Lumpectomy

Nudge
Nudge Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello everyone. I am having a lumpectomy on Thursday at age 36. I found the lump myself, and after many tests that showed nothing had an MRI from a breast center that showed it. Then proceeded to have a biopsy that showed it was cancer. My arm pit is always sore with tingling in fingers, so scared that it has spread. What guidance can everyone give me what to expect day of surgery and for recovery. Also I have Von Willebrands (bleeding disease) so surgery will require medicine to stop bleeding.

Comments

• LesleyH
    LesleyH Member Posts: 370
    So sorry you have joined our elite little band. We are hoping for the best possible outcome for you. The pain and tingling may be due to anything at all. There is no point in trying to figure what is causing it, yet. The period between the diagnosis and surgery is so difficult. I started coughing. I was convinced the cancer had spread to my lungs, but it was just a cough. I spent nights agonizing in fear all for nothing. This is what we do.

The lumpectomy is relatively easy. I spent one night in hospital because the anaesthetic made me so sick. I spent about 4 weeks recovering and then had chemo because I had positive nodes. Then I had 6 weeks of radiation. I would guess that because you are so young, you will have chemo as well. - Even if you don't have positive nodes. After the surgery, they will tell you if you are estrogen and progesterone and Her2 positive. Then your treatment depends on these factors.

Please write to me with any questions. I have been through so much unnecessary worry that I would be glad to help other avoid the same.

I will put you down for Thursday. We will be thinking of you.

Hugs.

Lesley
  • katcam
    katcam Member Posts: 83
    the first time i found a lump, i had the lumpectomy then 2 weeks later had all the nodes under my left arm removed. i was also 34 then (that was in 1990). i had 6 weeks of radiation, but no chemo. i had to see the oncologist every 6 months for 10 years, then just once a year. then in 2004, they found something on the right side. i had my lumectomy and the sentinal node surgery at the same time as an outpatient. mine was cancer (again) - not spread to the nodes (yeah). the tumor was in the duct. i had pains shooting down my arms beforehand and thought it had spread or i was having a coronary. neither was true. it's funny what your mind can do... i had 6 weeks of radiation, but no chemo. they put me on tamoxifen which i will take for 5 years. i will be thinking and praying for you that all goes well. good for you on finding the lump and getting it taken care of!! :-) kat
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Welcome to the breast brigade! I had a lumpectomy, sentinal nodes and next 5 nodes removed (during surgery sentinal node biopsy showed cancer, so next set was removed), and a drain inserted. I stayed overnight, because of the drains, and I react badly to anesthesia. The next morning, I was sore, but took nothing worse than Tynenol.
    AS soon as I could (this from my surgeon, as well) I started exercising to get my arm movement back. It wasn't easy at first, 'wall walking': stand next to a wall, with arm raised comfortably up, hand against wall. Walk your fingers up a few 'steps' and back. Do every day. Gets easier. Also I did alot of bend-straight from elbow. You can do this lying down. I have full range of movement back.
    Also, Vitamin E oil, rub on incisions. 2 times a day. I have very little scaring.
    ALL OF THIS: run by your surgeon before you start.
    Hugs, Kathi
  • katcam
    katcam Member Posts: 83
    KathiM said:

Welcome to the breast brigade! I had a lumpectomy, sentinal nodes and next 5 nodes removed (during surgery sentinal node biopsy showed cancer, so next set was removed), and a drain inserted. I stayed overnight, because of the drains, and I react badly to anesthesia. The next morning, I was sore, but took nothing worse than Tynenol.
    AS soon as I could (this from my surgeon, as well) I started exercising to get my arm movement back. It wasn't easy at first, 'wall walking': stand next to a wall, with arm raised comfortably up, hand against wall. Walk your fingers up a few 'steps' and back. Do every day. Gets easier. Also I did alot of bend-straight from elbow. You can do this lying down. I have full range of movement back.
    Also, Vitamin E oil, rub on incisions. 2 times a day. I have very little scaring.
    ALL OF THIS: run by your surgeon before you start.
    Hugs, Kathi

oh, yeah. i forgot about the wall walking! both times i was told to start exercising my arm about 1 - 2 days after surgery. in 1990 i had a bad reaction to the anesthesia also so i was in the hospital for 4 days! they put something in the IV this last time, and i was home the same day. like you said Kathi, i was sore & a little stiff at first, but i regained full range on both sides. it came pretty quickly for me - when i had my first followup with the surgeon i asked if i could start working out with weights again - had to start slowly and build up, but i rarely have any swelling of either arm. :-) kat
  • Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    I had a lumpectomy about a year ago, with sentinal node removal. My cancer had spread to a few of my lymp nodes. I was also Estrogen & Progrestron + and HER2 +. My treatment was chemo, 6 weeks of radiation & currently I am on a full year of Herceptin treatments (that is easy). I do believe that the hardest time for me was prior to the surgery and then prior to starting chemo. The fear of the unknow. Actually the surgery was easy and overnight stay in the hospital - other than the anethisia making me sick forabout 12 hours it was no big deal. And the look of the breast was much better afterward than I thought it would be. So I hope you will be lucky and not have to do the chemo, but if you do there are many of us who have made it over that hurdle. My Doctor's way of describing breast cancer... was a time period when I would have to slow down and regroup for the rest of my healthy life. Somehow having it described to me that way really made the months ahead much better. Keep in touch here, I found it to be great help, when I didn't know how things would work. There are so many others who have been there who are more than willing to help.

Take Care.... God Bless...

Susan
  • Nudge
    Nudge Member Posts: 7
    Thank you everyone for your helpful advice. I have been to the chemo dr today and he had a little bit of promisining and negative news. The cancer is average and normal growth but the negative is definately chemo and radiation, will know about Hormones after surgery as well as how much chemo etc. Also met with my hematologist (for my Von Wilbrands disease), and have my game plan mapped out for the day of surgery, hope all goes well with that. Hopefully it will not lower my blood pressure like the last time. I also get very sick from Anestesia and they have given me intervenus meds and still did not work. This time we are going to try the patch. I hope it works. How long did it take you all to lose your hair from the chemo? My daughter is having issues with this, does not want me to lose my hair. My drs are all so great....I am so happy I have picked such a great team. They are all keeping my health at the peak of their list. That is all I could wish for. Again thank you all and I will continue to hang around here for all the support.