Lumpectomy

Options
Nudge
Nudge Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Thank you everyone for your helpful advice. I have been to the chemo dr today and he had a little bit of promising and negative news. The cancer is average and normal growth but the negative is definately chemo and radiation, will know about Hormones after surgery as well as how much chemo etc. Also met with my hematologist (for my Von Wilbrands disease), and have my game plan mapped out for the day of surgery, hope all goes well with that. Hopefully it will not lower my blood pressure like the last time. I also get very sick from Anestesia and they have given me intervenus meds and still did not work. This time we are going to try the patch. I hope it works. How long did it take you all to lose your hair from the chemo? My daughter is having issues with this, does not want me to lose my hair. My drs are all so great....I am so happy I have picked such a great team. They are all keeping my health at the peak of their list. That is all I could wish for. Again thank you all and I will continue to hang around here for all the support.

Comments

• Future
    Future Member Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hair loss depends on which drugs they use. For me it started after my second treatment but we are all different. How old is your daughter? Depending on her age maybe she'd like to help you find some colorful scarves or hats to wear. Please let us know how you're doing.
  • pansylover
    pansylover Member Posts: 80
    Options
    May the Lord watch over you and your doctors as they treat you.
    I lost my hair after the 2nd treatment of chemo. But it depends which drugs they issue...my grandson thought it was neat to have a 'bald' nanna...
    prayers and thoughts to you.
    ((((Hugs))))
    Cindie
  • Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    Options
    I hope that your surgery will go well. I found that the surgery after I got over the naseau from the anestesia was really pretty easy. I lost my hair within 2 weeks of my first chemo treatment. I really hated it.... But before my first chemo treatment I went with a girlfriend and picked out a wig and a couple of hats. You may want to let your daughter help you pick some out. You can try on all types of colors... and maybe make it a fun outing. I know my friend and I laughed our way through it. By the way I bought an expensive wig at a store at the hospital... but found out later that the internet "Paula Young" wigs were just as good or better and they cost less than $40 each.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    If you want to play it hard, just tell her...'My choices are two...lose my hair, or lose my life...Let's fight this together!'
    I had a BALL at K-Mart picking out hats...
    But, on the LIGHTER side...cool in the summer, PLEASE use sunscreen...
    I lost my hair at second infusion. Well, started, I was able to last awhile before I had 'Barbie doll hair'. At that point, I had it buzzed...now, 4 weeks after last treatment, it's 1 inch long! (In other words, it's not forever). If your daughter is a teen, just name Melissa Manchester and Shania Twain...and suggest a nose pierce to go with it!
    Hugs from the STILL Semi-Bald Lady with the BIG MOUTH!!!!
    Kathi
  • JKAlley
    JKAlley Member Posts: 84
    Options
    KathiM said:

If you want to play it hard, just tell her...'My choices are two...lose my hair, or lose my life...Let's fight this together!'
    I had a BALL at K-Mart picking out hats...
    But, on the LIGHTER side...cool in the summer, PLEASE use sunscreen...
    I lost my hair at second infusion. Well, started, I was able to last awhile before I had 'Barbie doll hair'. At that point, I had it buzzed...now, 4 weeks after last treatment, it's 1 inch long! (In other words, it's not forever). If your daughter is a teen, just name Melissa Manchester and Shania Twain...and suggest a nose pierce to go with it!
    Hugs from the STILL Semi-Bald Lady with the BIG MOUTH!!!!
    Kathi

I lost my hair 10 days to 2 weeks after my first treatment. As soon as it started falling out, I went to my girl friend and had her shave it. Much better than watching it fall out bit by bit. My daughter was in high school, she wanted me to get a tatoo on my bald head. I considered it, but wiser minds won out. If your daughter is young, she might enjoy puting temporary tatoos on yours. Mine would draw on my head, since I wouldn't go for the real thing. Never knew what I might wake up with. Just look at the bright side, showers take no time - nothing to shave, nothing to wash, and no annoying chin hairs to pluck. Mostly remember, this to will pass, Judy