A REAL BIG Independence day for me...

Options
KathiM
KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
June 27 will be my LAST radiation treatment. SOOOO the 4th of July is going to be HUGE...my first independence day after vanquishing the beast!!!!! It's hard to believe that it was 19 months and 2 cancers ago that I started this journey. I have met so many wonderful people, you all here included, that I will count as friends for the rest of my life!
I certainly LOOK different now....battle scars on my belly and my breast, a whole new hair style...(btw, it's now to summer cut length, instead of chemo length...hehehehe), and even a blue 'pool' on my breast from the node dye.
But as I look in the mirror, I see even more changes...a bigger smile, a look of gratitude for the little things...joy for just being given another day to breathe in and out!
ok, before I short my computer out from the 'leaking' my eyes are doing, I'll stop...But, I just wanted to say 'Thank you' to all of you!
Hugs, kathi

Comments

• Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    Options
    Horray for you. I know I finished my radiation the Day before Valentines Day and I don't think my feet touched the ground for weeks. I do believe that after we have battled the beast we do look at life differently... So glad that you now have a summer cut... Mine is that way too... So nice not to have to worry about burning my head or my ears.... Well that may be pushing it.... I think about 1/10 of my ears are covered...

Pitch yourself one wonderful party on the 4th... You definetly derserve it.

Take Care... God Bless....

Susan
  • LesleyH
    LesleyH Member Posts: 370
    Options
    Hooray for you.

I am so grateful to you for sharing your humor and courage with us as you have made this long journey. Now, my eyes are leaking. Darn. It must be catching...

Great BIG hugs.

Lesley

PS I think we should arrange to meet somewhere, sometime.
  • KathiM
    Options
    LesleyH said:

Hooray for you.

I am so grateful to you for sharing your humor and courage with us as you have made this long journey. Now, my eyes are leaking. Darn. It must be catching...

Great BIG hugs.

Lesley

PS I think we should arrange to meet somewhere, sometime.

I agree...you are such a knowledge base and a great poster! I would love to get together...
    Hugs, Kathi
  • KathiM
    Options
    Susan956 said:

Horray for you. I know I finished my radiation the Day before Valentines Day and I don't think my feet touched the ground for weeks. I do believe that after we have battled the beast we do look at life differently... So glad that you now have a summer cut... Mine is that way too... So nice not to have to worry about burning my head or my ears.... Well that may be pushing it.... I think about 1/10 of my ears are covered...

Pitch yourself one wonderful party on the 4th... You definetly derserve it.

Take Care... God Bless....

Susan

Aw, Susan, thank you....Whew! What a journey!
    I burned my head one time 2 days before seeing my onc...she said "What part of SUNSCREEN did you NOT understand????"
    My new main pic on my page shows my new 'hair' such as it is...
    Hugs, kathi
  • TereB
    TereB Member Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I am very happy for you Kathi!! I've known you only a short time but you help all of us find hope and not be so scared. Celebrate big!!
    All the best,
    Tere
  • KathiM
    Options
    TereB said:

I am very happy for you Kathi!! I've known you only a short time but you help all of us find hope and not be so scared. Celebrate big!!
    All the best,
    Tere

Thanks, Tere...
    A friend of mine who is a 2-time breast cancer survivor, in a short amount of time, said it best:
    "I have had some good things along this journey, but I'm ready to stop traveling"
    I might add "and unpack my bags"
    Here's to your successful bag unpacking!
    Hugs, kathi
  • katcam
    katcam Member Posts: 83
    Options
    HOORAY for you!! i'm soo happy for you - it truly will be independence day for you!! you're such an inspiration to all here - have a HUGE celebration!! God bless you (oh boy, now I"M tearing) :-)
  • KathiM
    Options
    katcam said:

HOORAY for you!! i'm soo happy for you - it truly will be independence day for you!! you're such an inspiration to all here - have a HUGE celebration!! God bless you (oh boy, now I"M tearing) :-)

Thank you, my dear...
    It's been a long time...I'm ready for a rest...just to sit an NOT have to go see a doctor, get a scan, get an injection...unlike some, I will NOT miss this part at all...
    AND, I will still have all my family HERE!!!! YEA!!!!
    Hugs, Kathi