Quitting Arimidex

totsie
totsie Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am new to this forum. My question is: has anyone who is or has taken arimidex, ever stopped taking it because of the harsh side effects it has on your body? I have been on it for 2 years now following chemo and radiation. I am wondering if anyone has stopped taking it and have you regretted it? thanks..

Comments

• cathdavis
    cathdavis Member Posts: 42
    I have been on arimidex 4 yrs. Although I suffer horrible hot flashes, joint pain etc the alternative to me is worse. I think you should discuss this with your MD. There are other aromatise inhibitors you can take instead that may not give you such bad side effects.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    cathdavis said:

I have been on arimidex 4 yrs. Although I suffer horrible hot flashes, joint pain etc the alternative to me is worse. I think you should discuss this with your MD. There are other aromatise inhibitors you can take instead that may not give you such bad side effects.

I agree. Talk to your onc. I won't start arimidex, even tho I am post menopausal, because I am osteoporotic. I will take Tamoxifen for the first year, build up my bones with Actonel, and then switch.
    Hugs, Kathi
  • I took tamoxifin for 7 years after two breast cancers and then was put on arimidex after third diagnosis. I quit arimidex after about six months because of the side effects. That was 7 years ago. There are no guarantees but my quality of life without arimidex has been much better the past 7 years than it was while I was on either of those drugs. If the disease returns at least I will have had these years of feeling like a normal person.
  • roxanne53
    roxanne53 Member Posts: 154
    I am on Arimidex for about 2 years now. My alternative is to switch only if I can't tolerate the side effects. My options are somewhat slimmer than others because at this time, it is the best drug for me. My oncologist is reluctant to switch me unless we both agree and the side effects are highly intolerable. The other drug I would end up with would have similar side effects. Since my body is sensitive to medications, the change would more than likely not change anything for me.
    I do monitor the side effects (SE) so that I do know where I am at with this. I have other meds that can contribute to these SE's. So for now I stick with what I have going on now. Good Idea to talk with your oncologist about this!!!!
    Take care
    Roxanne53
  • Katzy
    Katzy Member Posts: 3
    I was on arimidex for about 6 months, the knee pain was so great I had to switch. Then I started on aromasin and I'm still having foot pain. So the oncologist told me to stop the aromasin. It's only been 1 week, but I still have the ankle and foot pain like crazy causing me to have problems walking. Now I am wondering if the Actonel is my problem and not the aromasin. I would rather be on an aromatase inhibitor than the bone rebuilder, although I know I need it since I am osteopenic, but I need the cancer prevention more. Also, I wonder if some pain is just the result of the cancer and chemo. Anyway, I'd say stay on whatever is best for you with the least side effects. It make take some trial and error to find out what is working, especially if you are on other meds that might cause the same or similar side effects. And good luck to you.
  • roxanne53
    roxanne53 Member Posts: 154
    Katzy said:

I was on arimidex for about 6 months, the knee pain was so great I had to switch. Then I started on aromasin and I'm still having foot pain. So the oncologist told me to stop the aromasin. It's only been 1 week, but I still have the ankle and foot pain like crazy causing me to have problems walking. Now I am wondering if the Actonel is my problem and not the aromasin. I would rather be on an aromatase inhibitor than the bone rebuilder, although I know I need it since I am osteopenic, but I need the cancer prevention more. Also, I wonder if some pain is just the result of the cancer and chemo. Anyway, I'd say stay on whatever is best for you with the least side effects. It make take some trial and error to find out what is working, especially if you are on other meds that might cause the same or similar side effects. And good luck to you.

Hello~
    I am also osteopenic and on Fosomax for this.Got this perscribed by the oncologist after he conducted a bone density test.
    I have been thinking seriously about going back to Internist and getting rid of the Effexor for the hot flashes. Has anyone gone off the Effexor for hot flashes? I am sure the hot flashes will be there as they are there anyway.
    Roxanne