Sleep Apnea

Options
mssue
mssue Member Posts: 242
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to post that for the last 3 years I thought this constant fatigue was left by the Chemo.While some of it maybe , I was tested last night for Sleep Apnea,the tech came in my room several times through the night, she told me this morning that I had severe Sleep Apnea-I stopped breathing 60 to 80 times in a 2 hour period,my oxigen levels dropped into the 60's and they are suppose to be around 92 or 93.I was really shocked with the results.At least now I know I'm not just imagining things.They said someone would be contacting me in a few days about bringing a machine to my house.

I am going in for pre op tommorrow for surgery on Friday,they will be removing the dog ear they left from the mastectomy and a lump(non-cancerous) on my shoulder same side ,it continues to grow and it hurts to wear a bra.Wish me luck or better yet say a prayer,they were suppose to do the procedure in the Doctors office but after being seen-said they had to put me out for this one.It is kinda scary-haven't put alot of thought into what it's going to be like after the surgery.But I will survive this too. Hate to see so many on the board(because of cancer) it sure has grown but I'm glad to see You taking care of each other-Take care and God Bless You All!

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    My beau has a machine...it's more common than you might think! And, his went undiagnosed for so long that he has suffered permanent heart enlargement.
    A word of advice (or a couple...hehehe). It takes awhile to get used to the machine, both you and your sleep partner, if you have one. The good news: now I sleep better with the white noise sound of the machine, too.
    There are all sorts of different masks. Try them until you find the one that is the most comfortable. Sort of like a retainer after braces....if it is uncomfortable, you won't use it.
    Good vibes for the surgery...I'm sure it will be fine!
    Please feel free to e-mail me at CSN with any questions.
    Hugs, kathi
  • tlmac
    tlmac Member Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    There is a brand new study out that sheds light on why some women can't seem to get past the fatigue, even after chemo is behind them. They now believe it has to do with the immune system not shutting down and it's far more common than originally thought. It's definitely NOT in your head. You might want to read this:
    http://www.cancerfacts.com/Home_News.asp?NewsId=2005&CB=14&CancerTypeId=4
    cancerfacts.com.

Good luck with your surgery!
    terri
  • mssue
    mssue Member Posts: 242
    Options
    Hi Terri and Kathi,
    Thank you both for your reponses,I really appreciate the information.I checked that web site Terri, I'm glad that they are finally recognizing the situation,it will affect soooo many people. And by the way my surgery did go great- right now it is still numb but I'm so excited that I won't have that extra skin and all to deal with anymore and my clothes will fit better.Thanks Kathi for your input on the sleep apnea machine-wow the day I posted was the day they called,came out and set it all up-I wasn't expecting it to happen so quickly. I think I had forgotten what it feels like to really feel good and rested- can't wait to go to bed again,LOL

I guess my main reason to post in the first place was to bring to the attention of others things that could or maybe should be checked into for chronic fatigue. My best wishes always to everyone,Love Ya!
    Sue