herception therapy

Options
artidevaki
artidevaki Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
hi, Pls let me know that will herception therapy help my mother,she has got reoccurance of cancer and she is in the stage 4, and will be taking 33 radio therapy, her cancer cells reoccur at the area of her breast, they look like small outgrowth pimples, will my mother be fine after her above treatment

Comments

• inkblot
    inkblot Member Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Hi artidevaki,

I'm sorry to hear that your Mother has suffered a recurrence and I know it's a very difficult time.

If you go to www.google.com and type in Herceptin, you should find a lot of helpful information. Also, go to www.cancer.gov (the national institutes of health website) and follow the links there and should also find some very helpful information about herceptin, in addition to cancer staging, etc.. I did not have Herceptin but know that many women have had a very excellent experience with it.

Keep in mind that much of what we read and hear concerning cancer is in terms of percentages. I say hogwash to percentages because each of us is unique, different and individual and no two people will have the same outcome or response to treatment. A lot of love and emotional support, I believe, can make a huge difference in a persons response, healing and recovery time. There is no substitute for a positive, "can do" attitude, so anything which strengthens your Mother's resolve and helps her spirit remain strong is a good thing indeed. Encourage her to remain as active and involved as possible and perhaps suggest that she join this site where she'll find a lot of caring, supportive women with whom she can share her concerns and issues. If there is a local support group near her home, she may find that very helpful as well. There are many good online support sites and again, check on google by typing in breast cancer support groups and you should find quite a few sites to check out.

Don't be afraid to ask her doctor any questions you may have about her treatment and care. It sometimes helps to write out questions to bring with you prior to seeing the doctor. The more informed you and your Mother are, the better.

Warm hugs and best wishes to both of you and please keep us posted.

Love, light and laughter,
    Ink
  • Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    Options
    I take herceptin. For HER 2 + cancers it is considered a God Send. Based on the studies it reduces the risk of recurrence by 50%. In other words if you Mother had a 20% chance of recurrence it would reduce it to 10% or if she had a 50% chance of recurrence it would reduce it to a 25% chance of recurrence. While Herceptin doesn't give you a garentee that the cancer will not come back, it a appears to be the best drug for HER 2+ cancers..... AND THE BEST PART is that it doesn't make you feel lousy like other Chemo drugs. However, do make sure that you keep a close watch on your Mom's heart. They do routine Echocardiagrams on me to make sure that it doesn't cause problems with my heart.

It I can help more email me or write back here.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    inkblot said:

Hi artidevaki,

I'm sorry to hear that your Mother has suffered a recurrence and I know it's a very difficult time.

If you go to www.google.com and type in Herceptin, you should find a lot of helpful information. Also, go to www.cancer.gov (the national institutes of health website) and follow the links there and should also find some very helpful information about herceptin, in addition to cancer staging, etc.. I did not have Herceptin but know that many women have had a very excellent experience with it.

Keep in mind that much of what we read and hear concerning cancer is in terms of percentages. I say hogwash to percentages because each of us is unique, different and individual and no two people will have the same outcome or response to treatment. A lot of love and emotional support, I believe, can make a huge difference in a persons response, healing and recovery time. There is no substitute for a positive, "can do" attitude, so anything which strengthens your Mother's resolve and helps her spirit remain strong is a good thing indeed. Encourage her to remain as active and involved as possible and perhaps suggest that she join this site where she'll find a lot of caring, supportive women with whom she can share her concerns and issues. If there is a local support group near her home, she may find that very helpful as well. There are many good online support sites and again, check on google by typing in breast cancer support groups and you should find quite a few sites to check out.

Don't be afraid to ask her doctor any questions you may have about her treatment and care. It sometimes helps to write out questions to bring with you prior to seeing the doctor. The more informed you and your Mother are, the better.

Warm hugs and best wishes to both of you and please keep us posted.

Love, light and laughter,
    Ink

I'm not a real fan of statistics, either, ink. My colorectal cancer stats said I should have died a year ago next month. Don't know about the breast cancer...still fighting...Still alive and kicking...unless I missed something...hummmm....
    Hugs, Kathi