by many docs. But it wouldn't go away so I kept trying new docs until one found it. I am thankful I listened to my body instead of those first few doctors.

Glad to hear that the pain is subsiding. Will pray that your upcoming checkup is 'all clear'.
    Just had my 6 month postop for the lobectomy and it was clear. WHEW! They're following me now every 3 months for a while. As all of us who have RCC know, once it leaves the kidney it's anybody's guess - so I'm glad my docs are being aggressive in their followup.

Take care! And God Bless!