Help with deciphering uptake scan results

wmott1122
wmott1122 Member Posts: 14
edited March 2014 in Thyroid Cancer #1
Hello,
After meeting with the ENT and telling him I refuse to "just watch" the septated cyst on my thyroid for 6 months, he agreed to a nuclear thyroid uptake scan. Two weeks after the test I got a phone call from the ENT's office saying they wanted to do a fine needle aspiration, but not to worry. They didn't tell me the results of the test, so I asked my sister-in-law who works in that office to make me a copy of the report. Here is what it says: "The patient received 412 MBq 99mTc Pertechnetate with imaging in multiple positions. The exam is compared to an ultrasound taken recently. There is an area of photopenia in the left lobe of the thyroid corresponding to a septated low attenuation cystic structure identified on ultrasound. There is uniform uptake of the radiopharmaceutical around the septated cystic lesion and in the right lobe of the thyroid. The thyroid lobes are symmetric. The 24 hour uptake is 28.9% Does anyone know what all of this means and should I be worried???? Thank you for any and all input!
Wendy

Comments

• alliesnene
    alliesnene Member Posts: 20
    Wendy,
    I suggest you see an endocrinologist, as their specialty includes thyroid disease. Also they would be able to give you the accurate interpretation of your report. I originally saw an ENT for a cyst on my neck, had surgery, and when it was detected that I had thyroid cancer, he referred me to an endocrinologist. Best of luck to you!
    Jen
  • wmott1122
    wmott1122 Member Posts: 14

Wendy,
    I suggest you see an endocrinologist, as their specialty includes thyroid disease. Also they would be able to give you the accurate interpretation of your report. I originally saw an ENT for a cyst on my neck, had surgery, and when it was detected that I had thyroid cancer, he referred me to an endocrinologist. Best of luck to you!
    Jen

Thank you Jen! I've been thinking about going to the endocrinologist. Was your cyst on the thyroid itself? Could you see it or feel it on your neck? What type of cancer did you have? Are you cancer free now? If you wouldn't mind sharing your story with me, I'd very much appreciate it. I'm 41 and have been surrounded by cancer over the last 7 years.....my husband had oral cancer in 1999 (now cancer free, but checkups often), my dad passed about 3 years ago from prostate cancer, my father-in-law passed in 2004 of stomach/esophageal cancer, my mother-in-law is a breast cancer survivor, and on and on......! I'm freaking out right now! You can always email me personally at wmott1122@bluefrog.com Thank you again!
    Wendy
  • alliesnene
    alliesnene Member Posts: 20
    wmott1122 said:

Thank you Jen! I've been thinking about going to the endocrinologist. Was your cyst on the thyroid itself? Could you see it or feel it on your neck? What type of cancer did you have? Are you cancer free now? If you wouldn't mind sharing your story with me, I'd very much appreciate it. I'm 41 and have been surrounded by cancer over the last 7 years.....my husband had oral cancer in 1999 (now cancer free, but checkups often), my dad passed about 3 years ago from prostate cancer, my father-in-law passed in 2004 of stomach/esophageal cancer, my mother-in-law is a breast cancer survivor, and on and on......! I'm freaking out right now! You can always email me personally at wmott1122@bluefrog.com Thank you again!
    Wendy

Hi Wendy,
    I have papillary carcinoma, and the cyst was on the side of my neck, atypical presentation. Long story. Please go to my web page. The title of my page is California Dreaming.....
    You should go to the web pages, and type that in under word or phrase. After that, please feel free to email here at this site.
    Look forward to hearing from you!
    JEN