Dental Problems and Arimidex?

Options
jdubious
jdubious Member Posts: 113
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi,
I've been taking arimidex for close to a year, and it seems like all of a sudden (last couple of months) I'm having lots of dental problems - broken tooth, lost a filling, cracked a tooth, now I'm having pain when chewing - who knows what else they'll find. Is there any relationship with the bone loss from arimidex and teeth? I'm taking actonel for bones, but it would be nice to know if I need to pay extra attention to teeth too! I didn't see much when I googled - hope you have wisdom to share!
jill

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Awwww, darn it, Jill...this too? It DOES make sense...I switched oncs, and the new one took one look at my dexa scan (-2.7) and said...at least the first year you will be on Tamoxifen..until we get your bone density up...
    But not about teeth, I'll ask...
    But, I do know that as we women age, our teeth get worse...so it could be from dwindling estrogen...and of course arimidex knocks out estrogen...
    sigh, random thoughts, too many periods here... (oh wait, I had a hyster..can't be a period...heheheheehe)
    *hangs head* I will STOP NOW!
    Hugs, Kathi
  • Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    Options
    I have been taking Arimidex for about 6 months, have not seen any dental issues yet. I am orthopenic but mild and doc has not put me on anything like fosomax yet. Next dexascan in a couple of months.

Let me know what you guys find out so I can be on the lookout if it is likely a future problem.

Thanks.
  • pansylover
    pansylover Member Posts: 80
    Options
    I never thought for Arimidex to affect my mouth/teeth and sorts. I bet that is a reason why I am having difficulties with mine. ENQUIRING minds...Thanks for the attention I'm gonna check it out also!
    (to funny Kathi :) love your humour)
  • cathdavis
    cathdavis Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Hi--I've been on arimidex for 4 yrs and have not had any unusual dental problems...at least so far! My biggest problems are the hot flashes which are horrendous and nothing much helps.
    Cathy
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    KathiM said:

Awwww, darn it, Jill...this too? It DOES make sense...I switched oncs, and the new one took one look at my dexa scan (-2.7) and said...at least the first year you will be on Tamoxifen..until we get your bone density up...
    But not about teeth, I'll ask...
    But, I do know that as we women age, our teeth get worse...so it could be from dwindling estrogen...and of course arimidex knocks out estrogen...
    sigh, random thoughts, too many periods here... (oh wait, I had a hyster..can't be a period...heheheheehe)
    *hangs head* I will STOP NOW!
    Hugs, Kathi

I asked my radio/oncologist today, who said he was not aware of this with arimidex...BUT, knowing him, he will check it out and tell me next Wednesday at my appointment...
    He DID say there was a chemo for bone mets that cause teeth troubles...
    Hugs, Kathi
  • Strider
    Strider Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Arimidex causing my teeth to fall apart?
    I am a little freaked out. Last week a little part of a filling fell out. I thought, Oh well it must be old because it is one of the amalgamate metal ones. I had a busy week and didn't go in to get it fixed. Tonight I was eating dinner and the whole leading edge of a different one of my teeth fell away as I chewed! This was really crazy and I don't know what's going on, but it seems suddenly now I have serious tooth problems. I have alway thought teeth were so strong. I have been on Arimidex for almost a year. I think it effects my ability to sleep as well...but this is theory. I was having sleep problems from Lyme disease which was under control before the Breast Cancer DX. Now that cancer treatment is complete, the Lyme symptoms are acting up again, so maybe it is the Lyme keeping me without sleep. I am such a mess. Ever wonder if it's just simply time to go? I will be sixty soon. I Hope I don't check out loosing one or two parts at a time.
  • eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    Dental problems
    Hi, I was right in the middle of major dental work when diagnosed with BC. My dentist (not ONC) is the one who was very knowledgable of dental issues concerning various cancer meds. I had already had chemo/rad earlier for Anal Cancer which weakened my bones/teeth and am now on Arimidex and Fosamex for BC. My dentist said unless there were to be something like a serious accident she would not be able to pull any teeth now due to to weakened bones that could break and not heal properly in my jaw. She said to pay extra attention to oral hygiene using rinses, flosses, ect. She said it is very common to have increased problems due to a combination of age, chemo, AE's (Arimidex) and Fosamex and other meds that contribute to bone loss. She said dental procedures can still be done like cleaning, filling, root canals and most others, but most dentists try to avoid pulling any teeth. So please, if having issues go see a dentist before it gets worse....I know no one likes to go, but now more important than ever. After having my teeth recently cleaned she gave me an extra floride treatment that I had not had before to help strengthen the enamel, it was like a varnish for my teeth, felt weird but apparently helps. I am very lucky to have insurance that covers most of my dental work, but if not, many areas offer reduced price dental work from students in local dental schools/programs. Worth checking out at least. I do think you will get more answers from a dentist though, than a family doc or Onc on this one. As always, all in my prayers.