Synthroid and moodiness

Hold
Hold Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Thyroid Cancer #1
I had my thyroid removed 2 months ago and have been on Synthroid (.175mg) for 5 weeks. While I do not feel hypothyroid any longer I am feeling bouts of moodiness and irritablity (a little brain fog too). My doc said to take one day a week OFF the synthroid which in-effect will reduce the dosage by 17%. On the day that I don't take it I feel MUCH better. Has anyone else experienced this and can you share your thoughts on why this happens?

Comments

• alliesnene
    alliesnene Member Posts: 20
    Hi,
    I've been on synthroid since '94, after complete thyroidectomy. And every time I have gone hypo for testing, well that's the time I experience moodiness and brainfog. Usually I think I'm moody due to insomnia which being hypo usually brings on for me. I do know, that after surgury, for most of us, it takes at the minimum 1 yr. for the endo to get you on the appropriate amount of synthroid.
    Good Luck,
    Jen
  • cravtap
    cravtap Member Posts: 11
    yes i have the same problem. I take 275 a day and feel horrible every day of my life. I spoke with my Doc about it and he says it has to be that way to keep the cancer from returning.
    cravtap
  • am_martin
    am_martin Member Posts: 6
    I'm on .175 mg or 175 mcg but a lot of the symtoms are alike for hypo and hyperthyroid and here's some stuff i found out to tell which you are because i've been hyper and moody and my hands have been dry and my hands have never been dry before in my life I had a tyroidectomy, parathyroidectomy, and 9 lymph nodes removed but here's what i've found out about hyper and hypo and if your hyper watchout about the thyroid storm I'm going to put what can cause that too on here
    hypothyroid

Fatigue, exhaustion, depression, moodiness, sadness, difficulty concentrating, difficulty remembering, sensitivity to cold, cold hands and feet, inappropriate weight gain, or difficulty losing weight, dry, tangled or coarse hair, and hair loss, especially from the outer part of the eyebrow, brittle fingernails, muscle and joint pains and aches, tendinitis of arms and legs, carpal tunnel syndrome, plantars fascitis - sole of the foot pain, swelling or puffiness of eyes, face, arms or legs, heart palpitations, low sex drive, infertility, recurrent miscarriages, heavy, longer, more frequent or more painful menstrual periods, high cholesterol levels, especially when it’s unresponsive to diet and medication, worsening allergies, itching, prickly hot skin, rashes, hives (urticaria), chronic infections, including yeast infections, oral fungus, thrush, and sinus infections, shortness of breath, difficulty drawing a full breath, constipation, neck feels full or sensitive, raspy, hoarse voice
    low basal body temperature below 97.8 to 98.2 degrees in the morning

hyperthyroidism

nervousness, irritability, nervousness, or panic attacks, difficulty concentrating, short attention span, palpitations, irregular heartbeat, high pulse and heartbeat, atrial fibrillation, feeling hot, sweating more than usual, hand tremors, diarrhea, fatigue, dry skin, even thickened patches on shins and legs, fine, brittle hair, infertility, periods are lighter, less frequent, or stop altogether, muscle weakness, especially in the upper arms and thighs, eye problems, including double vision, scratchy eyes, bulging, sensitivity to light

Thyroid Storm

Some people with Graves' disease or hyperthyroidism -- an overactive thyroid that is producing too much thyroid hormone -- develop a condition known as thyroid storm. It's not common however; only 1-2% of patients with hyperthyroidism develop thyroid storm. During thyroid storm, the heart rate, blood pressure and body temperature can become uncontrollable high. Whenever thyroid storm is suspected, the patient must go immediately on an emergency basis to the hospital, as this is a life-threatening condition that can develop and worsen quickly, and requires treatment within hours to avoid fatal complications such as stroke or heart attack.
    Risks for Thyroid Storm
    Untreated Graves' disease and/or hyperthyroidism is a particular risk factor, as is being female.
    Even when the Graves' disease is identified and being treated, however, certain other factors raise the risk of thyroid storm:
    Infection: lung infection, throat infection or pneumonia
    Blood sugar changes: Diabetic ketoacidosis, insulin-induced hypoglycemia
    Recent surgery to the thyroid
    Abrupt withdrawal of antithyroid medications
    Radioactive iodine (RAI) treatment of the thyroid
    Excessive palpation (handling/manipulation) of the thyroid
    Severe emotional stress
    An overdose of thyroid hormone
    Toxemia of pregnancy and labor
    Symptoms
    What are the symptoms of thyroid storm?
    High fever of 100 to as high as 106
    A high heart rate that can be as high as 200 beats per minute
    Palpitations, chest pain, shortness of breath
    High blood pressure
    Confusion, delirium and even psychosis
    Extreme weakness and fatigue
    Extreme restlessness, nervousness, mood swings
    Exaggerated reflexes
    Difficulty breathing
    Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
    Recent dramatic weight loss may have taken place recently
    Profuse sweating, dehydration
    Stupor or coma
    Thyroid storm is treated with a combination of antithyroid drugs, blockade iodine drug, beta-blockers, and treatment for any underlying non-thyroidal illness or infection that may becontributing to the thyroid storm.
    NOTE: If thyroid storm is suspected, go to an emergency room immediately!

This is the stuff I have come up with so far but with thyroid problems life can be miserable but what we can do is try to advocate for it and try to do something about it so maybe they can come up with things to make our lives better and less worrysome.