naturopathic doctor ?

goldfinch
goldfinch Member Posts: 735
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Well, I went for my first visit yesterday. Although she asked me a lot of questions about my diet she really gave no suggestions about it other than to make sure I get enough protein. She has given me some supplements, some to take all week, some to take only 4 days after chemo. They include glutamine (supposed to support liver, GI and immune system-liver still stressed from oxali), butyren (supposed to help liver, side effect is constipation which might be helpful during chemo diarrhea effects), stress tabs-extra vit b, and omega 3-omega 6 complex. Oh yeah, and a hot castor oil compress-supposed to help liver. Anyone ever tried any of these? At this point I'm inclined to try them, since just going the chemo route hasn't worked. Unless the onc can prove to me they will harm me I figure it's worth a try. What do you guys think? She did say we could talk more about diet further down the road.
Mary

Comments

• rthornton
    rthornton Member Posts: 346 Member
    I only once consulted a naturopathic doctor, and he suggested that I use L-glutamine to help rebuild tissue along my digestive track that was damaged by chemotherapy drugs, and also Omega 3-6-9 for the same purpose. I never heard of Butyren or a hot oil compress, so I'd be interested to know how that works for you. I don't know if the supplements that I used helped or not. It's really difficult to say at this point.

Good luck and best wishes.
  • markatger
    markatger Member Posts: 314
    Hi Mary,

I was also prescribed glutamine for healing of the digestive tract and also that it might help with neuropathy. I also take green tea extract, mushroom extract, quercitin, curcumin, boswelia, vitamin D, calcium, high-potency multi-vitamin, cod liver oil, and melatonin. LOL...I'm a pill popper. This is all prescribed by my naturpath from Seattle Cancer treatment and Wellness Center.

I have had lots of problems and worries about taking supplements. I didn't take them while on treatment but that was my comfort level and many will dispute that. Some believe that supplements enhance chemo not interfere with it.

Scouty has a great story of quitting chemo after it stopped working. She then completely changed her diet, began juicing and supplements and saw her tumors in her liver and lungs go away. Hopefully she'll respond as well.

I'd love to hear what supplements everyone is taking.

Best wishes,
    Maria
  • markatger
    markatger Member Posts: 314
    rthornton said:

I only once consulted a naturopathic doctor, and he suggested that I use L-glutamine to help rebuild tissue along my digestive track that was damaged by chemotherapy drugs, and also Omega 3-6-9 for the same purpose. I never heard of Butyren or a hot oil compress, so I'd be interested to know how that works for you. I don't know if the supplements that I used helped or not. It's really difficult to say at this point.

Good luck and best wishes.

Rodney!

Are you back from Croatia?
  • goldfinch
    I was going to wait until I was done with treatment and then follow Emily's lead (she's one of my heroes!) and get on the health food bandwagon since there's so few studies about chemo and supplements, however it's beginning to look like i'll never get off of it, so I decided to explore the options I have now. I'm going to give these supplements a try and improve my diet some more-vegies, fruits, whole grains, less red meat (though I really eat little of the red meat now), little refined sugar and flour. Not going the juicing route yet. It really doesn't mix well with chemo for me. Onc just asks that I try to avoid the supplements the day, before, the day of and the day after chemo.
    Glad to hear you guys have heard of some of these. Plus while I was in the onc office there was an article in Women and Cancer Medicine that mentioned the butyren as possibly being effective. Worth a shot!
    Thanks!
    Mary
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
    Hi Mary,

You go for it girlfriend. I read up a little on each as I had time and they all make perfect sense to me to help you sustain and rebuild between chemo treatments. Maria is a sweetie for mentioning my name and the supplements for after treatment versus during treatment. I agree they are as different as night and day. I only did a few supplements while on chemo, so can't really comment on the ones you are doing. From what I have read, you are helping yourself by taking them!!!!!! Go Girl!!!!!!! I would be willing to bet your oncologist can't even spell the supplements, much less know what they may or may not do. I don't mean that as a insult to him/her, he/she just wasn't educated on them. They know less then you and I at this point but hopefully that will change over time.

I was lucky that my oncologist was honest and admitted he had no clue what I was doing, but he then would discuss my supplements with the oncology pharmacist. I so look forward to the medicine of 2010 when we have a group of "wellness/healing experts" sit around a table and address each of our medical needs on an individual basis.
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    hi mary,

I did everything you did except the glutamine.

The compresses are good for drawing out toxins and was told to do that from a couple of people (herbalist and a chiro/acupuncturist).

Interesting that she didn't do diet right away. I had 90 minutes for my first visit and we covered a lot of ground.

I think it sounds good but I was taking a whole lot more:

Mega Vit C
    Melatonin
    Folic Acid
    Calcium
    Alpha Lipoic acid
    CoQ10

and more that I can't remember at the moment.

peace, emily
  • goldfinch
    scouty said:

Hi Mary,

You go for it girlfriend. I read up a little on each as I had time and they all make perfect sense to me to help you sustain and rebuild between chemo treatments. Maria is a sweetie for mentioning my name and the supplements for after treatment versus during treatment. I agree they are as different as night and day. I only did a few supplements while on chemo, so can't really comment on the ones you are doing. From what I have read, you are helping yourself by taking them!!!!!! Go Girl!!!!!!! I would be willing to bet your oncologist can't even spell the supplements, much less know what they may or may not do. I don't mean that as a insult to him/her, he/she just wasn't educated on them. They know less then you and I at this point but hopefully that will change over time.

I was lucky that my oncologist was honest and admitted he had no clue what I was doing, but he then would discuss my supplements with the oncology pharmacist. I so look forward to the medicine of 2010 when we have a group of "wellness/healing experts" sit around a table and address each of our medical needs on an individual basis.

Amen!! I look forward to that too!
  • goldfinch
    2bhealed said:

hi mary,

I did everything you did except the glutamine.

The compresses are good for drawing out toxins and was told to do that from a couple of people (herbalist and a chiro/acupuncturist).

Interesting that she didn't do diet right away. I had 90 minutes for my first visit and we covered a lot of ground.

I think it sounds good but I was taking a whole lot more:

Mega Vit C
    Melatonin
    Folic Acid
    Calcium
    Alpha Lipoic acid
    CoQ10

and more that I can't remember at the moment.

peace, emily

Thank you Emily,
    My appt was close to an hour and a half also. Still confused that so little was mentioned about diet, but I will pursue it later (have to save my pennies again for another visit).

I think she gave me a limited amt of supplements right now because she wasn't familiar with Erbitux or Camptosar (i chose someone who listed cancer as a specialty, but I'm thinking she doesn't deal with colorectal cancer too often if she doesn't know these 2 drugs). She did recommend 2000 mg Vit c too.

Thanks again!
    Mary
  • 2bhealed
    goldfinch said:

I was going to wait until I was done with treatment and then follow Emily's lead (she's one of my heroes!) and get on the health food bandwagon since there's so few studies about chemo and supplements, however it's beginning to look like i'll never get off of it, so I decided to explore the options I have now. I'm going to give these supplements a try and improve my diet some more-vegies, fruits, whole grains, less red meat (though I really eat little of the red meat now), little refined sugar and flour. Not going the juicing route yet. It really doesn't mix well with chemo for me. Onc just asks that I try to avoid the supplements the day, before, the day of and the day after chemo.
    Glad to hear you guys have heard of some of these. Plus while I was in the onc office there was an article in Women and Cancer Medicine that mentioned the butyren as possibly being effective. Worth a shot!
    Thanks!
    Mary

****blush*****

I didn't see this post when I posted mine....

peace, emily who is humbly your servant in health and healing
  • 2bhealed
    goldfinch said:

Thank you Emily,
    My appt was close to an hour and a half also. Still confused that so little was mentioned about diet, but I will pursue it later (have to save my pennies again for another visit).

I think she gave me a limited amt of supplements right now because she wasn't familiar with Erbitux or Camptosar (i chose someone who listed cancer as a specialty, but I'm thinking she doesn't deal with colorectal cancer too often if she doesn't know these 2 drugs). She did recommend 2000 mg Vit c too.

Thanks again!
    Mary

hi mary,

I can send you my list of supps that I took if you send me your address. I'd attach it but I have a Mac and often doesn't translate for folks. Otherwise I can snail mail if you'd like to compare notes.

peace, emily
  • Betsydoglover
    Betsydoglover Member Posts: 1,248 Member
    markatger said:

Rodney!

Are you back from Croatia?

I'm sure not - he's just whiling away the time in some internet cafe looking at cute girls!

Betsy