Pancreatic Cancer Survivors

Options
15678911»

Comments

• StageIVSurvivor
    StageIVSurvivor Member Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Chemo was clearly my best shot after having a Whipple performed and measurable metastatic disease less than 5 months later. After a change in the chemo regimen of Folfirinox administered over 22 months and a clinical trial, I achieved NED status in 2016 and remain that way.

With pancreatic cancer being one of the toughest to treat, it is important to seek treatment at a large medical facility-preferably one with a pancreas center using a multidisciplinary team approach. Both of the institutions where I received treatment required travel which was worth the investment in cost and time. The care I received going to large, academically affiliated medical institutions with oncologists specializing in pancreatic cancer and familiarity with clinical trials contributed to my 9.5 year overall survival and NED of over 5.5 years.

• LouC
    LouC Member Posts: 10 Member
    Options

I was diagnosed with PDAC Feb 2021. I am not a whipple candidate due to ductal tumor. HAD mets to liver however been doing folfirinox almost a year now and happy to say I remain mets free and pc tumor is grossly stable. Treatment and side effects are manageable albeit gross/disturbing/annoying. I was initially told I had 3-5 month survival without whipple... and look at us now. Life IS good. Wishing everyone health & happiness. 🙏

• StageIVSurvivor
    StageIVSurvivor Member Posts: 19 Member
    Options

An update on longest Whipple procedure survivors for pancreatic cancer:

As of this post (5/7/23), Kay Kay’s is a 29 year survivor who went on to have a total pancreatacoduodenectomy and has surpassed 29 years. Her story is featured on SeenaMagowitzFoundation.org web site. I have reached 11 years becoming NED in 2014 and in 2022 was told by a number of oncologists I am considered cured.

• Fryed2aCrisp
    Fryed2aCrisp Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Mine is there, also. One chemo treatment dine, and feeling great. Ampullary cancer- just wondering if it is worth all the upcoming grief….whipple procedure and all.

• geepster
    geepster Member Posts: 1 *
    Options

Newly diagnosed woman here! There does not seem to be much current conversation. My cancer is on the tail of pancreas, and was found when I was hospitalized with unrelated anemia and internal bleeding. PET scan lit up a mixed tumor on pancreas tail and also a dot on my thyroid. I have had no pancreatic or thyroid symptoms. Sure wouldn't mind hearing from other patients at any stage of this process!