Synthroid and Menopause

kaye4
kaye4 Member Posts: 12
edited March 2014 in Thyroid Cancer #1
Weight gain--hello! :( Are any of you experiencing menopause symptoms and problems? I currently take 150mcg of Levothyroxine. In 1999 I had a total hysterectomy. Just before discovering I had a thyroid problem, I asked my dr if I could come off the premarin due to fluid retention (which was a side effect). I have not been taking any hormone replacement drugs since and have been doing pretty good without it. But, I continue to put on the weight! Do any of you know of any weight loss drugs that would be o.k. to take?? Any suggestions and replies will be appreciated!

Comments

• alliesnene
    alliesnene Member Posts: 20
    Hi Kaye,
    I was dx'd with thyroid cancer in '94, my weight gain was always associated to my being hypo, undermedicated at times. I had uterine cancer in '99, had a complete hysto. This did not seem to have any affect on my weight.
    Most over the counter weight loss drugs, if you read the fine print say "do not use if you have thyroid disease". Ask your endo to check your TSH levels just to make sure you are sufficiently medicated.
    TC,
    Jen
  • kaye4

Hi Kaye,
    I was dx'd with thyroid cancer in '94, my weight gain was always associated to my being hypo, undermedicated at times. I had uterine cancer in '99, had a complete hysto. This did not seem to have any affect on my weight.
    Most over the counter weight loss drugs, if you read the fine print say "do not use if you have thyroid disease". Ask your endo to check your TSH levels just to make sure you are sufficiently medicated.
    TC,
    Jen

Jen,

Thanks for your reply. Are you taking HRT and if so what kind. Thanks.
  • kaye4

Hi Kaye,
    TC,
    Jen

Jen,

• alliesnene
    alliesnene Member Posts: 20
    kaye4 said:

Jen,

Hi Kaye,
    I have been taking Estrace since my hysto. I stopped taking it 1 year and couldn't tolerate the menopause side effects. So went on again, then off again last winter. Side effects had decreased, however my mom has ostesteroisis which was the reason I chose to go back on HRT. My oncologist and endocrinologist aren't concerned that HRT causes other cancers. So many doctors and so many opinions, right? Listen to your body and do what's right for you!
    Good Luck,
    Jen