Worry

Options
lileva
lileva Member Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am a 1 1/2 year survivor of Inflamatory breast cancer. I have been reading the postings here since I was diagnosed but have rarely participated in the discussion. The postings have really helped me through all of this. I was diagnosed in Oct. 2004, had 4 rounds of taxotere/adriamycin/cytoxin, then a left radical mastectomy, then 6 more months of taxotere/herceptin/carboplatin. I then had 30 raditation treatments. I am currently still getting heceptin every 3 weeks (this is my second year of herceptin) and am on tamoxifen.
I had TRAMM flap reconstruction to my left breast in Jan. 06, and then nipple reconstruction on the Left and a reduction on the right the first week of May. My concern has been a persistent redness on the lower side of my existing breast (the one that was reduced)and dimpling of the area (these are the same symptoms I presented with on the Left). Went to my onc. on Monday and he sent me to surgeon today and had a biopsy. Won't know results until next week. I am just wondering (those of you that are long term survivors), do you ever stop worrying and fretting about it coming back?

Comments

• LesleyH
    LesleyH Member Posts: 370
    Options
    Recurrence is a constant worry for most of us. I know it is for me and I haven't been through as much as you. I have just had my check-up with my onc - 4 months past treatment and 14 months past diagnosis. I also had redness and swelling on the breast that had the lumpectomy. The radiation oncologist thougt it was due to the radiation. I also saw a dermatologist and he agreed that it was due to the radiation. He prescribed a cream and the redness/rash has almost gone. I hope it is not serious for you too. I wasted so much time worrying about it.

Best of luck. Do something fun today.

Hugs.

Lesley
  • Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    Options
    Sending good thoughts your way. Hope all of your results will be good.

God Bless.

Susan
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Hugs, my dear, for all of your struggles!
    I am still a 'work in progress' with my breast cancer, but am 1 1/2 year on colon cancer. So I don't fit the 'long term' survivor yet.
    BUT I have talked to many 10+ year survivors....the answer is a qualified no, you don't stop. BUT the qualified is...you don't let it run or ruin your life. Enjoy it to the fullest, just being watchful of things that change. One of the blessings of this experience is that we survivors are very sensitive to changes in our bodies (your reaction to your breast dimpling is an example), so if there is trouble, we are more likely to catch it earlier than others...
    BUT (lots of those, must be partly because of my colon cancer...focus there..hehehehehe) the overall message from these survivors IS: Live life, enjoy...
    Hugs, Kathi
  • katcam
    katcam Member Posts: 83
    Options
    i was diag with bc in 1990 and there were many times that i felt like the cancer was so far in the past, but every year when i went for the mammo, it was like it was just the day before. i never lost the fear of re-occurance totally. any time i have a strange tinge, pain or if i just don't feel well for a few days, i instantly think the worst. mine did come back in 2004 - oct just like you - but it was caught very early and i had the lumpectomy and 6 weeks of radiation. i am now on tamoxifen for the next 5 years. i have the fear again, but knowing that there are others with the same worries actually makes me feel better. i always thought it was just me until i joined this site. i hope everything turns out great for you - it's hard not to worry, but try not to & ENJOY LIFE!! we are all rooting for you!! :-)
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Some of us have found lumps ourselves and told not to worry just a fibrous cyst or keep an eye on it. I have had a hard time trusting the medical community after my fears were ignored, only to be so very ill just 6 months later and then told that yes the first lump was malignant and 11 out of 21 positive nodes. Hmmm what happened to early diagnosis when I the lump had been found.
    I have another lump that I am learning to live with and know this... I look back and can see how lived my life prior to cancer wasn't working hence the stage 3 breast cancer. After surviving all my treatments I decided that worry only makes you sick, since I had worried my whole life about getting cancer and worried for years about my angry teen. I knew well what worry did and refused to spend the rest of my life doing the same. It isn't easy sometimes to wait and see if the pain will actually go away. After spending many years racked with pain and finally life after that I can only be my best advocate and listen to my body that I truly already know.