THIS WEEKEND

Options
spongebob
spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hey, everyone -

During this weekend, which is officially the "start" of summer, please do me - and yourself - a favor as you grill burgers, play in the pool, attend a ballgame, visit with friends, knock back a beer, lounge on the beach or whatever...

At 3:00 pm EST on Monday - Memorial Day in the US, please join me in a nationwide moment of remembrance for our men and women in uniform - and in civilian clothes as well - who have paid the ultimate price for the freedom we enjoy every day in this country. And let's also remember our comrades in allied countries, like Australia, Canada, the UK, who have fought beside us, bled with us, and given their last full measure, too.

God bless the memories of each and every one of them. They are the real heros and patriots who make our countries great.

Thanks...

- SpongeBob

Comments

• debralla
    debralla Member Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Thank you SpongeBob.
    This is a tough Holiday for a lot of people . I remember my Stepfather(meanest,roughest,cowboy)looked just like the marlboro man. Who raised me since I was 7 . Fought in the Korean War and did two tours in Vietnam. Memorial Day was always so tough on him .He never spoke much about his time in the service and being so young I never understood why he would be in tears on this day . But I do now !!!
    I live on the Fort Sam Houston Army Base here in San Antonio .. The Grave yard is right up the street from me, kind of looks like a mini Arlington National . The Senoir Vets have placed a small flag by every tomb stone .Its hard not to shed a few each time we pass.

My Heart ,Thoughts and Prayers go out to all of our Troops and our Allied Countries.
    Thanks Again Bob
    FORTES,FORTUNA,JUVAT(fortune favors the brave)
    Debra
  • Unknown
    Options
    This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • goldfinch
    goldfinch Member Posts: 735
    Options
    Thank you for the gentle reminder of what this holiday is all about.
    Mary
  • Betsydoglover
    Betsydoglover Member Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Bob -

A great reminder re what this holiday is all about.

Take care,
    Betsy
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Done and done! I like doing this on Memorial Day...do it every year...
    My dad was Navy...nothing prouder than him in his 'Dress Whites' with the 'scrambled eggs' on his hat...he is gone physically, but still I carry this picture of him in my heart...

Thanks, sb......hugs, Kathi
  • pink05
    pink05 Member Posts: 550
    Options
    I will definitely take a moment to remember those who gave their lives, fought, and continue to fight for us. That's what Memorial Day is all about.
  • fedester
    fedester Member Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    hey bob,
    thank you and all the branches of the armed services that protect this great country.
    and the decisive also.
    be well
    all the best
    bruce
  • finner
    finner Member Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    fedester said:

hey bob,
    thank you and all the branches of the armed services that protect this great country.
    and the decisive also.
    be well
    all the best
    bruce

I don/t think this has any place on a cancr survivors board. Too emotional ,too political.

Margo
  • kerry
    kerry Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this wonderful reminder. I pray for our troops and our country daily. We have so much to be thankful for.

Kerry
  • spongebob
    Options
    finner said:

I don/t think this has any place on a cancr survivors board. Too emotional ,too political.

Margo

Margo -

That is the great thing about this site - you can say what you think. That's what is great about this country - you can say what you think without fear of governmental persecution.

Sorry you disagree with my posting, but that's your right and as an active duty member of the United States Armed Forces, I have taken a solemn oath to protect and defend your right to say what you think - defend it with my life if necessary.

I am glad to see that others here are willing to acknowledge the ultimate sacrifice that my brothers and sisters in arms have made to ensure you keep that freedom. If you choose not to, again, that's your right and you should exercise it.

Emotional - you betcha!

Political - No way - no party lines nor athiests in a foxhole.

- SpongeBob
  • spongebob
    Options
    finner said:

Margo

Margo -

That is the great thing about this site - you can say what you think. That's what is great about this country - you can say what you think without fear of governmental persecution.

Sorry you disagree with my posting, but that's your right and as an active duty member of the United States Armed Forces, I have taken a solemn oath to protect and defend your right to say what you think - defend it with my life if necessary.

I am glad to see that others here are willing to acknowledge the ultimate sacrifice that my brothers and sisters in arms have made to ensure you keep that freedom. If you choose not to, again, that's your right and you should exercise it.

Emotional - you betcha!

Political - No way - no party lines nor athiests in a foxhole.

- SpongeBob
  • kangatoo
    kangatoo Member Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    kerry said:

Thank you for this wonderful reminder. I pray for our troops and our country daily. We have so much to be thankful for.

Kerry

Thanks for mentioning our ozzie mates who serve also Bob. My thoughts are with all those who have fallen, for those who serve now and may they return home safely to their families.
    Ross and Jen
  • cherriann
    cherriann Member Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    amen, amen
    cherri
  • JADot
    JADot Member Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Years ago, while on a business trip in France, a French friend took me to the American cemetery in Normandy, situated on a cliff overlooking the Omaha Beach. That sea of white crosses is what comes to mind for me every Memorial Day.

JADot
  • fandaj
    fandaj Member Posts: 81
    Options
    Hi SpongeBob, Thank you for posting your Memorial Day message. My husband is retired Army and I was a Reservist for nine years so I am glad there are still lots of patriotic Americans out there. I think it is wonderful that you are still such an important part of this website for so many years. Three years ago when I was first diagnosed you helped me with lots of advice and morale support. Thank you (and all the other regulars) for helping me and countless other cancer survivors. Regards, Arlene
  • spongebob
    Options
    fandaj said:

Hi SpongeBob, Thank you for posting your Memorial Day message. My husband is retired Army and I was a Reservist for nine years so I am glad there are still lots of patriotic Americans out there. I think it is wonderful that you are still such an important part of this website for so many years. Three years ago when I was first diagnosed you helped me with lots of advice and morale support. Thank you (and all the other regulars) for helping me and countless other cancer survivors. Regards, Arlene

Arlene -

You are a permanent part of our family. We're all here for each other. Thanks for your service - and your husband's, too. HOO-ah!! (did I ever mention my ENTIRE family is former Green Team? I'm the first to wear blue... and attain blacksheep status!)

Thanks again.

- SB