Flush & Rash with FOLFOX6

Dale423
Dale423 Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi Everyone,

Got my 3rd treatment today. (Colon stage III). As at the 2nd treatment, my face has turned red and the back of my arms and hands look like they've broken out in red pimples. No problems breathing or any swelling. Right after the 2nd treatment I got a virus and was put in the hospital due to high fever. My Primary Care Physician added Benadryl which seemed to help. But my oncologist freaked and is worried about skin peeling. My oncologist also said the Benadryl wouldn't help, but it did. So I've taken a couple of OTC Benadryl tablets tonight to try and fight off the redness.

Has anyone experienced these symptoms on FOLFOX 6?

(Oxaliplatin, 5FU, and Leucovorin)

Thanks in advance for any input.

Bless you all!

Dale

Comments

• debralla
    debralla Member Posts: 203 Member
    Hello Dale
    I am on OXY/LUC/AVASTAN/5fU And I get flushed around my neck area after every treatment . last about a week . One time I think it was my 2nd or 3rd treatment I went out and sat on my porch for like 15 min it was just a little sunny ,But when I came in I had a red flushed face ,it lasted a few days followed by some slight peeling . I am sure your Dr. has told you that you become very sensitive to the sun . I am sure the few min I was out was the cause of my red face never had the red face again and today I received my 10th treatment .As for the red dots on your arms I would ask your onc about your platelet count . I always get a copy of my blood counts and my platelets have droped below normal a few times and I noticed that I would get little pin size dots . Also make sure you are wearing loose clothes I had red dots one time from wearing sweat pants that had elastic around the ankles and I got those little red dots all around my ankles . as for the peeling and dry skin I use Eucerin calming cream ,even put it on my dry lips at night and works pretty good for me .
    TAKE CARE AND GOD BLESS
    DEBRA
  • DK2006
    DK2006 Member Posts: 126
    Hi Don,
    I'm also on folfox and also became hypersensitive to the oxaloplatin during my 7th treatment. It occurs in 1/200 people. You should take this very seriously. During my 7th treatment I turned red and broke out in hives and my nurses gave me benadryl and other drugs. I was given benadryl and other drugs the night before, morning of treatment and right before treatment and there were no problems for my 8th treatment. (I'm going in for the 9th treatment tomorrow.) If you're turning red AFTER treatment, I agree with Debra and it might be hypersensivity to the sun. I hope this makes sense as I'm writing this in a hurry. Best wishes, Donna
  • JoyceCanada
    JoyceCanada Member Posts: 134
    Hi Dale:

Treatment #1 was a honeymoon. #2 I spiked a very high temperature and my face and neck were bright red. It looked as though I had stuck my head in a hot oven...eye socket was white but the bones on my cheeks very very tight and burned.
    I'm currently in chemo 5FU/continuous radiation scheduled for 30 treatments. I've completed 16 and my oncologist is "rethinking Folfox"...she says I'm here to cure you not kill you.

I have the feeling that when my radiation is over I'll be on 5FU/Lev for the last rounds.

It is very interesting to hear that your symptoms where fimilar to mine, the drug company claimed that they had never had a report of this type.
    Oh by the way my platelets dropped during this treatment and I had to delay my radiation for 1 week.
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    Some people do have an allergic reaction to the FOLFOX -- and this can be quite serious -- so I agree with others that this needs to be taken seriously. It is good that you are not having any problems breathing (or heart palpitations, anything like that?). I used to get swollen lips, which lasted for a few days, even when I was taking something like Benadryl. So, the FOLFOX (actually, the oxaliplatin) clearly does cause some people to have these skin reactions....Good luck and best wishes.
  • mindy10
    mindy10 Member Posts: 182 Member
    DK2006 said:

Hi Don,
    I'm also on folfox and also became hypersensitive to the oxaloplatin during my 7th treatment. It occurs in 1/200 people. You should take this very seriously. During my 7th treatment I turned red and broke out in hives and my nurses gave me benadryl and other drugs. I was given benadryl and other drugs the night before, morning of treatment and right before treatment and there were no problems for my 8th treatment. (I'm going in for the 9th treatment tomorrow.) If you're turning red AFTER treatment, I agree with Debra and it might be hypersensivity to the sun. I hope this makes sense as I'm writing this in a hurry. Best wishes, Donna

My fahter had the same thing that his face got really red. He got a rash twice so the Dr took him off the Oxplictan. He did try the Benedryl and it worked a little. I hear of alot of people that get the rash with the Oxiplictan.
  • andyc56
    andyc56 Member Posts: 42
    This happened to my wife at least twice during her Folfox6 treatment. Benadryl was added to her drip and that took care of it. Good luck and best wishes.
  • JADot
    JADot Member Posts: 709 Member
    Hi Dale:

Sorry to hear about your struggle.

I never had hives but did have very flushed face. I asked to be taken off a steroid-based nausea drug and that cleared things up for me.

Hope they find something that works for you!

JADot
  • nanuk
    nanuk Member Posts: 1,358 Member
    JADot said:

Hi Dale:

Sorry to hear about your struggle.

I never had hives but did have very flushed face. I asked to be taken off a steroid-based nausea drug and that cleared things up for me.

Hope they find something that works for you!

JADot

it could be the steriod-I had a terrible reaction-not unlike a feelin g that I was coming out of my skin..which dissapeared when steroids were discontinued. Bud
  • lfondots63
    lfondots63 Member Posts: 818 Member
    Hi Dale,

I haven't had any rash but some sensitivity to the sun. Didn't realize until now that it was the chemo. Just thought it was normal pale self reaction. Glad to find out about the rash though. Forewarned is forearmed. At least I will know what to ask. Good luck and make sure they check it out.

Lisa