Friday morning laughs

Options
JADot
JADot Member Posts: 709 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi Guys:

I had chemo #7 yesterday,which made me throw up and break out hives last night. I still have swollen face and big lips, looking like a bad botox job! So, I'm desperately in need of a good Friday morning laugh!

And lo', I've stashed away a good tapework joke for occassions just like this :), straight from the Internet.

How do you kill a tapeworm?
1. Shove banana up your ahem,
2. Five minutes later, shove a chocolate chip cookie up your ahem.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 daily for a week.
4. On day 8, shove a banana up your ahem, but do not follow with chocolate chip cookie. Have scissors ready.
5. When tapeworm sticks his head out and says, "Where's my chocolate chip cookie," cut off his head.

Ok, ok, I think I am over my morbid fascination with tapeworms now, with this one.

Cheers and have a great day!
JADot

Comments

• scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    Oh honey, I think the chemo is affecting more then your face. You are too funny. I actually laughed at your joke but given the time, it was more like a Friday afternoon laugh.

After my emotional day yesterday, I needed the humor.

Lisa P.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Ahemmmm....point of order.....chocolate chip cookies should NEVER be wasted!!!!Especially on a TAPEWORM!!!!.....
    Thanks for the giggle!
    Hugs, kathi
  • DK2006
    DK2006 Member Posts: 126
    Options
    Hi JADot,
    I'm just curious, what do you think caused the hives? Treatment #7 was the one that I became allergic to the oxaliplatin. It was not a delayed reaction, it happened during infusion. Anyway, I'm just wondering what you're thinking. Best wishes, Donna
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Options
    UGH!!!

I am having flashbacks to the tapeworm thread that ran a couple months ago!!!

Thanks for the chuckle - I THINK!

Are they going to try Benedryl for your next treatment or just cut it back, JADot?
  • jerseysue
    jerseysue Member Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    7 got me too not quite like yours but I had a reaction so they stopped the oxiplantin. Nice joke.
  • JADot
    Options
    jerseysue said:

7 got me too not quite like yours but I had a reaction so they stopped the oxiplantin. Nice joke.

Hi Jerseysue:

Very interesting that 7 is where you had problem too. Thanks for sharing that! Hey I am calling the onc first on Monday morning if there's the chance that stop Oxaliplatin! Whoohoo! I'd whistle as soon as my lips go back to normal :)

Cheers,
    JADot
  • JADot
    Options
    scouty said:

Oh honey, I think the chemo is affecting more then your face. You are too funny. I actually laughed at your joke but given the time, it was more like a Friday afternoon laugh.

After my emotional day yesterday, I needed the humor.

Lisa P.

Hi Lisa P.

I am busted. Yup, chemo has definitely affected more than my face. Goofiness has become a permanent state of affair. That and I can't remember a darn thing, and as you notice, time challenged.

Glad I cheered you up a bit! Hey whatever it takes to get a smile (or a grimace) on someone's face!

Cheers,
    JADot
  • JADot
    Options
    KathiM said:

Ahemmmm....point of order.....chocolate chip cookies should NEVER be wasted!!!!Especially on a TAPEWORM!!!!.....
    Thanks for the giggle!
    Hugs, kathi

Hi Kathi:

My husband has gone way over board with this joke. Now every time he seems me he goes "Where's the chocolate chip cookie?"

Have a great weekend!
    JADot
  • JADot
    Options
    DK2006 said:

Hi JADot,
    I'm just curious, what do you think caused the hives? Treatment #7 was the one that I became allergic to the oxaliplatin. It was not a delayed reaction, it happened during infusion. Anyway, I'm just wondering what you're thinking. Best wishes, Donna

Hi Donna:

You guessed it. I am, ur, was on Oxaliplatin. I am pretty sure it was the Oxaliplatin which that gave me the hives, because it happened on my way home, right after my Oxaliplatin infusion. I didn't think it was the 5FU because I'd only been hooked up for minutes at that point.

I am guessing that it will probably start during the infusion next time too. I am getting pretty tired of the Oxaliplatin by now. If they'll stop it now it's not hurting my feelings. The onc at UCSF said that it's important to get the 1st 3 months of this stuff down, which I am now done with. More of it doesn't show substantial differcenc in his book. This guys (Alan Venook) did a big study on oxaliplatin for stage IIers and found that the difference is about 5%. You can google "Venook stage II" on the internet and get to his data if you're curious.

Did they stop oxa for you after your hives?

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Cheers,
    JADot
  • JADot
    Options
    spongebob said:

UGH!!!

I am having flashbacks to the tapeworm thread that ran a couple months ago!!!

Thanks for the chuckle - I THINK!

Are they going to try Benedryl for your next treatment or just cut it back, JADot?

Hi SpongeBob!

Gald I put a smile, ur, was it grimace, on your face! Don't worry, I am out of tapeworm anecdotes now :)

You bring up a good point - I don't know what they will do. I would rather stop oxaliplatin than to layer yet another drug on top of things. I think it's time I go for a 2nd opinion myself on what I should do. Do you know of somebody who was administered Oxaliplatin w/ benedryl? That sounds gruesome.

Cheers,
    JADot
  • jerseysue
    jerseysue Member Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    JADot said:

Hi Jerseysue:

Very interesting that 7 is where you had problem too. Thanks for sharing that! Hey I am calling the onc first on Monday morning if there's the chance that stop Oxaliplatin! Whoohoo! I'd whistle as soon as my lips go back to normal :)

Cheers,
    JADot

LOL I hope you are going to Halifax I would love to meet you.
  • DK2006
    DK2006 Member Posts: 126
    Options
    JADot said:

Hi Donna:

You guessed it. I am, ur, was on Oxaliplatin. I am pretty sure it was the Oxaliplatin which that gave me the hives, because it happened on my way home, right after my Oxaliplatin infusion. I didn't think it was the 5FU because I'd only been hooked up for minutes at that point.

I am guessing that it will probably start during the infusion next time too. I am getting pretty tired of the Oxaliplatin by now. If they'll stop it now it's not hurting my feelings. The onc at UCSF said that it's important to get the 1st 3 months of this stuff down, which I am now done with. More of it doesn't show substantial differcenc in his book. This guys (Alan Venook) did a big study on oxaliplatin for stage IIers and found that the difference is about 5%. You can google "Venook stage II" on the internet and get to his data if you're curious.

Did they stop oxa for you after your hives?

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Cheers,
    JADot

Hi,
    I'm glad that you'll be keeping an eye on your next treatment. An anaphylactic response is very scary. I'm still on oxaliplatin, but it's been reduced by a third. I also now need to take cimetidine, decadtron and benadryl the night before, morning of, and right before treatment. (I don't really like having to do this.) The reduced dose of oxaliplatin really helps. Neuropathy is much better, in fact, I have cold sensitivity for maybe 2 days and then there are really no other side effects from the oxaliplatin. The 5 FU is the one that really is making me feel toxic. I am stage 3a, and that's why I'm comfortable staying with the oxaliplatin. I'm sure if I was stage 2, I would probably stop the oxaliplatin. I'm doing treatment # 11 this week.
    Let us know what happens for your next treatment. Best wishes, Donna
  • lfondots63
    lfondots63 Member Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Hey JADot,

You are just way to funny. :)

The tapeworm joke was kind of gross and funny but the whistling was funny. I get benedryl before each treatment on Wednesday. I guess it is to stop the Oxiplatin reaction? Not sure. I also get Zofran before the Wednesday treatment. I wouldn't mind stopping the Oxiplatin either. Then I can again drink cold, icy drinks for the summer. LOL.

HUGS and tell us how it goes.

Lisa
  • JADot
    Options
    jerseysue said:

LOL I hope you are going to Halifax I would love to meet you.

Hi Jerseysue:

I would love to come to Halifax. Have always wanted to visit beautiful Nova Scotia, and now I get the extra bonus of meeting all of you all. I'll keep my tingly fingers crossed.

Cheers,
    JADot
  • JADot
    Options

Hey JADot,

You are just way to funny. :)

The tapeworm joke was kind of gross and funny but the whistling was funny. I get benedryl before each treatment on Wednesday. I guess it is to stop the Oxiplatin reaction? Not sure. I also get Zofran before the Wednesday treatment. I wouldn't mind stopping the Oxiplatin either. Then I can again drink cold, icy drinks for the summer. LOL.

HUGS and tell us how it goes.

Lisa

Hi Lisa:

I've run out of tapeworm jokes so I will clean up my jokes from now on :) I've got a really funny one coming this Friday!

Can you still drive yourself when you're on benedryl?

Cheers,
    JADot
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator