cancer post treatment

Options
mjjporter
mjjporter Member Posts: 15
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has any tried or heard of the ostteoporosis medication that is suppose to be as good with less side effects, than the current meds, and what are the side effects.

Comments

• LesleyH
    LesleyH Member Posts: 370
    Options
    EVISTA (raloxifene) has been shown to be nearly as effective as tamoxifen in preventing breast cancer in high risk women. The problem, of course, is in defining high risk women. Most of the women at high-risk would not have got it anyway. It may not apply to those of us who actually have had breast cancer. It has not been researched head-to- head with tamoxifen or any of the aromatase inhibitors. If you already have had breast cancer, it is unlikely to be used - at least not yet.

Hugs.

Lesley
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    LesleyH said:

EVISTA (raloxifene) has been shown to be nearly as effective as tamoxifen in preventing breast cancer in high risk women. The problem, of course, is in defining high risk women. Most of the women at high-risk would not have got it anyway. It may not apply to those of us who actually have had breast cancer. It has not been researched head-to- head with tamoxifen or any of the aromatase inhibitors. If you already have had breast cancer, it is unlikely to be used - at least not yet.

Hugs.

Lesley

Yup, Lesley, but the good folks in research are going to go after this next...the STAR program was good, but now the makers are going after authorization to script Evista as a Tomoxifene replacement. The aromatase inhibitors are good, but play heck with us that ALREADY have osteoporosis. I have one onc that is suggesting Tamoxifene for me, even tho I am eligible for the others...
    Hugs for such a knowlegable you! Kathi
  • DebRoa
    DebRoa Member Posts: 31
    Options
    I am taking tamoxifen now. I will take if for 3 more years. After that my gynecologest wants me to take Evista. I am a survivor. I am pre-menopausal at this time so am not a candidate for the aromatase inhibitors. I also have had problems with osteopenia.

deb