Prosthetics?

Options
jdubious
jdubious Member Posts: 113
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My 2 year anniversary is coming up and I'm starting to realize that I'm not at all happy with the prosthetic I'm using. My long term goal is to have reconstruction, but for the time being I'm using a form. I had a full left mastectomy, and where I have an issue is with the space between the pocket of the bra and my chest. There's nothing but air there, so if a top is tight or fitted, the form is pressed in and then I look uneven. Are there forms/bras that work better for this issue? I'm using a triangle shape that is longer under the arm, and is the correct size for my bra size, it fills the cup of the bra, but it doesn't fill in for the missing area of chest and underarm. What forms are you using?
thanks!
jill

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Hi jdubious.
    I lost my right breast in '86 and my left one in '88 and have had no reconstruction. Believe me, I have tried EVERYTHING over the last 20 years.
    The best solution I have found for the problem you mention is shoulder pads. YUP Shoulder pads. Remove them from a dress and insert them (one or two until you fill that 'air space') into the cover of your prosthesis or the bra pocket. They are held securely in place, they are soft and comfortable, and since they are behind your breast form, not even your hair-dresser will know for sure! HaHa! Couldn't resist that one.
    God bless, hun, and I hope your reconstruction is a breeze for you when you get to have it.
  • jdubious
    jdubious Member Posts: 113
    Options
    unknown said:

Hi jdubious.
    I lost my right breast in '86 and my left one in '88 and have had no reconstruction. Believe me, I have tried EVERYTHING over the last 20 years.
    The best solution I have found for the problem you mention is shoulder pads. YUP Shoulder pads. Remove them from a dress and insert them (one or two until you fill that 'air space') into the cover of your prosthesis or the bra pocket. They are held securely in place, they are soft and comfortable, and since they are behind your breast form, not even your hair-dresser will know for sure! HaHa! Couldn't resist that one.
    God bless, hun, and I hope your reconstruction is a breeze for you when you get to have it.

Thanks for the idea! I knew shoulder pads had to be good for something. I'm also glad to hear that it's not just me. Shoulder pads here I come!
    jill
  • Future
    Future Member Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You might want to consider seeing a fitter in the lingerie dept at one of the better department stores. I had problems during my reconstruction so I have what I describe as "fraternal twins" not "identical". They were able to recommend some pads that I use when I wear body forming tops, etc. The nice thing is that the pads are same ones used by the "average/normal" woman so there isn't the additional expense you sometimes see with items that are "specially designed for breast cancer" survivors.

Mary