Frustrated

Options
Kitty3571
Kitty3571 Member Posts: 48
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello all, just found out about this website today - I'm also a new member to this exclusive group. Found my lump in Feb-06, lumpectomy and node removal 1 week later followed by 24 weeks of chemo then radiation. Then during a chest xray they found another tumor in my lung, followed by a painful lung biopsy - Those results were negative - Thank God! Just finished my 2nd week of chemo (getting it every 2 weeks) plus New Lasta - Having difficulties dealing with all the changes to the body - Tired, nausea, loosing hair, etc....I had a pretty good appetite until this 2nd treatment, now the past couple of days I've been unable to eat due to mouth & throat pain. Today, my Oncologist is prescribing a mouth wash which will hopefully help my situation. Food has no taste and it hurts to eat and even drink certain things (can't have my coffee which makes me even more grouchy!) Anyway, I guess I just wanted to gripe about me - not that it makes me feel any better. I am hopeful about my prognosis and I truly do feel blessed. I'm 39, Stage 1, found my tumor myself due to pain I was having for 3 weeks. 2.2 cm and I still have most of my breast left which is good. Still trying to deal with my medi-port. Feels like an alien in my chest! Just doesn't belong - ya know? Thanks to all for listening!!!

Comments

• rmigz
    rmigz Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hello, I found out I had cancer when I was 44.I am a 2yr survivor of stage 3 breast cancer (April 5th was my 2nd anniversary. I had a Lumpectomy and node removal. Just to let you know, the port you had put in is probably one of the best decisions you made. Although it bothers you now, it will get less noticeable. Saves alot on your veins. The other thing I wanted to talk to you about is about losing your hair. My hair started to fall out everywhere. I took my 18 yr old daughter with me to the hairdresser and had it all shaved off. Pretty tramatic at first but incredibly freeing. My husband also shaved his head in support of me. In the end I had no hair on my body at all (great..no shaving). I had some hats and scarves to wear but most of the time I just walked around bald. I wish you all the best in you journey...be strong! Also keep a good sense of humor (I used to look in the mirror and think I looked like Uncle Festa on the Adams Family. Not that you won't have some really down days but for the most part try to keep your spirits up. I also read alot of spiritial literature. Hang in there sister. I've met women who were diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, 6 month suvival rates, who have lived 7 yrs!!! Never give up hope.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Hi, Kitty, first of all WELCOME! (I hate having to say that...sigh...because it means there is another that has to fight the beast!!!!)
    8/05 I had a lumpectomy, node removal, stage II HER2-neg, ER-Pos, 2 sentinal node.
    A/C, followed by T for chemo, resting for a little bit before rads.
    Colorectal ca before....chemo, rads, surgery.

THAT all said!
    Yes, my taste went bonkers...I couldn't drink ANYTHING warm....but icy stuff, great!!!! I used regular alcohol-free mouthwash (I got mouth sores), I liked it better than the perscription stuff. Try ICED coffee to get your hit...I missed my coffee, too...could always tell when chemo was over, hot tasted ok again!
    New Lasta can actually be causing some of the joint pain...I had one day (1 day after injection) that was terribly painful...used heating pad on my shoulders, soaked in a warm bath.
    CONGRATS on the news from the LUNG!!!!!
    As far as griping...please feel free here, we have all been there, done that....
    Hugs,
    Kathi
  • krkath
    krkath Member Posts: 72
    Options
    rmigz said:

Hello, I found out I had cancer when I was 44.I am a 2yr survivor of stage 3 breast cancer (April 5th was my 2nd anniversary. I had a Lumpectomy and node removal. Just to let you know, the port you had put in is probably one of the best decisions you made. Although it bothers you now, it will get less noticeable. Saves alot on your veins. The other thing I wanted to talk to you about is about losing your hair. My hair started to fall out everywhere. I took my 18 yr old daughter with me to the hairdresser and had it all shaved off. Pretty tramatic at first but incredibly freeing. My husband also shaved his head in support of me. In the end I had no hair on my body at all (great..no shaving). I had some hats and scarves to wear but most of the time I just walked around bald. I wish you all the best in you journey...be strong! Also keep a good sense of humor (I used to look in the mirror and think I looked like Uncle Festa on the Adams Family. Not that you won't have some really down days but for the most part try to keep your spirits up. I also read alot of spiritial literature. Hang in there sister. I've met women who were diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, 6 month suvival rates, who have lived 7 yrs!!! Never give up hope.

Hey Kitty,
    Welcome aboard even though I am so sorry you have what you have to deal with. But, the people here are great!
    I went through similar and the Neulasta was horrible pain. (They said mild to moderate) while I was up all night crying from the aches and pains in my bones. BUT, I never got sick and even at 10 months recovery Taxotere combined with A/C then Radiation...I never got ill, which is the key to keep your infusion sessions on time. I did however just 2 weeks ago catch a cold. My thought was the drugs are finally getting out of my system. It takes time.
    My side effects actually started a month after I finished Radiation. I mean bone pain in my legs for me. It took me a while to get my appetite back and that's why I ate a lot of Haagendoz Ice Cream. Everything else tasted like cardboard! I pretty much had to make myself eat when the mouth sores went away. Lots of soups. Wolfgang Puck is great!
    You have my sympathy totally. Keep coming back because sharing your feelings and what you are going through physically, you will get a lot of support and responses from this group.
    While I was going through all this, I hadn't known of this website, but got a lot of supporting e-mail from my co-workers. That in itself helped because you just want to keep in touch with the outside world, since ours has forever changed. We are different and this website has been so kind and supportive since I first logged on. Keep hangin' in there and Congratulations on being over the hard part. Even though there will be times your mind will need reassurance. It is physically and emotionally draining at times. So keep coming back and share your good days and bad days. YOU ARE STRONG AND YOU ARE BRAVE.
    Kathy R. and HUGS to you also. We all do really care.
  • Kitty3571
    Options
    rmigz said:

Thanks to all who responded to my gripes today - It's reassuring to know that I can get stuff off my chest and people actually understand what I'm going through - although I wish there wasn't anyone else at all in the world going through what I am. Nonetheless, it's helps to chat about it. Thanks again, God Bless, Kitty
  • Kitty3571
    Options
    KathiM said:

Hi, Kitty, first of all WELCOME! (I hate having to say that...sigh...because it means there is another that has to fight the beast!!!!)
    8/05 I had a lumpectomy, node removal, stage II HER2-neg, ER-Pos, 2 sentinal node.
    A/C, followed by T for chemo, resting for a little bit before rads.
    Colorectal ca before....chemo, rads, surgery.

THAT all said!
    Yes, my taste went bonkers...I couldn't drink ANYTHING warm....but icy stuff, great!!!! I used regular alcohol-free mouthwash (I got mouth sores), I liked it better than the perscription stuff. Try ICED coffee to get your hit...I missed my coffee, too...could always tell when chemo was over, hot tasted ok again!
    New Lasta can actually be causing some of the joint pain...I had one day (1 day after injection) that was terribly painful...used heating pad on my shoulders, soaked in a warm bath.
    CONGRATS on the news from the LUNG!!!!!
    As far as griping...please feel free here, we have all been there, done that....
    Hugs,
    Kathi

Thanks also for the Iced Coffee suggestion - Didn't think of it - I'll try it! Could be yummy!!!
  • Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    Options
    Sorry to hear that you have joined our club... but you will find you that we are a pretty good group and we really do understand what you are going through. A couple of thoughts... I found that Biotene mouthwash and toothpaste helped. It is for dry mouth and can be found in the drug store. It got to where regular toothpaste burned and really was uncomfortable.

Also, if you have problems with pain with the Nuelasta shot, ask them to change you to Nuepogene. You have to take the shot every day for 10 days, but I had little to no pain with it and it really did a lot better on keeping my White Blood Cell Count up. My insurance allowed me to take them home with me, so I learned a new skill, giving myself a shot. It wasn't too bad and it really beat the pain that I had with Neulasta.

Just some ideas. Hope things will go as well with you as possible.

Take Care... God Bless... and recognize that this is just a temporary condition... you will make it to the other side and be healthy again.

Susan
  • LesleyH
    LesleyH Member Posts: 370
    Options
    Hi Kitty,

I'm sorry you have joined us, but welcome nevertheless. The ladies have all given you excellent advice. I'm so glad your lung biopsy was negative. I had a lesion on my liver on the CT scan but that was negative and the relief was so incredible. Eating is a problem for some women, though most put on weight. I found exercising whenever I could, helpful. I also had acupunture. Diana Dyer has some great recipes for shakes that might help. Her website is www.cancerrd.com.

Hugs.

Lesley