Stomach problems after kemo and surgery

Options
Missyk325
Missyk325 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi! I'm wondering if anyone else has had this trouble. My Mom has went through 8 treatments of kemo and a Lumpectomy and removal of her nodes. They found cancer in 3 our of 5 nodes early on. She had kemo first and after surgery, the doctors said they found no signs of cancer in her tumor or the rest of her nodes. Her Surgery was March 27th. She started radiation last week. Since her surgery she has felt sick to her stomach. When she mentioned it to her surgeon, all she said was it's to be expected. My mom just thought it was a late reaction to the kemo treatments since she has so much trouble during kemo. She finally called her onocologist and she told mom to come up this Wednesday for a brain scan. Why a brain scan for a stomach problem?? I have kept my faith that Mom was going to be okay. Even while watching her be so sick and tired all the time. I am so proud of her outlook and strength through this whole process. My fear is that the reason they want to do a brain scan is they think it has now spread to the brain. Again why else would you do a brain scan for a upset stomach?? Has anyone else had a similar experience? I'm sorry I'm rambling, but I thought the worse was over for her and this has hit me hard and I can't imagine what is going through her mind...she puts up a good front. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Melissa

Comments

• epgnyc
    epgnyc Member Posts: 137
    Options
    Hi, Melissa. I had breast cancer surgery in 2002 (they had to go back in a second time to get a better margin) and I was very sick afterwards. It was strange too because I'd had several surgeries before and never had any reaction to anesthesia. I wasn't violently ill or anything, but I felt nauseous for the entire 3 1/2 weeks before I started chemo....and of course from there things got even worse. I lost 20+ lbs. for the entire 7 months as I often couldn't eat, depsite all the anti-nausea medications I was taking. Everyone is different in their reactions. I'll say a prayer that your mother's brain scan is negative. I know at my hospital they were always doing tests to rule things out -- making you crazy in the process of course. I had an MRI and a CT scan to "rule things out." But I was fine and I hope your mom will be too.
  • AuthorUnknown
    AuthorUnknown Member Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Melissa,

I too had surgery, then chemo, then radiation and I'm sorry to say I was extremely nauseated and sick to my stomach throughout the entire time, including radiation. In fact, the vomiting got worse during radiation despite the fact that I was told it probably wouldn't happen. I am happy to report that I've been finished with radiation for a little over a year and all is well. So, have faith. I'm sure your mom will be just fine once all treatments are completed.
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398
    Options
    I am nine year IDC breast cancer survivor who was 36 at time dx'd with 11 out of 21 positive nodes as well. I don't want to lesson your outlook but some of us have problems and in my case with everything they did to me including surgery.
    I have to say my experience with being sick and having stomach problems extensive. I pretty much got every side effect possible though the doctors wouldn't acknowledge it till 4 years later and finally treated me for the diseases left behind.
    It took me years to finally find the relief of my pain and seemed to get over these episodes I would have of vomiting and sweating and there never seemed to be any reason for them. Thank God that is over now. I hope your mother finds the help she needs.
    Tara
  • Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    Options
    Hope that the scan will bring only good news and relief. Know that our prays are with you and your Mom.

Take care.... God Bless....
  • Missyk325
    Missyk325 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Melissa,

I too had surgery, then chemo, then radiation and I'm sorry to say I was extremely nauseated and sick to my stomach throughout the entire time, including radiation. In fact, the vomiting got worse during radiation despite the fact that I was told it probably wouldn't happen. I am happy to report that I've been finished with radiation for a little over a year and all is well. So, have faith. I'm sure your mom will be just fine once all treatments are completed.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences, well wishes and prayers!!! It seems that my mom too has experienced most the side effects they say might happen. Her sickness during kemo lasted longer then they predicted during the first 4 treatments. She had extreme pain from the second series of treatments so they changed kemo types and she had a allergic reaction to that kind and had to go back to the kind that made her hurt all over. I've read books, read these message boards so I had a idea what to expect. This problem just blind sided me. As the old saying goes...I guess it's time to pull the boot straps up, keep finding humor wherever we can find it, keep the faith and prayers going and face this problem head on like we have everything else. Again thank you for letting me express my fears here so I can be stronger for her. Through your sharing...I gain strength, Through your kind words and prayers...I gain faith. God Bless you all! Melissa