Am I a survivor?

Options
jmears
jmears Member Posts: 266
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello All - I'm walking in my second Avon Breast Cancer Walk at the end of the month. I walked last year right after I found out that the cancer had returned to my spine. I wore a survivor cap which was probably a mistake because people would ask me how many years survivor and when I'd tell tham that it would have been 4 but I just found out it came back ... I could tell it freaked a lot of people out. Especially those just done treatment. I don't think I'll wear the cap this year because although I'm okay things are constantly cropping up and I don't want to freak anyone out again. I suppose I am a survivor until I'm gone ... but what is survivorship? Hope everyone is getting the wonderful Spring weather we have in the Washington DC area.

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    You are a survivor from the day you are diagnosed...REGARDLESS of what stage of treatment you are in...If asked, just say I am still in treatment...
    Isn't it great to know that you are something POSITIVE during all the tough stuff????
    Also, congrats on your Avon Walk...and I will be in DC in September...with Celebration on the Hill..what's the weather like then?

Hugs,
    Kathi
  • LesleyH
    LesleyH Member Posts: 370
    Options
    KathiM said:

You are a survivor from the day you are diagnosed...REGARDLESS of what stage of treatment you are in...If asked, just say I am still in treatment...
    Isn't it great to know that you are something POSITIVE during all the tough stuff????
    Also, congrats on your Avon Walk...and I will be in DC in September...with Celebration on the Hill..what's the weather like then?

Hugs,
    Kathi

I agree with Kathi. You are a survivor. Your answer is 5 years.

Hugs.

Lesley
  • hummingbyrd
    hummingbyrd Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    LesleyH said:

I agree with Kathi. You are a survivor. Your answer is 5 years.

Hugs.

Lesley

We are ALL survivors from the moment we take our next breath after the diagnosis!
    You, however, in my opinion are a two time survivor. You whipped this thing once and now you've whipped it again. Stupid cancer cells, think they can beat us, hmmph...
    WE ARE SURVIVORS!
    It's crossing the street and watching out for traffic that will get you!
    God bless!
    hummingbyrd